Uncrackable Passwords

Computer Guru

Hi all,
For those of you paranoid about their security, this is the perfect document
for you. My company just finished publishing this whitepaper, and we've
launched it
on our forums in hopes that it will make your PC more secure. As a matter of
fact, we can guarantee it will!

Abstract:
"Every password today, no matter for what application or what it secures, is
built on a base of 68 "letters" or characters. Some applications use less,
but none use more. Brute force password cracking has become more and more
viable due to the exponentially increasing power of individual machines and
the even greater power of the government's cluster servers, making it now an
easy and fast way of recovering any password.

But there is a solution. There are more than 1,000 other letters that no one
knows about! With these extra letters, it is possible to make passwords that
are, for all practical purposes, uncrackable!"

Link: http://www.neosmart.net/forums/index.php?gettopic=10

*PS If you like it, please register and leave a comment... we could do with
the traffic

Jon

Computer Guru said:
[...]

You'll have to bring out an ultra big keyboard for it too :)

Jon

David Candy

You just need a manual next to the computer telling one how to enter all these characters. Brute force tend to reley on words not characters. Military have computers that check passwords against all known words in any language - if it matches (even partially) a word you may not use it. A brute force attack on windows has three attempts.

Computer Guru

Actually, brute force attacks load a hashset, and act on it. No limit on
attempts.
"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
You just need a manual next to the computer telling one how to enter all
these characters. Brute force tend to reley on words not characters.
Military have computers that check passwords against all known words in any
language - if it matches (even partially) a word you may not use it. A brute
force attack on windows has three attempts.

Jon

Not difficult to come up with an uncrackable password. Having a password
that takes ages to enter, though, would only encourage people to become lazy
& come up with an automated way of entering it eg copy and paste from a
file on disk - which would then raise other security issues.

Jon

Computer Guru

Read the PDF
I cannot show you here, because Outlook Express is an ancient program, but
open up Wordpad, and hold down the left alt, and then type 230 on the num
pad, then let go of alt.
You will get a unicode character.
Same for other keycombos

kurttrail

Computer said:
Read the PDF
I cannot show you here, because Outlook Express is an ancient
program, but open up Wordpad, and hold down the left alt, and then
type 230 on the num pad, then let go of alt.
You will get a unicode character.
Same for other keycombos

LOL! You do realize that the majority of this group are part of the
computer illiterati?

--
Peace!
Kurt Kirsch

kurttrail

Computer Guru wrote:

*PS If you like it, please register and leave a comment... we could
do with the traffic

Ah! You do realize that you are spamming this group, don't ya?

--
Peace!
Kurt Kirsch
Self-anointed Moderator
http://microscum.com
"It'll soon shake your Windows
And rattle your walls
For the times they are a-changin'."

David Candy

That will insert the OEM character. 0230 will insert the ANSI character. Only codes higher than 255 will insert the unicode character.
230 = µ
0230 = æ

Understand 0 to 127 is the same in OEM or ANSI. 0 to 255 is the same in ANSI or Unicode. At least in English.

Computer Guru

Not really.
I'm an active member in other MS newsgroups, I have provided you with (IMO)
valuable info, and haven't asked for anything in return.
It is a legit message, and if you don't want to post there, don't....

This coming from one who uses the email address:
(e-mail address removed).............

Computer Guru

My apologies :D

kurttrail said:
LOL! You do realize that the majority of this group are part of the
computer illiterati?

--
Peace!
Kurt Kirsch
Self-anointed Moderator
http://microscum.com
"It'll soon shake your Windows
And rattle your walls
For the times they are a-changin'."

Leythos

Abstract:
"Every password today, no matter for what application or what it secures, is
built on a base of 68 "letters" or characters. Some applications use less,
but none use more. Brute force password cracking has become more and more
viable due to the exponentially increasing power of individual machines and
the even greater power of the government's cluster servers, making it now an
easy and fast way of recovering any password.

While you might be right, in the real world, a simple 15 character
password can't be broken in 30 days by anything I've seen.

PopS

Computer Guru said:
Hi all,
For those of you paranoid about their security, this is the
perfect document
for you. My company just finished publishing this whitepaper,
and we've
launched it
on our forums in hopes that it will make your PC more secure.
As a matter of
fact, we can guarantee it will!

Guarantee: How? What is your company? Where is the forum
located? Seems like you should have that info all right here.
Abstract:
"Every password today, no matter for what application or what
it secures, is
built on a base of 68 "letters" or characters.
====> Do you mean "base 68", or "based on" a length of 68
characters?
Long passwords can easily surpass 68 characters and some do.

====> "none use more"? Someone needs to do further research
there. said:
viable due to the exponentially increasing power of individual
machines and
the even greater power of the government's cluster servers,
making it now an
easy and fast way of recovering any password.
====> Brute force is more or less old fashioned nowadays. There
are much more elegant methods being used today.
But there is a solution. There are more than 1,000 other
letters that no one
knows about!
====> "no one knows about"?? THAT is a statement from a white
paper? That's a strange white paper, indeed! Besides, it would
never call them "letters"; this is obviously phoney.

With these extra letters, it is possible to make passwords that
are, for all practical purposes, uncrackable!"
====> Much shorter passwords, "for all practical purposes" are
equally or more "uncrackable". In reality, it wouldn't take all
that long for just a couple of machines to crack a password with
simply 68 "letters". A permutation is no more than that: A
permutation.
Link: http://www.neosmart.net/forums/index.php?gettopic=10

*PS If you like it, please register and leave a comment... we
could do with
the traffic
Based on the credibility level of this post, I would not visit
that site with an anonymous browser behind an anonymous browser
located in Chian and routed through thirteen servers and 128
hops.
Besides, doesn't look like you spent much time on that white
paper:
domain: neosmart.net

created: 12-Jul-2005

last-changed: 23-Mar-2006

registration-expiration: 12-Jul-2006

nserver: ns1.micfo.com 207.97.197.210

nserver: ns2.micfo.com 205.234.232.11

---
According to Google, you're only spamming (so far)
Microsoft.public newsgroups: I wonder why that is? Aren't
passwords imortant to other operating systems? I would think a
white paper would be more amenable to a different range of
targets.

Go figger

PopS

Computer Guru said:
Not really.
I'm an active member in other MS newsgroups, I have provided
you with (IMO) valuable info, and haven't asked for anything in
return.
It is a legit message, and if you don't want to post there,
don't....

You have also violated newsgroup rules by:
-- spamming
-- Multi-posting when you should have cross-posted
-- Lied
-- And are not who you say you are in your post.

I'd also bet money that registered name won't exist after July of
this year.

This coming from one who uses the email address:
(e-mail address removed).............

And this comes from another unusable address: Feel free to email
it!

Computer Guru

I don't know what your problem is, but

1) What does the domain registration info have to do with anything? Everyone
starts somewhere.
2) I have sent this on forums for other OSes as well
3) This is the 3rd edition, have you ever published? I write in Word, and
save as PDF *when we are done*
4) Company is NeoSmart Technologies, we make programs and write whitepapers,
previously offline outsourcing, only recently on the web
5) Read the damn document without prejudgements and you'll see why we can
guarantee higher levels of security
6) about 68: read the document properly, it *lists* the 68 characters that
make up all passwords ATM

Computer Guru

It depends.
A Windows Password with Elcomsoft most certainly can, I've done it too in my
security background.

kurttrail

Computer said:
Not really.
I'm an active member in other MS newsgroups, I have provided you with
(IMO) valuable info,

Have yet to see anything of value come from you.
and haven't asked for anything in return.

"If you like it, please register and leave a comment... we could do with
the traffic"

You are spamming for your commercial site.
It is a legit message, and if you don't want to post there, don't....

Don't worry, I won't be.
This coming from one who uses the email address:
(e-mail address removed).............

What? Use my real email address so you can spam me in my Inbox too? No
thanks. And anyone with a modicum of computer know-how can figure out
how to email me.

--
Peace!
Kurt Kirsch
Self-anointed Moderator
http://microscum.com
"It'll soon shake your Windows
And rattle your walls
For the times they are a-changin'."

Computer Guru

As a matter of fact we are a non-profit organization. I forgot to mention
that, but yes, we most certainly aren't commercial.
All our material is free, some of it open source, most of it licensed under
Creative Commons.