unresolved external symbol ___security_cookie

Olivier Lechenne

I am converting some projects from VS 6.0 to VS .NET 2003 and I get a linker
error
error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol ___security_cookie or

error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol ___security_cookie

Does anybody knows where does this symbol comes from? Is it because I am
using a wrong library or have some bad compiler/linker options?

Thanks for any help

Olivier Lechenne

Logitech Inc.

Yan-Hong Huang[MSFT]

Hello Olivier,

Thanks for posting in the group.

When getting the errors:

error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol ___security_cookie
error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol @__security_check_cookie@4

in Visual Studio .NET, it is likely that another library is being pulled
into the project. Add the /verbose:lib switch to the Linker command line
and do a rebuild all. This will output all of the libraries that are being
searched. If you see any libs that live in folders that are not part of
the Microsoft Visual Studio .NET install folder and you are not sure why
they are there, then that is probably the cause of this problem.

Go to Tools | Options | Projects | VC++ Directories and in the Include
Files and Library Files directories check for additional paths that should
not be there.

Also, the "unresolved external symbol ____security_cookie" problem has also
been seen when building DLLs in Visual Studio .NET with the /GS ("buffer
security check") flag. This problem is lightly discussed in the MSDN:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vccore/html
/vclrfGSBufferSecurity.asp

The workarounds given are:

* Not use arrays in any functions that call (or end up calling) CRT_INIT,
for example, use _alloca instead.
* Let the CRT initialize normally. Don't specify your own entry point, use
DllMain instead (and don't call CRT_INIT).

Does that answer your question?

Best regards,
Yanhong Huang
Microsoft Online Partner Support

!From: "Olivier Lechenne" <[email protected]>
!Subject: unresolved external symbol ___security_cookie
!Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 10:56:04 -0700
!Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vc
!
[...]

Thanks for your help.
The /GS flag was the culprit since I am building DLLs and SYS files.

Olivier Lechenne
Logitech Inc.

Yan-Hong Huang[MSFT]

Hi Olivier,

I am glad to hear that the problem is resolved.

Thanks for participating the community.

Best regards,
Yanhong Huang
Microsoft Online Partner Support

!From: "Olivier Lechenne" <[email protected]>
!Subject: Re: unresolved external symbol ___security_cookie
!Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 14:22:39 -0700
!Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vc
!
!Thanks for your help.
!The /GS flag was the culprit since I am building DLLs and SYS files.
!
!Olivier Lechenne
!Logitech Inc.
!!> Hello Olivier,
!>
[...]
!> Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
!> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
!rights.
!>
!> --------------------
!> !From: "Olivier Lechenne" <[email protected]>
!> !Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 10:56:04 -0700
!> !Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vc

Olivier Lechenne

How do I figure out how to link to the CRT? I thought that by having the /MT
option defined it would link with the corresponding CRT library
automatically.

Any help is welcome.

Olivier

Brandon Bray [MSFT]

Olivier said:
How do I figure out how to link to the CRT? I thought that by having the
/MT option defined it would link with the corresponding CRT library
automatically.

Are you using a different libcmt.lib to link with? The ones installed with
the Visual Studio are in the Vc7\lib directory. If the LIB path is
different, you could be linking with a different CRT.

Cheerio!

Joined
May 6, 2011
Messages