UK (English) spelling for Windows Live Mail

Billericay Pete

I cannot find out how to enable UK English (as opposed to US English) spell
checker for Windows Live Mail - can anyone help please.
Thanks in advance
Pete

DecHex

Hey Pete
Me too buddy
No doubt it requires yet another download.
But I think I saw a reply to this very issue here some time ago from a MVP
Let me know if you get sorted
Cheers
DH

DecHex

I just found this from the forums.

How can I add a uk dictionary? Theres no button to add further
dictionaries than the ones already in there.

Use Notepad to open spell.ini (in %programfiles%/Windows
Live/Mail/Proof/prf0009/2)
and change lang=1033 to lang=2057.
--
Ronald Sommer
From an earlier post:

Noel,
Many thanks for taking the time and trouble to explain this to me.
Your fix of changing the ini file does work and I must have had problems
with permissions as the first spell.ini file did not save correctly. I have
since renamed it and rewrote the spell ini in notepad this time and it
works ok.
Many thanks again for your trouble.
Dave

DecHex

This is the one I recall from earlier and I'm happy to report
that it now working fine for me.
check favorite/favourite to test.
DH

DecHex

Here's the FIX
Cheers
Dh

Billericay Pete said:
I cannot find out how to enable UK English (as opposed to US English) spell
checker for Windows Live Mail - can anyone help please.
Thanks in advance
Pete

2) You are in luck: British English dictionary is built into WLM, but
it's hidden.

For English Spelling variations:

Edit in Notepad %programfiles%\Windows
Live\Mail\Proof\prf0009\2\spell.ini
and enter desired lang= and change Lex= if needed

lang=1033 ; US
lang=2057 ; UK
lang=4105 ; Canada
lang=3081 ; Australia

Lex=MSSP3EN.LEX for: US, UK and Canada
Lex=MSSP3ENA.LEX for: Australia - file may not be included in WLM.
Copy to
%programfiles%\Windows Live\Mail\Proof\prf0009\2\MSSP3ENA.LEX from
%programfiles%\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Proof\MSSP3ENA.LEX or other
source

Tools, Options, Spelling will still show "English (United States)" with
any of the above selected, but it will check with the correct variation.

If you would like the correct variation listed as well as the ability to
switch between variations, do the following:
- COPY (do not Move or Rename or else WLM will get upset) the folder
%programfiles%\Windows Live\Mail\Proof\prf0009\2
to either
%programfiles%\Windows Live\Mail\Proof\prfxxxx\1
or
%userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows
Live Mail\Proof\prfxxxx\1
where xxxx is the lang value in hexadecimal:
UK=prf0809, Canada=prf1009, Australia=prf0c09
- Make the appropriate spell.in changes in the new folder as outlined
above.

Note: if copied to %userprofile% there will be an Uninstall option, but
not at %programfiles%

Billericay Pete

Cheers Dh !!
worked a treat!!