Update - Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library - Runtime Error

G

I must apologize up front for the length of this post. But, I want to make sure that I get sufficient details documented to be of use to others.

I recently (06-01-04) upgraded my Norton AntiVirus 2003 to Norton Internet Security (NIS) 2004 (which comes with all kinds of goodies now – Norton AntiVirus, Personal Firewall, Parental Control, Ad Blocking, Anti-Spam, etc.). Subsequent to installation, I have been receiving the following runtime error message when I launch Outlook (which is part of my Office XP Professional suite):

“Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library - Runtime Error – Program: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office 10\Outlook.exe
This application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application’s support team for more information.â€

After about the third attempt to launch Outlook, it usually launches successfully. But, it is still very annoying. My operating system is Windows XP, Home Edition, and my Outlook is a component of the Office XP, Professional suite. Microsoft recommends the following “fix†for this issue; however, this did not resolve my runtime error message issue.

1. Launch Outlook
2. Click on “Tools†on the menu bar
3. Click on “Options†from the drop down list
4. Click the “Other†tab
5. Click on “Advanced Options..†under the General Section
6. Click on “Add-In Manager..â€
7. Uncheck the box titled “Exchange Extensions property pageâ€
8. Then, click on “Okayâ€

Therefore, yesterday (06-09-04), I decided to call Symantec for support. After about two (2) hours on the telephone, this is what I discovered. Apparently, Symantec and Microsoft have been working this “recent†issue. I was told that this is a fairly specific event and is more tied to the operating system than it is to Outlook, and is a result of the NIS anti-Spam functionality. Specifically, Symantec indicated that it occurs most prevalently under these following two (2) conditions: 1) Windows XP, Home Edition users with more than four (4) user accounts; and 2) Office XP Professional (or Home) with more than four (4) Outlook accounts. My system had six (6) of each set up. So, I removed two (2) each of the user accounts and the Outlook accounts. And, so far, so good – I have not received the runtime error message (yet).

This seems to have worked. Does anyone else have any experience with this?

Thanks,
Mike Neely
(e-mail address removed)

Ask a Question