[Update] SimpleOCR v3.5

ArjanDotOrg

SimpleOCR v3.5

Overview :

Use SimpleOCR to add accurate character recognition capabilities to
your custom software without the complexity and expense of runtime
licensing. SimpleOCR is the only OCR API that's Royalty Free. Save
hundreds on every runtime license. Features: Competitive OCR accuracy.
Recognizes many documents better than its high-cost competitors.
Implemented as a C++ library with ActiveX wrapper included for easy
integration. Based on WOCAR by Cyril Cambien. API now includes an
ActiveX wrapper dll for easy integration. Supports input from TIFF, BMP
and JPEG image files. Supports color and grayscale images. Verifier
that compares suspected errors to the original image. Bundled with
14-day evaluation of CharacTell's handprint recognition engine. A video
demo is now included that demonstrates how to use the application. API
comes with include files for easy integration in Visual Basic and
Delphi. API returns coordinates of recognized words and images.

What's New:

* Template matching in OCR engine
* Ability to limit the character set used in OCR
* API now includes an ActiveX wrapper dll for easy integration
* Supports input from TIFF, BMP and JPEG image files
* Supports color and grayscale images
* Verifier that compares suspected errors to the original image
* Bundled with 14-day evaluation of CharacTell's handprint
recognition engine
* A video demo is now included that demonstrates how to use the
application
* API comes with include files for easy integration in Visual Basic
and Delphi
* API returns coordinates of recognized words and images
* Several crash bugs were eliminated

Homepage: http://www.simpleocr.com/

For related software, check out:
http://www.arjan.org/?Business/Home:Productivity

Kind regards,

_____
Arjan

E-mail: (e-mail address removed) (remove NOSPAM)
Homepage: Arjan.org's Absolute Freeware Links (http://www.arjan.org)

John Corliss

ArjanDotOrg said:
[...]

My impression of this program on the two occasions that I've tried it,
is that the stand-alone version doesn't do that good of a job. Kind of
like the commercial software "Omnipage LE" was compared to the full
version of "Omnipage". The accuracy percentage was horrible unless
you're scanning 12 point courier on a very clear image. In this case,
the program is a sort of lure for their API and "document imaging systems":

"Download SimpleOCR, a fully-featured, free OCR application. 100%
ad-free SimpleOCR is funded by sales of our API and document imaging
systems. Click here to request a demo of our API."

In essence, it's darned near a combination of crippleware and PROmotionware.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe with this update, the program's character
recognition is accurate enough to make it worth installing. In the past
though, I always removed SimpleOCR after trying it out because of its
terrible lacking of capability.

John Corliss

John said:
[...]

Understand that I've not tried their $ware versions, so they might be
bad too.

Bob Adkins

My impression of this program on the two occasions that I've tried it,
is that the stand-alone version doesn't do that good of a job. Kind of
like the commercial software "Omnipage LE" was compared to the full
version of "Omnipage". The accuracy percentage was horrible unless
you're scanning 12 point courier on a very clear image. In this case,
the program is a sort of lure for their API and "document imaging systems":

My impression is it's a PITA, and doesn't work very well at all.

Unless this is a killer release, I'd rather just type. :-\

-- Bob

Susan Bugher

"Download SimpleOCR, a fully-featured, free OCR application. 100%
ad-free SimpleOCR is funded by sales of our API and document imaging
systems. Click here to request a demo of our API."

In essence, it's darned near a combination of crippleware and
PROmotionware.

Bundling is fast becoming a dirty word in my book. I'd be happier if they'd left out:

Especially since they offer no info about system requirements. . .
Correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe with this update, the program's character
recognition is accurate enough to make it worth installing. In the past
though, I always removed SimpleOCR after trying it out because of its
terrible lacking of capability.

I found the last version about as accurate as the version of Textbridge ($ware) I have. IOW - good
enough to be useful to me. I see they have a webware page now - looks like an easy way to try the
new verison:

http://www.simpleocr.com/Demo/

"Welcome to the SimpleOCR Active Server Pages demo. This demo will allow you to upload an image that
will be OCRed using SimpleOCR, and will then return the text. Images should be black and white TIFF
files with a minimum of 200 dpi resolution, 300 dpi is optimal."

I dunno why they specify "black and white TIFF" if they have really have support for "TIFF, BMP and
JPEG image files". Reading their web pages it looks like that might be *limited* support for. . .

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware
http://groups.google.no/groups?q=+group:alt.comp.freeware&hl=en