Turn off Formula

W

WhiteHawk

I am fairly new at using Excel - I am attempting to create a spreadsheet that includes vehicle information.... the Vehicle Title Numbers are seventeen digits - after I insert those numbers they appear to be calculated/converted in some way - the seventeen digit number is converted into the following: 5.74094E+15

If I double-click within that cell, then the number reverts back to the seventeen digit number I entered. Is there some way I can prevent the Title Number from being calculated/converted?

D

Don Guillett

numbers only goto 15 so you will have to make it TEXT

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software
(e-mail address removed)
I am fairly new at using Excel - I am attempting to create a spreadsheet that includes vehicle information.... the Vehicle Title Numbers are seventeen digits - after I insert those numbers they appear to be calculated/converted in some way - the seventeen digit number is converted into the following: 5.74094E+15

If I double-click within that cell, then the number reverts back to the seventeen digit number I entered. Is there some way I can prevent the Title Number from being calculated/converted?

N

Niek Otten

Either by formatting the cell as TEXT before entering the numbers or by preceding the number with a single quote when entering. The quote will not show, but cause the entry to be treated as text.

--

Kind Regards,

Niek Otten

Microsoft MVP - Excel

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software
(e-mail address removed)

W

WhiteHawk

Thanks Don... I'm not quite sure I understand..what do you mean by "make it TEXT?"

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software
(e-mail address removed)

W

WhiteHawk

Thanks - quotation marks around the number solved the problem....for now, this will work fine... thanks
Thanks Don... I'm not quite sure I understand..what do you mean by "make it TEXT?"

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software
(e-mail address removed)

C

CLR

Click on the letter at the top of the column your VIN number is in and then Right-click on that same letter at the top, then > FormatCells > NumberTab > TEXT...............this will format the whole column as text so you don't have to type the quote marks anymore, just the VIN.......

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

Thanks - quotation marks around the number solved the problem....for now, this will work fine... thanks

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software
(e-mail address removed)

D

David McRitchie

You have your answer, but in the future...
Please post in plain text instead of HTML, RTF or whatever
option you chose. Some of the repliers also posted in HTML
because of the original post. Would suggest everyone choose
the option however you see it as Always post in Plain Text.

I am fairly new at using Excel - I am attempting to create a spreadsheet that includes

R

Ragdyer

Also, there's a setting in O.E.:
<Tools> <Options> <Send> tab,

*Uncheck*
"Reply to messages in the format in which they were sent".

Ask a Question