TransferSpreadsheet question

Ken Warthen

I'm using the TransferSpreadsheet method to import an Excel spreadsheet into
an Access 2007 table. I've set the SpreadsheetType parameter to
acSpreadsheetTypeExcel9. This works when the spreadsheet is a .xls file, but
the spreadsheet I'm importing is a .xlsm file. To make the code work I open
the .xlsm file in Excel and then do a SaveAs where I can change the file type
to .xls. This is not really an acceptable solution for end users of the
application. Is there a way to import spreadsheets in the .xlsm format?

Ken

Dirk Goldgar

Ken Warthen said:
I'm using the TransferSpreadsheet method to import an Excel spreadsheet
into
an Access 2007 table. I've set the SpreadsheetType parameter to
acSpreadsheetTypeExcel9. This works when the spreadsheet is a .xls file,
but
the spreadsheet I'm importing is a .xlsm file. To make the code work I
open
the .xlsm file in Excel and then do a SaveAs where I can change the file
type
to .xls. This is not really an acceptable solution for end users of the
application. Is there a way to import spreadsheets in the .xlsm format?

Try acSpreadsheetTypeExcel12 for the SpreadsheetType. If that isn't
defined, use the numeric value 9.

Joined
Mar 9, 2011
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
hello im new here just having a bit of difficulties trying to locate the new thread link can you assist me

Joined
Mar 9, 2011
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
news:[email protected]...

--
Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP

I am attempting to import a .xlsm spreadsheet into access by using vb in Excel to run an existing macro in MS Access 2007. When attempting to import a .xlsm file I receive the following message:

"External Table is not in the expected format".

My vb code to open the MS Access Database and run the MS Access macro is as follows:

Dim oMSAccess As Object
Dim openapp As Boolean
Dim Path As String

Path = "\\........................................mdb"

openapp = False
On Error Resume Next
Set oMSAccess = GetObject(, "Access.Application")

oMSAccess.DoCmd.RunMacro "mcrImportInitialEstimate"
oMSAccess.Visible = True

If oMSAccess Is Nothing Then
Set oMSAccess = CreateObject("Access.Application")
oMSAccess.Visible = True

oMSAccess.OpenCurrentDatabase (Path)
oMSAccess.DoCmd.RunMacro "mcrImportInitialEstimate"

openapp = True
End If

End Sub

In your previous reply you suggest determining the excel spreadsheet as acSpreadsheetTypeExcel12. Should I enter some line of code within my spreadsheet which saves the spreadsheet as this format prior to attempting to run the Access Macro?

Or

Is there a way of importing a .xlsm file into MS Access without defining the SpreadsheetType? Is there a required add-in of sorts?

Thanks in advance.

Carl