Turn off computer automatically?

poeppie42

I am using winxp MCE. Whenever I have recorded a programm during the night I
like the computer to

1) turn off automatically or,

2) go automatically in the hibernate or standby state, if I like to
record another program later that night..

But I have a problem. Whatever I try I can not automatically shut off the
harddisk(s).
The are still on during the following morning.

It is possible to manually go into the hibernate or standby state. But as
already stated I like to do these things automatically

Pls. Help.

Thanx

WTC

Here is the Command for manually going into stand by

%windir%\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState

Now you can create a shortcut by right clicking on Desktop then go to "new"
then "shortcut" then entering the command in the "Type the location of the
item"

Good luck

WTC

You could try this, go to Start button>then "Run", then enter

Powercfg.cpl

then enter whatever times you want.

poeppie42

It works

Thanx

WTC said:
Here is the Command for manually going into stand by

%windir%\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState

Now you can create a shortcut by right clicking on Desktop then go to
"new" then "shortcut" then entering the command in the "Type the location
of the item"

Good luck

poeppie42

As already stated it works. The computet goes into hibernation. But now I
have the following problem.

Computer in hibernation state. I have programmed MCE to record a TV
programme.

But Mce does not start...

I think I have to wake up the computer.

Could you send me a command that I put in the Task program that the computer
has to wake up from the Hibernate status?

Thanx

WTC

Try this

go to your Run command and enter

Control schedtasks

"Add Scheduled Tasks">Next>Browse>select"Command Prompt">Next> then select
an option>then select an option>Enter your logon password>Select "Open
advanced properties for this task when I click Finish">then go to
"Settings">check "Wake the computer to run this task">click "apply"

I did this a few times and it seemed to work ok.

You can substitute the "Command Prompt" with whatever program you would like
to start or keep the "Command Prompt" to just to wake your computer up.

If you have no logon password, leave it blank.

Be sure to run a test to see if it works.

Post back if this works for you.

Good Luck

TrickTrash

To setup an automatic shutdown go to:

Task Scheduler\Add Task.
Browse to C: \Windows\System32\shutdown.exe
Add switches -s (for shutdown -r for reboot) -t 00 (for time in seconds
until run)
So the run command should read: "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\shutdown.exe -s -t 00"
(remove "quotes")
Then you always have it in your task list for when you need it and can
schedule and enable it as any normal task as and when.

Presumably you can do something similar with %windir%\System32\rundll32.exe
powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState

good luck

TrickTrash

WTC

You could automatically put your computer to sleep by using the Task
Scheduler win the command

%windir%\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState

as well.

poeppie42

Thanx,

this works. But now the following problem.
Is it possible that I can wake up the computer automatically if the computer
is in the Hibernation state?

Because whatever I do with the settings in the power options tabs the
harddisks never turn off.

That is the reason why I like to use the Taskmanager. I do not like to have
spinning harddisks for a whole day when I am out.and I have scheduled MCE to
record a program when i am out.

Thanx

OJB

David Candy

The computer's turned off. Just power down your disk when idle. Your BIOS may be able to start the computer at a particular time.

poeppie42

Thanks David,

I can go through the Bios, this works.

BUT............

I like to know if it is possible that I wake up the computer automatically
with help of the taskmanager if my computer is in the hibernation state
If I can do that then I can program automatically that the computer is on
whenever I like to record a show or series with help of MCE.

thanks

OJB

..
"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
The computer's turned off. Just power down your disk when idle. Your BIOS
may be able to start the computer at a particular time.

namniar

William,

Is that done via Start\Control Panel\Scheduled Tasks?

Is Suspend, Hibernate, and Start(button)\Turn Off Computer\Standby all
referring to the same state?

P.S. Good info from all that contributed.

Thanks, r.

WTC

Is that done via Start\Control Panel\Scheduled Tasks?
Yes
Is Suspend, Hibernate, and Start(button)\Turn Off Computer\Standby all
referring to the same state?

yes and no if you know the proper switches.

shutdown [-i | -l | -s | -r | -a ] [-f] [-m\\computername] [-t xx] [-c
"comment] [-d up:xx:yy]

-i displays GUI interface
-l logoff
-s shutdown
-r restart
-a abort a system shutdown
-f forces running application to close without warning
-m \\computername Remote computername to shutdown/restart/abort
-t xx set time to shutdown in xx seconds
-c "comment" shutdown comment
-d [p]:xx:yy the reason code for the shutdown (u - is the user code, p -
is a planned shutdown code, xx - is the major reason code, yy - is the minor
reason code)

poeppie42

Dear William,

If you could help me step by step I would be very happy.

I am looking forward to your solution(s) of this problem.

Thanx

OJB