tOUGH wORKING wITHOUT cAPS-lOCK iNDIcaTOr

RagDyer

XP Pro
My Gateway machine came with a wireless Logitech keyboard and mouse
The big problem is that there is no caps lock indicator of any kind (light
or otherwise) !

I've read somewhere that there is a way in XP to modify the keyboard so that
the caps lock key will ONLY turn caps lock ON (NO toggle), and both Shift
keys will AUTOMATICALLY turn caps lock off - similar to how the old
typewriters worked.

Can anyone give me any info on this type of keyboard modification?

Keyboard layout editors in the web search engines only bring up language
changes to the keyboard.

I would appreciate any help you can offer ... and HOPE that going into the
registry is NOT a requisite.

TIA,

Rick

Sharon F

XP Pro
My Gateway machine came with a wireless Logitech keyboard and mouse
The big problem is that there is no caps lock indicator of any kind (light
or otherwise) !

I've read somewhere that there is a way in XP to modify the keyboard so that
the caps lock key will ONLY turn caps lock ON (NO toggle), and both Shift
keys will AUTOMATICALLY turn caps lock off - similar to how the old
typewriters worked.

Can anyone give me any info on this type of keyboard modification?

Keyboard layout editors in the web search engines only bring up language
changes to the keyboard.

I would appreciate any help you can offer ... and HOPE that going into the
registry is NOT a requisite.

TIA,

Rick

Not quite what you asked for but ToggleKeys in Accessibility Options will
play a sound when you press certain keys. The tone confirms if the key
press has been registered and monitors Caps Lock, Num Lock and Scroll Lock.

Paul Woodsford

I don't have the wireless version of the Logitech keyboard but I'm sure the
software is very similar.
Goto the iTouch software and check Configuration/Options for an On-Screen
indicator for Caps,Scroll and Num keys.

Maureen Goldman

RagDyer said:
XP Pro
My Gateway machine came with a wireless Logitech keyboard and mouse
The big problem is that there is no caps lock indicator of any kind (light
or otherwise) !

I've read somewhere that there is a way in XP to modify the keyboard so that
the caps lock key will ONLY turn caps lock ON (NO toggle), and both Shift
keys will AUTOMATICALLY turn caps lock off - similar to how the old
typewriters worked.

Or you could look for a 55K utility called anticapslock, which is
available as caps.zip. Works fine with XP.

Here's the pertinent part of the readme (from 1998) - if you can't
find it, contact me offline and I'll send it to you.:

AntiCapsLock protects you against tHIS tERRIBLE tHING. In other
words it converts (mostly unwanted) CAPS LOCK to harmless SHIFT.

IMPORTANT: you must restart after installation or start CAPS.EXE
from the target directory.

This program is free for NON-COMMERCIAL private use. Use it at your
own risk.

If you may not use this software due to the previous restrictions or
if you want more features, you can buy AntiCapsLock PRO.

AntiCapsLock Pro brings the following features:

- conversion of CAPS LOCK key to SHIFT key (as this version)
- possibility to toggle CAPS LOCK by pressing SHIFT+CAPS
LOCK
- audio notification of CAPS LOCK toggling
- all these features can be enabled or disabled by
a stand-alone configuration program
- you can hide/show the tray icon
- it takes 55K only
- your have the right to use AntiCapsLock in your office
(the free version is restricted to non-commercial home
use)

http://www.orionsoft.cz/extras/setup.exe

Sharon F

Thanks to all for your replies.

I did however, just trip over an article on the subject that must have been
the one that my friend had mentioned to me.

It is really a letter posted to the "User to User Solutions" section of the
September 2 issue of PC Magazine.

Even after reading it though, I find it not helping me much, since I have no
idea as to how or where to start when it comes to editing and/or changing
registry items. I've never even heard of a DWORD value.

The one part that might fall within my limited ability is the mention of the
installation of another keyboard layout from the Control Panel.

If someone would be kind enough to explain this type of procedure to me, I
might be able to follow up on this avenue toward a possible solution.

I do hope that copying this article to the group does not violate any group
protocol.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

Rick

XP Pro
My Gateway machine came with a wireless Logitech keyboard and mouse
The big problem is that there is no caps lock indicator of any kind (light
or otherwise) !

I've read somewhere that there is a way in XP to modify the keyboard so that
the caps lock key will ONLY turn caps lock ON (NO toggle), and both Shift
keys will AUTOMATICALLY turn caps lock off - similar to how the old
typewriters worked.

Can anyone give me any info on this type of keyboard modification?

Keyboard layout editors in the web search engines only bring up language
changes to the keyboard.

I would appreciate any help you can offer ... and HOPE that going into the
registry is NOT a requisite.

TIA,

Rick

May want to consider adding English-International in Regional/Language
Settings. That would make the Settings key active on that same page. The
settings allows you to set Shift as the release key for Cap Locks.

RagDyer

Hey Sharon,

YOU ARE A DOLL !!!

Works like a charm.

And all this was accomplished without having to go into that dreaded
Registry.

You should write into PC Mag and show them your much simpler solution.

I'm surprised their guru, Neil J. Rubinking, who you noticed commented on
the original suggestion, didn't know about this.

You can appreciate all the comments made about the caps lock key be hated
.... and picture poor me ... a guy who doesn't even have a light to look at
for any help, not knowing that even if I remembered to hit the caps lock
key, whether it would be on or off.

The simple tap of any shift key and I now know where I stand.

Thanks again !

Very Best Regards,

Rick

[...]

You're welcome and glad to hear that you now have this working the way that
you want it to. There are over 10,000 user settings in XP. It's easy to
overlook a few ;)

RagDyer

Not looking a gift horse in the mouth, could/would you have a similar
solution for Win98?

I can't seem to find the same type of settings on my Win98 office machine.

TIA,

Rick

Hey Sharon,

YOU ARE A DOLL !!!

Works like a charm.

And all this was accomplished without having to go into that dreaded
Registry.

You're welcome and glad to hear that you now have this working the way that
you want it to. There are over 10,000 user settings in XP. It's easy to
overlook a few ;)

Sharon F

Not looking a gift horse in the mouth, could/would you have a similar
solution for Win98?

I can't seem to find the same type of settings on my Win98 office machine.

TIA,

Rick

You're welcome and glad to hear that you now have this working the way that
you want it to. There are over 10,000 user settings in XP. It's easy to
overlook a few ;)

Regards,

Wish I could help. I haven't worked with a Win98 system in years (except
briefly to pick up emails). It looks like it may work under different
rules. Note the text in this article that talks about hardware differences
in relation to language settings.

Cannot Toggle the CAPS LOCK or SHIFT LOCK Key
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;262387

It also has a link to an article about enabling shift lock in NT4 but
completely bypasses any further discussion of Win9x utilization.

You might want to ask this question in the Win98 groups. The folks still
using Win98 hang out there and may be able to help you with a setting or
point you towards a key mapping program that will do the job. You're using
Outlook Express so if you just right click on the newserver icon and choose
Newsgroups, you can use the screen appears to latch onto a
"microsoft.public.win98.*" topic.

Good luck!

Matthew James

KeyMaster from Heavy Horse allows you to take better control of the
keyboard (including the caps lock key) on today's Windows platforms
(including 98). To learn more please visit...

http://www.heavy-horse.com

Regards

Matthew James.

RagDyer

Thanks for the reply and the tip.
Everyone I've contacted has more or less verified that the only way to get
"typewriter emulation" on a Win98 US keyboard is to go into the Registry.
Since THAT is against my religion, I've taken your tip and went to the web
site and tried out their evaluation program.
I'm using it now and it's working as advertised, and that's without using
the other numerous features of the program.

I think I'll spring for the $19.95.
Can't believe it's so cheap.

Thanks Again,

Rick