Windows XP Transfer OS to new machine ????

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Hi , I have a legal Windows XP Home , OEM version with the product key and sticker (not a DELL etc ) installed on my pc . If I get a new machine can I use this OS and if so will I still be able to get my updates etc . Or is it a case of new machine new OS . Thanks .

Reaction score
No u had to register your product key with micro **** and u cant use it on both... Correct me if im wrong

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
If your old machine is put beyond use, you can ring Microsoft and get the OS activated for your new machine - they will question you a bit about it though!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
OEM Widows is suposidly tied to that PC it was bundled with ... now I'm an avid believer that I bought the "software" it is mine, BUT, I will not and cannot condon piracy.

However, I see nothing wrong if I'm "scapping" an old PC of reinstalling an OEM Windows to my new machine ... you may, and probaly will, have to phone Microsoft to get it 'reactivated', just tell them you replaced the motherboard and hard drive ... i have actually done this and it's painless.

You cannot use one copy on two PCs ... there is no difference between OEM Windows & a shop bought Windows, except in price.

Mucks :cool:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Thanks for the info . If I can use the OS on my new pc this will save me ££££££££'s .

Ask a Question