Unknown source of beeping

Andy

I keep getting a periodic beeping sound on my XP system.

I am trying to determine the source.

It is the same sound you get when a device is plugged on or disconnected.

What can I check for

OldGuy

Andy a écrit :
I keep getting a periodic beeping sound on my XP system.

I am trying to determine the source.

It is the same sound you get when a device is plugged on or disconnected.

What can I check for

Me too!!!
It is the sound of a USB Pen drive being plugged in or unpluggeed but
there are no pen drives pluged in.
I happens seldom so it is difficult to trace the source.
I know of no USB logging app to run to catch it.

Uwe Sieber

OldGuy said:
Andy a écrit :

Me too!!!
It is the sound of a USB Pen drive being plugged in or unpluggeed but
there are no pen drives pluged in.
I happens seldom so it is difficult to trace the source.
I know of no USB logging app to run to catch it.

Here is a small console program I made some time ago
which shows upcoming device arrival and removal events:
http://www.uwe-sieber.de/files/listdevevents.zip

Uwe

Buffalo

"Andy" wrote in message
I keep getting a periodic beeping sound on my XP system.

I am trying to determine the source.

It is the same sound you get when a device is plugged on or disconnected.

What can I check for

Check your smoke alarm battery. :)

J. P. Gilliver (John)

At a guess, loose connection in some USB device that _is_ plugged in -
are your mouse and keyboard USB? Including inside the connector, or
where it's soldered to the board. (In a lot of laptops some peripherals
- often the camera, maybe in-built card readers - are connected via USB
internally, though they'd be less likely to be loose.)
Here is a small console program I made some time ago
which shows upcoming device arrival and removal events:
http://www.uwe-sieber.de/files/listdevevents.zip
Ooh, upcoming events? That's clever!
Actually, looks a most useful little utility.

Andy

You can start by identifying the sound.

/Start / Control Panel / Sound & Audio Devices / Sounds
shows in the lower panel a list of Program Events, each
of which may be configured to a characteristic sound
(marked by a loudspeaker cone when configured.)
When you highlight any of these its filename appears
in the bottom window (listing WAVe files.)

Or you can browse through these WAVe files in
C:/Windows/Media. Each plays when you click on it.

After identifying the filename of the recurring sound,
you can search for it via REGEDIT which may help
to identify what prompts it.

It is one of these 2.

They sound almost identical and I could not find them in any unusual locations.

Andy

Windows XP Hardware Insert.wav
Windows XP Hardware Remove.wav

Paul

Andy said:
It is one of these 2.

They sound almost identical and I could not find them in any unusual locations.

Andy

Windows XP Hardware Insert.wav
Windows XP Hardware Remove.wav

Have you looked in your setupapi.log logs ?
What about Event Viewer ?

These are long shots, as information sources.

Paul

OldGuy

NOTE: some apps like this detect USB drives but NOT USB WebCams.
Does this console app detect external USB WebCams?
If so, what API are you using to do so?

Uwe Sieber

OldGuy said:
NOTE: some apps like this detect USB drives but NOT USB WebCams.
Does this console app detect external USB WebCams?
If so, what API are you using to do so?

Yes, it shows arrival and removal events of any
device managed by the windows device manager.
It just registers a hidden window for receiving
device notifications of any device class:

HDEVNOTIFY hNotify = RegisterDeviceNotification(
hwndNotifyWin,
&dbh,
DEVICE_NOTIFY_WINDOW_HANDLE | DEVICE_NOTIFY_ALL_INTERFACE_CLASSES);

Uwe

Andy

Have you looked in your setupapi.log logs ?
What about Event Viewer ?

These are long shots, as information sources.

Paul

Event viewer did not show anything, I will look at setupapi.log and see what I can find.

I have a usb device that gives me 5 ports.

I may disconnect it and plug the other devices into other ports and see if the beeping stops.

Andy

OldGuy

Yes, it shows arrival and removal events of any
device managed by the windows device manager.
It just registers a hidden window for receiving
device notifications of any device class:

HDEVNOTIFY hNotify = RegisterDeviceNotification(
hwndNotifyWin,
&dbh,
DEVICE_NOTIFY_WINDOW_HANDLE | DEVICE_NOTIFY_ALL_INTERFACE_CLASSES);

Uwe

Thanks!
I think that is the same as I am using in my little app I just wrote.
It does NOT detect my Logitec USB WebCam in and out but does detect other
USB and even other devices that are NOT USB.
Wondering why the WebCam does not register.

Have you tried a WebCam on your PC with your app?