Trying to set up a roaming user profile

I have set up my local login to use a roaming user profile.
The path is set to a directory on the server to which I have full access.
In fact I use the same directory to store my email and documents.

When I login I get an error message and the following information in the
event log:

Source: Userenv Category: None Type: Error Event ID: 1521
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
and is attempting to log you on with your local profile. Changes to the
profile will not be copied to the server when you logoff. Possible causes of
this error include network problems or insufficient security rights. If this
problem persists, contact your network administrator.
DETAIL - The requested resource is in use.

Diana Smith [MSFT]

Hello,

This article may help you:

"The roaming profile cannot be found" error message when you log on to your
network from a Windows XP-based computer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;831651

Other:
Make sure ALL of the hubs and switches are working correctly.

Check the file sever holding the Roaming Profiles, the time may not be
correct..

Diana Smith [MSFT]

| From: "=?Utf-8?B?UiBUYW5lbmJhdW0=?="
<[email protected]>
| Subject: Trying to set up a roaming user profile
| Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 14:23:02 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin
|
| I have set up my local login to use a roaming user profile.
| The path is set to a directory on the server to which I have full access.
| In fact I use the same directory to store my email and documents.
|
| When I login I get an error message and the following information in the
| event log:
|
| Source: Userenv Category: None Type: Error Event ID:
1521
| User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
profile
| and is attempting to log you on with your local profile. Changes to the
| profile will not be copied to the server when you logoff. Possible causes
of
| this error include network problems or insufficient security rights. If
this
| problem persists, contact your network administrator.
| DETAIL - The requested resource is in use.
|
| --
| R Tanenbaum

(e-mail address removed)

Diana,

Thankyou. I don't think that was the problem since I had already upgraded to
service pack 2 which contains the fix.

The current situation is, I have full permissions to the user profile
residing on the server, and when I do
start --> My Computer --> (right click) --> properties --> Advanced --> User
Profiles Settings it says that the profile type is Roaming but when I click
--> Change Type it only gives the option of --> Local

Yes, I am doing this configuration from a separate administative account
when the user is logged off.

Still no luck. Any other advice ?

"Diana Smith [MSFT]" said:
Hello,

This article may help you:

"The roaming profile cannot be found" error message when you log on to your
network from a Windows XP-based computer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;831651

Other:
Make sure ALL of the hubs and switches are working correctly.

Check the file sever holding the Roaming Profiles, the time may not be
correct..

Diana Smith [MSFT]

| From: "=?Utf-8?B?UiBUYW5lbmJhdW0=?="
<[email protected]>
| Subject: Trying to set up a roaming user profile
| Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 14:23:02 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin
|
| I have set up my local login to use a roaming user profile.
| The path is set to a directory on the server to which I have full access.
| In fact I use the same directory to store my email and documents.
|
| When I login I get an error message and the following information in the
| event log:
|
| Source: Userenv Category: None Type: Error Event ID:
1521
| User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
profile
| and is attempting to log you on with your local profile. Changes to the
| profile will not be copied to the server when you logoff. Possible causes
of
| this error include network problems or insufficient security rights. If
this
| problem persists, contact your network administrator.
| DETAIL - The requested resource is in use.
|
| --
| R Tanenbaum

(e-mail address removed)