Unable to Open Default E-mail Folders

Mark Schneider

When bringing up Outlook 2000 on a Windows 2000 Pro
system, I receive a message from Outlook 2000 "Unable to
open your default E-mail folders".

System was recently reloaded, but Outlook had been running
for about two weeks. Have tried-Downloaded all recent
Windows 2000 and Office 2000 updates. Tried removing and
reloading Outlook, ran Repair, removed Exchange server
reference and Personal Folder references in Control Panel
Mail, and re-added entries. Applied Windows 2000 Service
Pack 4. Verified that PST file is still in the original
location. Has anyone encountered this before. Any
ideas would be appreciated.

Nikki

Are you connecting to an Exchange Server?

--
Nikki Peterson [MVP - Outlook]

When bringing up Outlook 2000 on a Windows 2000 Pro
system, I receive a message from Outlook 2000 "Unable to
open your default E-mail folders".

System was recently reloaded, but Outlook had been running
for about two weeks. Have tried-Downloaded all recent
Windows 2000 and Office 2000 updates. Tried removing and
reloading Outlook, ran Repair, removed Exchange server
reference and Personal Folder references in Control Panel
Mail, and re-added entries. Applied Windows 2000 Service
Pack 4. Verified that PST file is still in the original
location. Has anyone encountered this before. Any
ideas would be appreciated.

Neil

and you're def. trying to open a mailbox which you've got permissions over ?

Mark Schneider said:
Yes, it's connecting to an Exchange Server.
Are you connecting to an Exchange Server?

--
Nikki Peterson [MVP - Outlook]

When bringing up Outlook 2000 on a Windows 2000 Pro
system, I receive a message from Outlook 2000 "Unable to
open your default E-mail folders".

System was recently reloaded, but Outlook had been running
for about two weeks. Have tried-Downloaded all recent
Windows 2000 and Office 2000 updates. Tried removing and
reloading Outlook, ran Repair, removed Exchange server
reference and Personal Folder references in Control Panel
Mail, and re-added entries. Applied Windows 2000 Service
Pack 4. Verified that PST file is still in the original
location. Has anyone encountered this before. Any
ideas would be appreciated.

.

Nikki

When you re-added the Exchange Server and Account
information, did it appear to authenticate (underline)?
Can you ping the Exchange Server?
Do you have enough rights on the machine?
Have you tried removing and reinstalling the TCP/IP?
When you removed Outlook did you clean the registry
of the remnants? (There is a special tool that is provided
by Microsoft that will do this)

--
Nikki Peterson [MVP - Outlook]

Yes, it's connecting to an Exchange Server.

Are you connecting to an Exchange Server?

Nikki Peterson [MVP - Outlook]

"Mark Schneider" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
When bringing up Outlook 2000 on a Windows 2000 Pro
system, I receive a message from Outlook 2000 "Unable to
open your default E-mail folders".

System was recently reloaded, but Outlook had been running
for about two weeks. Have tried-Downloaded all recent
Windows 2000 and Office 2000 updates. Tried removing and
reloading Outlook, ran Repair, removed Exchange server
reference and Personal Folder references in Control Panel
Mail, and re-added entries. Applied Windows 2000 Service
Pack 4. Verified that PST file is still in the original
location. Has anyone encountered this before. Any
ideas would be appreciated.

Debbi Smith

I just ran into this problem this week. It turned out to
be a damaged TCP/IP stack. I removed TCP/IP from the
workstation and rebooted. I then reinstalled TCP/IP and
tested successfully. Hope this helps.