unreadable email

Edward

Hi all,

Some how I received emails from some sender which is unreadable. I am using
Outlook 2003 SP2 and OS is Vista home premium. Could anyone tell me how to
fix it? Thanks a lot!

Regards
Edward

Here is the example:

Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 09:26:56 +0800
From: "Yi, Zong Yuan" <[email protected]>
To: undisclosed-recipients:;

VanguardLH

in message
Hi all,

Some how I received emails from some sender which is unreadable. I
am using
Outlook 2003 SP2 and OS is Vista home premium. Could anyone tell me
how to
fix it? Thanks a lot!

So the e-mail is in several MIME parts (the first clue that it might
be spam or an infected email to hide that content across multiple
same-type parts). Can't tell since you didn't bother to show the MIME
delimiter lines that were within the body of the e-mail.

It's possible a content-type was declared within the MIME part(s)
within the content (body) of the e-mail for which you have no handler
defined to decode that encoded MIME part. Can't tell since you didn't
bother to show the MIME delimiter lines that were within the body of
the e-mail.

Perhaps one or more of the MIME parts was incomplete (truncated or
missing a MIME delimiter line). Can't tell since you didn't bother to
show the MIME delimiter lines that were within the body of the e-mail.

Could be the MIME part declares a character set that you cannot read.
The sender (203.191.3.114) sent from Hong Kong where English and
Catonese are the official languages, so maybe the sender wrote in
Cantonese. Can't tell since you didn't bother to show the MIME
delimiter lines that were within the body of the e-mail.

You get the gist of why no one can analyze the non-disclosed body of
the e-mail - because you didn't bother to show ... well, you've read
that line 4 times now.

Brian Tillman

Edward said:
Some how I received emails from some sender which is unreadable. I am
using Outlook 2003 SP2 and OS is Vista home premium. Could anyone
tell me how to fix it? Thanks a lot!

You received this as a Bcc. Outlook 2003 on Vista has an apparent bug that
causes Outlook to not render HTML when a message is received that way. It's
a problem only with Outlook 2003 on Vista and Microsoft is looking into it.

MK

Hi all,

we have the same problem and sender system is Outlook 12:
To jest wieloczêœciowa wiadomoœæ w formacie MIME.
------=extPart_000_0033_01C8863B.E77D4C40

Brian Tillman

MK said:
we have the same problem and sender system is Outlook 12:

You and a number of people. Did you intend to ask a question or just add a
"me, too"?

MK

You wrote that's only Vista and Outlook 2003 issue and I don't think so. We
have the same problem in Poland. If someone who use Outlook2007 try send
message to us. I think we are not able to recognize message formating, but I
don't know how can I check it.

Brian Tillman

MK said:
You wrote that's only Vista and Outlook 2003 issue and I don't think
so. We have the same problem in Poland. If someone who use
Outlook2007 try send message to us. I think we are not able to
recognize message formating, but I don't know how can I check it.

The sender system has nothing to do with it, as far as I can tell.

leonv

The phrase Microsoft is looking into it has been out there for at least a
month. Is there any feedback on the priority of this issue or when a fix
should be available? I would be happy to alpha/beta.

Thanks,
Leon

Brian Tillman

leonv said:
The phrase Microsoft is looking into it has been out there for at
least a month. Is there any feedback on the priority of this issue
or when a fix should be available? I would be happy to alpha/beta.

Microsoft has not reported back to me.

Bill R2D2

Brian,

I have a .msg format example. It does have a couple peoples email addresses
in it that I don't want to post in a public forum. How can I get you a copy
of it? I can create a temporary email account that I can post here for you
to reply to.

Bill

Brian Tillman

Bill R2D2 said:
I have a .msg format example. It does have a couple peoples email
addresses in it that I don't want to post in a public forum. How can
I get you a copy of it? I can create a temporary email account that
I can post here for you to reply to.

I don't need it. I've already sent numerous examples to Microsoft.

VistaNewbie

Brian Tillman said:
You received this as a Bcc. Outlook 2003 on Vista has an apparent bug that
causes Outlook to not render HTML when a message is received that way. It's
a problem only with Outlook 2003 on Vista and Microsoft is looking into it.

I receive a newsletter that appears to have the same problem. I use Outlook
2003 (11.8206.8202) SP3 on a Vista Home Premium.

In your reply to Edward above you indicate that the issue is with Outlook
2003 SP2. It appears that SP3 didn't resolve it.

Is there a way to read the e-mails using another mail client? I tried
importing the e-mails from Windows Mail but that didn't help. I also tried
forwarding the e-mails to my Hotmail account and reading them using Internet
Explorer but that too failed?

I even tried using a uuencode / uudecode program to decode the text but I
haven't been able to get that to work.

I know you said Microsoft is aware of the problem but is there a workaround
we can use in the interim?

VistaNewbie

Brian Tillman said:
Microsoft has issued a hotfix for the problem. Request it and install it.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951982/en-us

Requested the fix. Installed it. No effect on the garbled e-mails.

Is it possible that the fix only applies to new e-mails that are received
after the hotfix was applied? If so, are the e-mails that have already been
downloaded to Outlook and removed from the server unreadable forever?

Brian Tillman

VistaNewbie said:
Requested the fix. Installed it. No effect on the garbled e-mails.

Is it possible that the fix only applies to new e-mails that are
received after the hotfix was applied?

Correct. Anything you've already received will remain as it is.