Trouble printing to network printer from Win98 to XP server

G

I have small network in home office of 3 computers using a router. I am migrating from Win98 to WinXP and have added XP to one computer. I have set the unit to double boot in Win98 and WinXP. The WinXP unit is the print server for the network printer.

I am having trouble printing to the network printer from the Win98 unit when the server is booted in WinXP. The printer is an HP3100. I still can print to the server when booted up in Win98. I can also print in to the local printer when booted in WinXP.

When I print the print document window confirms a document has been sent but the status window has error message "error - printing". Then after a few seconds the message changes to "printing" and then the document line goes blank as if the document was printed but it is not printed.

From this I conclude the print request is being received at the print WinXP print server. Does anyone have any idea why the printer is not reveiving the print request

Any help would be appreciated

Dav

G

I am having the same problem!! I have an xp computer (new) and have a windows 98 connected to the xp via a linksys router. When i try to print from the 98 computer, it does not work! Help

R

Ron G

When I have had a similar problem (XP to 98SE w/printer) it was due
primarily to simply not being careful about identifying the SE printer
name in the installation process. On other occasions there were network
problems (which I do not completely understand) and after I rebooted
all computers things worked well. All I know is that XP and 98SE really
don't like each other very much.

G

Thanks for the info Ron. I have tried all the normal things like rebooting till the boot leather is worn thin :(

The network is fine. I can communicate in every other way except when sending to the printer from Win98 to XP server.

Anyone else have any ideas

Thanks
Dave

Ask a Question