Two versions of .Net on the same server

I had version 1.1 on the production server and then I installed version 2.0
so I have both installed there. I created a web application using vs 2005 and
I move it to the server. When I try to browse an asp.net page I get an error:
Unrecognizes Configuration section 'ConnectionString' in the web.config.
I look at the bottom of the page and I see that the page is runnig with ver
1.1.4322.

1- Do I have to remove ver 1.1 from the server and work just with ver 2.0 ?
2- What about apllications that were developed with ver 1.1, Do the know to
work with ver 2.0 ?

Thanks,

David

I solved this problem by setting the virtual directory properties, asp.net
tab,asp.net version. I selected 2.0.5 from the drop down list.
Now I have another problem. I get this error message :

Failed to Access IIS Metabase.
The process account used to run asp.net must have read access to the IIS
metabase.

How can I solve this problem ?

Thanks,

David

Michael Nemtsev

Hello Davide,

Set the .net 2.0 asp.dll in the properties of your virtual folder in IIS

D> Hi,
D>
D> I had version 1.1 on the production server and then I installed
D> version 2.0 so I have both installed there. I created a web
D> application using vs 2005 and I move it to the server. When I try to
D> browse an asp.net page I get an error: Unrecognizes Configuration
D> section 'ConnectionString' in the web.config. I look at the bottom
D> of the page and I see that the page is runnig with ver 1.1.4322.
D>
D> 1- Do I have to remove ver 1.1 from the server and work just with ver
D> 2.0 ? 2- What about apllications that were developed with ver 1.1, Do
D> the know to work with ver 2.0 ?
D>
D> Thanks,
D>
D> David

---
WBR,
Michael Nemtsev :: blog: http://spaces.live.com/laflour

"At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not
cease to be insipid." (c) Friedrich Nietzsch

Hi Michael,
Thanks for your reply.
I set it to 2.0 but now I get this error :

Failed to Access IIS Metabase.
The process account used to run asp.net must have read access to the IIS
metabase.

How can I fix it ?

David

Michael Nemtsev

Hello Davide,

Not sure if this help but try c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_regiis.exe
-i

D> Hi Michael,
D> Thanks for your reply.
D> I set it to 2.0 but now I get this error :
D> Failed to Access IIS Metabase.
D> The process account used to run asp.net must have read access to the
D> IIS
D> metabase.
D> How can I fix it ?
D>
D> David
D>
D> "Michael Nemtsev" wrote:
D>---
WBR,
Michael Nemtsev :: blog: http://spaces.live.com/laflour

"At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not
cease to be insipid." (c) Friedrich Nietzsch

DavidE said:
Hi,

I had version 1.1 on the production server and then I installed version 2.0
so I have both installed there. I created a web application using vs 2005 and
I move it to the server. When I try to browse an asp.net page I get an error:
Unrecognizes Configuration section 'ConnectionString' in the web.config.
I look at the bottom of the page and I see that the page is runnig with ver
1.1.4322.

1- Do I have to remove ver 1.1 from the server and work just with ver 2.0 ?
2- What about apllications that were developed with ver 1.1, Do the know to
work with ver 2.0 ?

Thanks,

David

You can use different versions of the framework for different sites on
the server. They have to be in separate application pools, though, so
you should create a new application pool for the 2.0 applications.

Hi Michael,

Sorry for the late reply.
It does't solve the problem but it change all the site virtual directories
to work with ver 2.0 and then aspx files that were developed with ver 1.1
stopped to work.

David