unable to remove "about:blank" as my default home page

Phil

How do I remove "about:blank" as my homepage in IE? It
appeared earlier today and I've tried going in to change
back to my original homepage via IE Tools but it didn't
take. Everytime I launch IE I get about:blank. I'd
GREATLY appreciate any assistance in helping me fix this
problem. Please send a response to my email address above
as well. Thanks!

Phil

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP

Phil said:
How do I remove "about:blank" as my homepage in IE? It
appeared earlier today and I've tried going in to change
back to my original homepage via IE Tools but it didn't
take. Everytime I launch IE I get about:blank. I'd
GREATLY appreciate any assistance in helping me fix this
problem. Please send a response to my email address above
as well. Thanks!

Phil

First eliminate any scumware.
See
Dealing with Unwanted Malware, Parasites, Toolbars and Search Engines
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
especially
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm#Coolwebsearch

Note that AdAware and SpyBot S & D will each catch some things the other
won't. Also, each needs to be updated with the program's update function
before every use, even when just downloaded. There's also a lot more to do
than just those two programs. CWShredder is also available here:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/cwshredder.zip
**Post your HijackThis log to
http://forums.spywareinfo.com/ or the Spyware forum at
http://forum.aumha.org/ for expert analysis, not here.**
Alternative download pages for Ad-Aware, Spybot, HijackThis and CWShredder
may be found on this page:
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm.

If nothing there helps, please post back to this thread.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Carl M. Thomas

Hi Frank,

I've been trying to get the latest version of CWShredder to at least scan my
system, without success. When it first opens, it claims that
CWS.Smartsearch.2 is trying to kill it, but it is taking countermeasures
(I'm paraphrasing). When I click scan in the next dialog box, it starts
marching down it's list of varients and then a dialog box opens claiming one
of CWShredders instructions tried to access memory that can't be written.
Any ideas? I've had this same problem with IE6 on occasion.

TIA

Carl

Don Varnau

Carl,
Go to http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html Look for "CWShredder
or HijackThis closes immediately after opening?"

Sometimes running the malware removal tools in Safe Mode helps.

Don
--
MVP IE/OE
Please reply to the newsgroup so that others may participate.

"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders[at]mvps.org> wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the advice, Don, but I get the "Page cannot be displayed" error
message whenever I try to access any page on the SpywareInfo site. I don't
know whether the site is down or I am being blocked, as I've seen suggested
elsewhere. I'll try again tomorrow. In the meantime, I'll try running
things in Safe Mode as you suggest.

Thanks again,

Carl

Carl M. Thomas said:
[...]

Don,

No deal. Safe Mode made no difference in the behavior. And I still can't
access the SpywareInfo site. Any other ideas?

BTW - I see nothing strange in the HJT scan display.

Carl

Carl M. Thomas said:
[...]

Does HijackThis show any HOSTS file entries? The HOSTS file might be
blocking that site.

And... I can send you the CoolWWWSearch.SmartKiller removal tool. It's only
about 50KB. Say the word and I'll e-mail it to you.

Don

Phil

I had no luck using Ad-aware, Spybot S&D, CWShredder and
HijackThis in trying to remove the about:blank from my
browser as the homepage. HijackThis did show two entries
for about:blank in two BHO entries. When I
clicked/checked on those entries and selected the
HijackThis "Fix Checked" function, that didn't help.
Whenever I launched my browser after doing this I still
got the about:blank as my homepage AND a scan using
HijackThis would show about:blank in those two BHO entries
on the scan log. Currently I'm awaiting my user account
activation at http://forum.aumha.org/ in order to post my
log. Anyone have any other ideas for me? Thanks for the
recommendations and weblinks, Frank.

[...]

Hi, Don,

I had already checked my HOSTS file and there is no listing for the site.
The HOSTS file is one I downloaded from mvps.org and locked with SpybotS&D.
However, I can now access www.spywareinfo.com; maybe they had it down for
maintenance. I downloaded the removal tool and it reported no infection.
CWShredder still reports it's under attack and closes when is scans with an
error message as before. I emailed merijn through the site's contact input,
but haven't headr back yet. I'll check out the forum there. Thanx for the
try.

Carl

Don Varnau said:
Carl,
Does HijackThis show any HOSTS file entries? The HOSTS file might be
blocking that site.

And... I can send you the CoolWWWSearch.SmartKiller removal tool. It's only
about 50KB. Say the word and I'll e-mail it to you.

Don
--
MVP IE/OE
Please reply to the newsgroup so that others may participate.
don_04[at]varnau.org

"Carl M. Thomas" <carlmthomas[at]alltel.net> wrote in message
Hi Frank,

I've been trying to get the latest version of CWShredder to at least scan
my
system, without success. When it first opens, it claims that
CWS.Smartsearch.2 is trying to kill it, but it is taking countermeasures
(I'm paraphrasing). When I click scan in the next dialog box, it starts
marching down it's list of varients and then a dialog box opens claiming
one
of CWShredders instructions tried to access memory that can't be written.
Any ideas? I've had this same problem with IE6 on occasion.

TIA

Carl

david

about.blank is very hard to remove. Now that you can access spywareinfo,
look in their forum for removal info. I got rid of it by using dllfix.exe
per, http://forums.subratam.org/index.php?showtopic=583

Another tool is prcview by shadowwar. merijn posted that CWShredder will
not find the hidden dll and to use prcview. There are others methods and
tools that you can find by searching.

Good Luck, David

Carl M. Thomas said:
[...]

Hi, David

Thanx for the suggestions. Actually, I never had the about:blank problem.
I had seen Frank's post about CWShredder and thought I'd try and get the
problem I wasw having with it resolved. I'm beginning to think it's related
to what appears to be a broader problem. I get the same message
occasionally with IE6. If CWShredder uses the IE browser control for it's
display, it may be a problem with my control. If not, I'm puzzled more
since they then have nothing intimate in common. Since it's possible that
something messed the control file up, I'll try the hunters you suggested.

Who publishes prcview?

Thanx again.

Carl