Unused References in Bibliography

M

Mike

I have entered a number of references into the "Manage Sources" menu, but
have not yet included them into the document. However, everytime I press
"update citations and bibliography", unused references appear. They appear
eventhough I haven't yet inserted them into the main text.

Also, I have selected APA style, but the references listed in the
bibliography are not double spaced or hanging paragraph as APA style requires.

I wanted to use Word 2007's reference tool as an escape from Endnote, but if
I can't figure out these problems, I fear that I'll have to go back to
Endnote.

Thanks,

B

Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Hi Mike,

In Manage Sources there are two lists, the Master list and the Current[document] list that you build from the Master List. As you
use an item from your Current List in a Citation in your document a 'cited source' check mark appears next to the entry in Manage
Sources=>Current List.

When you're ready to add a Bibliography, the entries are taken from the Current list, on the assumption that you do intend to use
the selected sources in the document. The bibliography generator ignores the currently used/not used state.

You can use the [Delete] button on Manage Sources=>Current list to remove items you are not going to use in the document. It
doesn't impact the Master List so you can add them back, as needed.

The Bibliography's that are generated consist of the Word 2007 Bibliography Field/Content control. The content of individual
Citation or Bibiligraphy entries comes from the Bibliography style sheet (.XSL) file for your chosen Reference Style, (APA in your
scenario), but the style/formatting of the Bibliography are separate, coming not from the Bibliography formatting but rather from
your choice of Word styles, as you would apply to other text in the rest of the document. This allows you to use Word 2007 Quick
Style[Sets] in Word 2007 to modify the heading, font, etc of the Bibliography without modifying its content.

Word comes with two, 'block layout' sample gallery entries 'Bibliography' and 'Works Cited'. Each entry consists of:

1. A Heading formatted in 'Heading 1' paragraph style.
2. Conent entries formatted in 'Bibliography' paragraph style.

(use Shift+F1 in Word to open the 'Reveal Formatting' pane and then click in the text of different parts of the Bibliography in your
document to see the styling detail.

To illustrate the effect of Quick Style Sets, make an extra copy of your document, then in the copy generate a bibliography. Next
use
Home=>Change Styles=>Style Set
and apply either the 'Formal' or 'Fancy' style set. Then look again at the samples in the Bibliography gallery and note that the
format in your document for the current Quick Set is also the format in the Gallery entries.

To Create your own entries that reflect formatting that suits your needs (for example hanging indents), one method is to insert a
Bibliography in your document using one of the default 'block format' Bibliography/Works Cited choices from the Bibliography
gallery, then create/modify and then apply Word styles to the entry. For example, I created a Biblio2 style that I use in the body
of the Bibliography entries that has indents.

To save your customized version to the Bibiliography Gallery for reuse, as needed selecting the handle (top left corner) of the
content control of the inserted Bibliography, open the Bibliography gallery or use Alt+F3, and put the entry in the 'Bibliography'
gallery and give your Bibliography a name.

The gallery entry will look like it has retained content as well as formatting but it only saves the styling.

================
I have entered a number of references into the "Manage Sources" menu, but
have not yet included them into the document. However, everytime I press
"update citations and bibliography", unused references appear. They appear
eventhough I haven't yet inserted them into the main text.

Also, I have selected APA style, but the references listed in the
bibliography are not double spaced or hanging paragraph as APA style requires.

I wanted to use Word 2007's reference tool as an escape from Endnote, but if
I can't figure out these problems, I fear that I'll have to go back to
Endnote.

Thanks, <<
--

Bob Buckland ?:)
MS Office System Products MVP

*Courtesy is not expensive and can pay big dividends*

Ask a Question