UPDATE creates duplicate record???

Reaction score
I'm ot sure if this is the right place to post or if it's been asked before but I've been sat staring at my PC for about 2 hours (probably without blinking) and I'm close to murder!

from a web page... I am attempting to update a table with a composite primary key. These key fields are also linked to other tables... All i'm basically wanting to do is decrement a stock level by one like so...

UPDATE tblSourceType
SET Currentstock = CurrentStock-1
WHERE (SourceId = 'TWW1')
AND (MagazineId = 'HF1')
AND (TypeId = 1)

All three criteria 'WHERE' fields are the primary keys but i dont understand why it says it will create a duplicate record bearing in mind im not updating any of the primary fields... Also, when i put it directly into the Access Query window, it works fine :(

Any help.. or an explanation would be greatly appreciated

Reaction score
sounds like your using access

get a linux server and host mysql

your query seems right, but access, though ive never used for web, can be very finicky.

Reaction score
Very true...

I would but its a total nightmare... the whole project was written in 97 with a Access VBA front end which they still use... we've tried linking to SQL Server but the front end wont connect properly... nightmare!]

Anyway, on another Access is finicky front... the problem was simply one of syntax (kind of). Instead of wrting the string, I created it in Access Query window and copied the string... it looks a little different

UPDATE TblSourceType SET TblSourceType.CurrentStock = "CurrentStock-1"
WHERE (((TblSourceType.SourceId)='TWW1') AND ((TblSourceType.MagazineId)='HF1') AND ((TblSourceType.TypeId)=1));

For some reason, this works, eventhough it is fundamentally identical to the one i did! I still dont understand WHY it didnt work other than what you mentioned :(

Reaction score
Also...

seeing as u've put ur spec down... i'll let u know what my company has supplied me with to run the following..

Photoshop CS2
Visual Studio 2003
Macromedia Flash 2004

Intel Pentium 3 500Mhz / 384 Mb sdram / unbelievably crappy on board Graphics / and 20Gb HDD
... i have no CD/DVD drive because they had to use the drive space for a new HDD... before that i was working with 10Gb and my own External HDD linked to a... u guessed it... USB 1 connection.... imaging opening photoshop CS2 from an Ext HDD on USB 1... no wonder im 'slowly' going mental

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
That sounds quite painfully tedious hubare, running all those programs on that spec. I run them on a 3GHz P4 with a gig of DDR400 and some things are still slow.

Ask a Question