Trying to create a list of prices from a web page

H

hsbminer

I haven't written an excel macro since the early days of macros. With that said I am trying to look up and update a number of prices from lumber retailers online and then post to an excel spreadsheet. I can probably fumble myway through creating a loop, but I do not know how to go about passing a part number to the search routine on the various sites. McCoys.com makes this even more difficult as I was hoping to use concatenate the text of the string using a part number.

So if I search for McCoy's Part #: 010718 I will get a web address of

http://shop.mccoys.com/building-mat...d-dimension-lumber/2-x-4-treated-lumber/p.153

This does not help me locate the next item which may be concrete of something other then the directory tree layout of the URL.

Thus is there a way to use VBA to feed the search function of the page to return just the value of the model numbers that I can seed from a spreadsheet?

Any help to get me started is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

D

Don Guillett

I haven't written an excel macro since the early days of macros. With that said I am trying to look up and update a number of prices from lumber retailers online and then post to an excel spreadsheet. I can probably fumble my way through creating a loop, but I do not know how to go about passing apart number to the search routine on the various sites. McCoys.com makes this even more difficult as I was hoping to use concatenate the text of the string using a part number.

So if I search for McCoy's Part #: 010718 I will get a web address of

http://shop.mccoys.com/building-mat...d-dimension-lumber/2-x-4-treated-lumber/p.153

This does not help me locate the next item which may be concrete of something other then the directory tree layout of the URL.

Thus is there a way to use VBA to feed the search function of the page toreturn just the value of the model numbers that I can seed from a spreadsheet?

Any help to get me started is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I had a problem with the url provided in that it wouldn't let me do a search. Are you using an "external query" to get the data. Send your file, with a complete explanation to dguillett @gmail.com

Reaction score
The link you provided shows a particular piece of timber - if that is the sort of thing you need then use Excel's web query functionality to return the price. Use the macro recorder whilst doing this, then post the code back here and we'll see what we can do for you.

Ask a Question