Trying to add my first user...

jbx

Reaction score
Hi guys,

yes, I'm a newbie - but please help!

I've set up a server with Windows Server 2003 and Active Directory and Exchange 2003. All going very well so far! Now I need to add my first user.

I've been into Active Directory Users and Computers and added a user called "office". The only thing I've changed in the user properties from the default settings is the profile path ("\\Crtserver\Documents\Profiles\office") and the logon script wich is a simple vbscript to map a network drive.

I then logged onto the client machine (clean install of Win XP Pro) as administrator and joined the domain. All seemed to work fine. Restarted the client machine and hit Ctrl-Alt-Del to log on. Now I hit my problem. I logon using my new username (office) and password, ensuring the "Log on to:" is set to the name of the domain. The machine logs in without error (though it takes a while). However, the drive isn't mapped and the profile seems to have been created locally, not on the server. Under C:\Documents and Settings on the client machine is a folder called "office". I would have expected "office.CRTSOLUTIONS" (CRTSOLUTIONS is the name of the domain). Also, there is nothing in the folder on the server where I asked it to create the profile.

Finally, when I then log off, I get told that windows could not update my roaming profile.

:(

Now I'm grumpy! Can anyone help?

Ask a Question