Two fields in a table linked to an other table

Reaction score
I'm having a hard time at the moment with those queries. Sorry if there is a post alike on the forums but I don't really understand things if it's with others problems ... anyways:

This is a database of a game and there are certain skills needed to unlock a other skills. How I think it should be is there are 3 tables. One called SkillConstraint including SkillID and reqSkillID, which both of these fields should be linked to a table called SkillInfo to a field called SkillID, in this table there is also Skillname (for internal client) linked to a translated text table with the fields Skillname and TranslatedName. I am not sure how I am suppose to do this, also I tried making a second table for translated text table and a SkillInfo table but for some reason I had problems and it would only show me Skills that need a requirement (as it is not all skills that needs one). How do I make it so records which do not have a requirement still show up?

Help as soon as you can, thanks.

EDIT: I am not very good with queries so please explain well. I've had a short class on Access, which wasn't in English, and there is a lot of things I have yet to understand and to learn.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Dig,

It sounds to me like the most likely cause is that you need to check and ammend the Join Type between your reqSkillID table and which ever table that is linked to - presumably SkillID. Go to your table relationships diagram and right click precislely on the line showing the table linkage. Select Edit Relationship. You will then see your Edit Relationshops window. Click the Join Type button, and choose the option you want. The default pre-chose option is restrictive which is why I think this is likely to be your problem. Just select one of the others. I think you need to choose in favour of showing more of the table linked to the reqSkill table (ie "only those records from reSkillID....." but I am not entirely sure how your tables are related - ie which tables use thier own primary key to link to others and which refer to a foreign (other table) key.

Rather than alter the relationships for the entire database in the way I have described above you have the option to only change it in any specific query that you need the relationshop changed. Certainly this gives you a quick try and see approach anyway. To change it in the query - presuming you are working with Access Query design grid with the tables displayed in it, you can do as I have prescribed with the links showing in the query design mode. Another thing, make sure that you do not have any tables showing in the query that you don't actually need for that query.

I hope this helps.

-- Mike

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ohhhh, thanks Mike!

I didn't knew links in the relationship were different than in the query design. That could explain why it wasn't working before. Corrected the links between them and it works perfectly now. :lol:

Ask a Question