Unable to delete folder (0x800710FE

I'm trying to delete a folder that I "cut and pasted" from a my docs folder
(redirected) to another location.

I proceeded to get a sync error and when I try to delete this folder I get
Error 0x800710FE: This file is currently not available for use on this
computer.

The file is causing problems with another application. I need to delete it
but can't

Is their anyway to rebuild my cache or do something to remove this folder?

The problem is, the folder is permanently offline, and even when I go into
safe-mode, windows still thinks it's offline, and won't let me modify it.

Since it's offline, I also can't modify the permissions of it.
--
JP Bourget, MCSE
Arnold Magnetic Technologies

Peter Foldes said:
Take ownership of the file and delete it in Safe Mode

Peter Foldes

Did you take ownership of this file ????

--
Peter

JP B said:
The problem is, the folder is permanently offline, and even when I go into
safe-mode, windows still thinks it's offline, and won't let me modify it.

Since it's offline, I also can't modify the permissions of it.

No. Since I can't get to the security tab of the folder, which is required to
take ownership, I am unable to.

In safe more, normal boot mode, or any other state.

Helen Li [MSFT]

Hi JP,

Based on my research and experiences, it seems something wrong with the CSC
cache so we can add the following registry subkey to reinitialize the CSC
cache:

1. Click Start and enter regedit in the start search to open Registry
Editor.
2. Expand to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\NetCache
3. Add a new key:
Key Name: FormatDatabase
Key Type: DWORD
Key Value: 1
Note The actual value of the registry key is ignored. This registry change
requires a restart. When the computer is restarting, the shell will
reinitialize the CSC cache and then delete the registry key if the registry
entry exists.

4. Restart the computer then the CSC cache is rebuilt. Test the same issue
again.

I will test this issue on my side and if there is any update, I will let
you know as soon as possible.

Regards,

Helen Li

Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: =?Utf-8?B?SlAgQg==?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Unable to delete folder (0x800710FE
| Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 05:36:00 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
|
| No. Since I can't get to the security tab of the folder, which is
required to
| take ownership, I am unable to.
|
| In safe more, normal boot mode, or any other state.
| --
| JP Bourget, MCSE
| Arnold Magnetic Technologies
|

| "Peter Foldes" wrote:
|
| > Did you take ownership of this file ????
| >
| > --
| > Peter
| >
| > Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others
| > Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged.
| >
| > > The problem is, the folder is permanently offline, and even when I go
into
| > > safe-mode, windows still thinks it's offline, and won't let me modify
it.

| > > Since it's offline, I also can't modify the permissions of it.
| > > --
| > > JP Bourget, MCSE
| > > Arnold Magnetic Technologies

Helen Li [MSFT]

Hi JP,

I am just writing to see how everything is going. If you have any updates
or need any further assistance on this issue, please feel free to let me
know. I am glad to be of assistance.

Regards,

Helen Li

Microsoft Online Partner Support

Helen Li [MSFT]

Hi JP,

I have not received any responses from you lately, and I am just wondering
if you require further assistance or if the issue has been resolved. Please
let me know if there is anything that I can do for you on it. I look
forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards,

Helen Li

Microsoft Online Partner Support

It seems you never got your answer from the originator. I am having the same
problem. I was unable to get your proposed solution to work. I am also
surprised that searching all posts there is no more conversation about this
error. For what it's worth, I'm running Vista 32. The whole Video folder is
tied to Sync that only creates errors.

Helen Li [MSFT]

Hello Customer,

I am sorry to hear that the suggestion I provided cannot resolve the issue
on your side.

The problem JP described is that there is a 0x800710FE error when deleting
a file in CSC cache then he receives a sync error. For we are not sure if
the sync error you received is same as his or not, you may submit a new
post and there will be a Windows Vista support engineer to help on the
specific issue of your side.

Regards,

Helen Li

Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: =?Utf-8?B?cmxwZWVi?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Unable to delete folder (0x800710FE
| Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2007 11:56:04 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
|
| It seems you never got your answer from the originator. I am having the
same
| problem. I was unable to get your proposed solution to work. I am also
| surprised that searching all posts there is no more conversation about
this
| error. For what it's worth, I'm running Vista 32. The whole Video folder
is
| tied to Sync that only creates errors.
|
| ""Helen Li [MSFT]"" wrote:
|
| > Hi JP,
| >
| > I am just writing to see how everything is going. If you have any
updates
| > or need any further assistance on this issue, please feel free to let
me
| > know. I am glad to be of assistance.
| >
| > Regards,
| >
| > Helen Li
| >
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support
| > ====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| > ====================================================
rights.

Technoman2k

After unistalling some software I proceed to make sure the folder and files are actually gone. In many cases they are not, when I go to del them I get the message I don't have permission. After reading pages and pages of things to try to no avail I decided to pull out my magic disk. What you need is a bootable CD with a virtual OS that can read NTFS drives. I believe linux has one also. I used my old ERD commander 2005 disk. Booted up and opened explorer and blasted the files and folders into never never land. Took 5min.

technoman2k

Dean Truax

Helen,

Had this problem on my 64-bit Windows 7 machine, and rather than just go about my merry way, figured I'd take 2 minutes to thank you for the fix. It worked beautifully.

Odd symptom before I ran your registry fix: going to the IP address of the UNC in question worked fine, just kind of a bad precedent to set. ;)

Thank you and take care,

Dean
Hi,

On Monday, July 09, 2007 9:04 PM Peter Foldes wrote:
Take ownership of the file and delete it in Safe Mode

--=20
Peter

folder=20
get=20

delete it=20
folder?
On Tuesday, August 07, 2007 2:56 PM rlpee wrote:
It seems you never got your answer from the originator. I am having the same
problem. I was unable to get your proposed solution to work. I am also
surprised that searching all posts there is no more conversation about this
error. For what it's worth, I'm running Vista 32. The whole Video folder is
tied to Sync that only creates errors.

""Helen Li [MSFT]"" wrote:

albasaray

Hi Helen Li,

I'm having the same problem. My computer is synchronized with the hardrive where my files are storaged, with files being available offline. I have a folder where I was receiving files through skype which did not completely download. I have several part files that I can't delete and get the same message

"Error 0x800710FE: This file is currently not available for use on this
computer."

I tried modifying the CSC cache as you indicated with the following parameters:
Key name: FormatDatabase
Key Type: REG_DWORD
Key Value: 1
Base: (tried bot Hexadecimal and decimal)

But it didn't work.

My system is "Window 7 professional 32 bits Service Pack 1". Perhaps it needs a different solution?

Thanks a lot!

Jhon Stone

Hi,

I'm trying to delete a folder that I "cut and pasted" from a my docs folder
(redirected) to another location.

I proceeded to get a sync error and when I try to delete this folder I get
Error 0x800710FE: This file is currently not available for use on this
computer.

The file is causing problems with another application. I need to delete it
but can't

Is their anyway to rebuild my cache or do something to remove this folder?

wow, problem solved, after much pain anguish. solved. thank you Helen Li

garyford198

On Wednesday, September 4, 2013 3:15:42 AM UTC-7, (e-mail address removed) wrote:

Hello,

I had the same problem. but it wasnt a folder issue, it was a .gif file that would provide the error when trying to delete it. Now I tried Helens solution and it did not work for me. Instead, we found that we had to unintall and reinstall the network adapter. My Admin did it, it tried to keep notes but thats all I can say.

Not sure if it was the attempt to run Helens fix, but all internet connections was lost. The diagnosis said it was the driver, so thats how he knew what to do.

BrockmanPC

Helen Li,

I tried what you wrote about changing the system registry. I added the keynamed FormatDatabase with a key type of DWORD and value of 1 in the registry location you mentioned. I rebooted my computer. This did not solve my problem.

My problem is that I have a pdf file that I can't delete in the My Scans folder of my Documents. I am running Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1,64-bit. I have administrator rights for my computer. The file propertiesdo not show the security information. Under the Details tab of the file properties, the offline status is offline. The file is located on our server, in a network folder that is My Documents.

I am not an IT professional, so my understanding of network computing is limited. Can you help me?

Mark Brockman

A super GEEK

Hello evryone,

I had the same problem.
I was running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit Service Pack 1 with "Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2330M 2.20 GHz" processor.
i got this message while triyng to delete a word document:

Error 0x800710FE: This file is not currently not available on this computer.

I was using a network to use my account anywhere in the world.
and it just suddenly popped up when I was cleaning up my Docs folder (with over 1000 files in it).
It was only doing this message on this one file.
and this is what I found:

this error was provoked by a HUMAN modify, stopping this file do be deleted and sometimes modified.(yes, I might be talking about hack...)
So, this is what worked for me:

1.a.On the start tab (bottom left)search "File Options"
b.Go to Offline Files
c.Press Ctrl+Shift
d.Click "Delete Files"
e.Click "yes" two times and computer will restart

If that doesen't work try this:

2.a.In the start tab search "reg"
b.Type these commands:

REG.EXE.REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\NetCache" /v FormatDatabase /t

Then type

REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

If that still doesen't work, download Fix-it microsoft program here:

adf.ly/sgSkt

(wait five seconds an click "SKIP AD" top right)

Hoped I helped,
Giorgio

timdunn55music

[...]

For anyone still struggling with this issue i found I was able to deal with"locked by someone" files or indeed any dead file which seems cannot be opened at all... by right clicking on it and then "edit with notepad++" I made some random change to text and was able then to save the file again and thus released its lock. it could then be readily deleted in the usual way. not conventional approach I guess but it worked for me and removed an annoying sync issue. if anyone thinks this has a risk with it, let me know of course, but for me I appear to be off a running. cheers.