Unblocking Safe Attachments

Ian McCulloch

Hi

Outlook 2003 SP3/Exch 2003

How do I unblock 'safe' attachments

Attempting to attach a temp file and outlook 'strips' it

Ian

Gordon

Ian McCulloch said:
Hi

Outlook 2003 SP3/Exch 2003
How do I unblock 'safe' attachments

Attempting to attach a temp file and outlook 'strips' it

Ian

Why would you be trying to send a "temp" (presumably a *.tmp) file in the
first place?

Ian McCulloch

It is a legitmate business process - hard to explain if you are not famliar
with our proprietary database
Any thoughts?

Gordon

Ian McCulloch said:
It is a legitmate business process - hard to explain if you are not
famliar with our proprietary database
Any thoughts?

Well most databases that I have come across don't use *.tmp files for data
transfer......and I've seen a lot in 20 years as a Systems/Management
accountant.
Have you tried zipping it?

VanguardLH

Ian said:
Gordon" wrote ...

It is a legitmate business process - hard to explain if you are not famliar
with our proprietary database
Any thoughts?

If Outlook is blocking you from attaching a "hazardous" filetype, why
would you do so? That means anyone receiving your e-mail with that
filetype and using Outlook would also have the attachment blocked (and
once blocked the attachment is thereafter never available even after
unblocking that filetype). So just because you could send it doesn't
mean the recipient can get it.

You could use the AttachmentOptions add-on to Outlook (find it at
www.slipstick.com) but only might let you attach the file. It won't do
anything at the other end for the recipient that cannot see that
attachment that is blocked on their end. You could rename the file to
something else, like use .tmxp for its extension and tell the recipient
to name it back to .tmp on their end. Or you could stick it in a .zip
archive file. There is nothing that demands the file actually have an
extension of .tmp. Even your requirements or those of the recipient are
irrelevant since a file can be renamed anything you need to get around
the problem. Also, even if it is a temporary file on your system,
obviously it is not temporary to you use of it, so rename it appropriate
to whatever created it and send the renamed file.

Ian McCulloch

Just looking for a quick answer Gordon - received below

Open the Registry Editor (choose Run from the Windows Start menu, type
"Regedit", and click [OK]).

Locate My Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\ Ver
\Outlook\Security (where Ver is your version of Outlook: 9.0 for Outlook
2000; 10.0 for Outlook 2002; 11.0 for Outlook 2003).

In the Security key, add a String value named "Level1Remove" (without the
quotes).

Modify the String value, and add the list of file types to allow Outlook to
open (separated by semicolons). For example: ".mdb;.adp;.mde;.ade" (without
the quotes).

VanguardLH

Ian McCulloch wrote:

<snip - describes regedit to remove block on .tmp filetype>

All of which only helps YOU when *receiving* e-mails. Just how is you
unblocking .tmp files going to do anything for the recipient who might
also be blocking on .tmp files?

When I attach "hazardous" files, Outlook warns me. It doesn't strip the
attachment. If I heed the warning and do not attach then there is no
attachment to strip out. If I ignore and attach the file anyway,
Outlook attaches the file and sends it despite the warning that the
recipient may not be able to use the attachment.

zandorf3 Goodman

Entourage 2008 Mac OS 10

Ian McCulloch wrote:

Unblocking Safe Attachments
14-Nov-08

Outlook 2003 SP3/Exch 200

How do I unblock 'safe' attachment

Attempting to attach a temp file and outlook 'strips' i

Ian

Unblocking Safe Attachments

Outlook 2003 SP3/Exch 200

How do I unblock 'safe' attachment

Attempting to attach a temp file and outlook 'strips' i

Ian

Re: Unblocking Safe Attachments
Why would you be trying to send a "temp" (presumably a *.tmp) file in th
first place?

It is a legitmate business process - hard to explain if you are not famliar
It is a legitmate business process - hard to explain if you are not famlia
with our proprietary databas
Any thoughts?

Re: Unblocking Safe Attachments
Well most databases that I have come across do not use *.tmp files for dat
transfer......and I have seen a lot in 20 years as a Systems/Managemen
accountant
Have you tried zipping it?

Re: Unblocking Safe Attachments
Ian McCulloch wrote

[...]

WPF Customized Find Control for FlowDocuments
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...3-721a40cf910c/wpf-customized-find-contr.aspx

Tom Willett

By asking in an Entourage newsgroup instead of hijacking a post from
November 2008.

<zandorf3 Goodman> wrote in message
: Entourage 2008 Mac OS 10
:
: How do I unblock 'safe' attachments
:
:
:
: Ian McCulloch wrote:
:
: Unblocking Safe Attachments
: 14-Nov-08
:
: Hi
:
: Outlook 2003 SP3/Exch 2003
:
: How do I unblock 'safe' attachments
:
: Attempting to attach a temp file and outlook 'strips' it
:
: Ian
:
:
: On Friday, November 14, 2008 1:22 PM
: Ian McCulloch wrote:
:
: Unblocking Safe Attachments
: Hi
:
: Outlook 2003 SP3/Exch 2003
:
: How do I unblock 'safe' attachments
:
: Attempting to attach a temp file and outlook 'strips' it
:
: Ian
:
: On Friday, November 14, 2008 1:29 PM
: Gordon wrote:
:
: Re: Unblocking Safe Attachments
: Why would you be trying to send a "temp" (presumably a *.tmp) file in the
: first place?
:
: On Friday, November 14, 2008 1:35 PM
: Ian McCulloch wrote:
:
: It is a legitmate business process - hard to explain if you are not
famliar
: It is a legitmate business process - hard to explain if you are not
famliar
: with our proprietary database
: Any thoughts?
:
: On Friday, November 14, 2008 1:47 PM
: Gordon wrote:
:
: Re: Unblocking Safe Attachments
: Well most databases that I have come across do not use *.tmp files for
data
: transfer......and I have seen a lot in 20 years as a Systems/Management
: accountant.
: Have you tried zipping it?
:
: On Friday, November 14, 2008 1:55 PM
: VanguardLH wrote:
:
: Re: Unblocking Safe Attachments
: Ian McCulloch wrote:
:
:
[...]
: On Friday, November 14, 2008 3:03 PM
: Ian McCulloch wrote:
:
[...]
: :
: On Friday, November 14, 2008 3:37 PM
:
: Ian McCulloch wrote:
:
: <snip - describes regedit to remove block on .tmp filetype>
:
: All of which only helps YOU when *receiving* e-mails. Just how is you
: unblocking .tmp files going to do anything for the recipient who might
: also be blocking on .tmp files?
:
: When I attach "hazardous" files, Outlook warns me. It doesn't strip the
: attachment. If I heed the warning and do not attach then there is no
: attachment to strip out. If I ignore and attach the file anyway,
: Outlook attaches the file and sends it despite the warning that the
: recipient may not be able to use the attachment.
:
:
: Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice