Total ActiveX rejection - Windows XP SP2

I cannot access any site with Active X after doing a rebuild with the latest
version of Windows XP SP2.

If I go to http://www.crucial.com/uk/systemscanner/ (try and run scanner) OR
to http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/officeupdate/default.aspx (try and run
check for updates) I get the tool bar:- "This site might require the
following ActiveX control: Name. From: Publisher. Click here to install..."

So click install Active X

Then I get "Your security settings do not allow Web sites to use ActiveX
controls installed on your computer. This page may not display correctly.
Click here for options…"

I cannot get passed this? I have put all security settings in IE to low,
enabled everything..... then after installing other software etc I stopped my
firewalls (hardware and software) even stopped Antivirus on the off chance!!

Nothing!!

Even found a site that said they had solved the issue by:-
1. Click Start ->Run and type "regsvr32 Softpub.dll" (without double
quotes)
2. Click okay to register it
3. Do the same re-registration process with the rest of these .dll files:

regsvr32 softpub.dll (as mentioned above)
regsvr32 wintrust.dll
regsvr32 initpki.dll
regsvr32 urlmon.dll

4. Restart your computer and try the update site again (or other sites
requiring ActiveX to be enabled).

Also tried:-
1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd in the Open box, and then OK.
2. At the command prompt, type the following commands, and press ENTER after
each command:
regsvr32 /u softpub.dll
regsvr32 /u wintrust.dll
regsvr32 /u initpki.dll
regsvr32 /u dssenh.dll
regsvr32 /u rsaenh.dll
regsvr32 /u gpkcsp.dll
regsvr32 /u sccbase.dll
regsvr32 /u slbcsp.dll
regsvr32 /u mssip32.dll
regsvr32 /u cryptdlg.dll
exit
Note Click OK if you are prompted.

Note Microsoft Windows 2000 does not include the Sccbase.dll file. If you
are running a version of Windows 2000, omit the Sccbase.dll file.
3. Restart your computer.
4. Click Start, click Run, type cmd in the Open box, and then click OK.
5. At the command prompt, type the following commands, and press ENTER after
each command:
regsvr32 softpub.dll
regsvr32 wintrust.dll
regsvr32 initpki.dll
regsvr32 dssenh.dll
regsvr32 rsaenh.dll
regsvr32 gpkcsp.dll
regsvr32 sccbase.dll
regsvr32 slbcsp.dll
regsvr32 mssip32.dll
regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll
exit
Note Click OK if you are prompted.

Still did not work - Anyone any ideas?

Don Varnau

Hi,
A recent security update may be causing this. Here's a repost of a message
from PA Bear:
- - - -
See:

1. ActiveX controls may not load as expected in Internet Explorer due to
defense in depth changes introduced in cumulative security update 896688
(MS05-052) http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909889

Fix: http://patch-info.de/IE/Downloads/OLEfix.zip (OLEFix.reg) or
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/kb896688_fix.zip (KB896688_fix.exe; a small
VB app that checks the 4 values and offers a repair option if any of them
are incorrect)

2. A Web page that contains a custom ActiveX control may not load as
expected in Internet Explorer due to defense in depth changes introduced in
cumulative security update 896688 (MS05-052)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909738

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
- - - - - -

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Hello,

Thank you for your quick reply!!!

I tried the first bits in No.1 and unfortunately that did not work, I did
not try number 2 as it points me to:- http://support.microsoft.com/kb/216434/
and it the bottom where is states what it applies to it does not cover
Internet Explorer 6.

Any other ideas that might help? Should I do point 2 anyway (presume it will
cause no harm to my pc?)

Thanks!!

jomuir said:
[...]

This script should be safe and will only offer a fix if the registry values
are incorrect:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/kb896688_fix.zip (KB896688_fix.exe; a small
VB app that checks the 4 values and offers a repair option if any of them
are incorrect)

Other possibilities:
Place those sites in Trusted Sites with a wildcard, such as:
*.crucial.com
*.microsoft.com

A longshot, but try...
Internet Options> Advanced> Security> check "Allow active content to run in
files on My Computer ."

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

4 values are correct, added both to trusted site and still no luck (however
it did seem to take longer to say no - I thought it was working!!)

And the *allow active content to run in files on My computer was already
ticked.....

Could this be something more to do with Windows than Internet Explorer - I
have no idea, just trying to figure it out!!

Thanks for the help so far!!!

jomuir said:
Hello,

Thank you for your quick reply!!!

I tried the first bits in No.1 and unfortunately that did not work, I did
not try number 2 as it points me to:- http://support.microsoft.com/kb/216434/
and it the bottom where is states what it applies to it does not cover
Internet Explorer 6.

Any other ideas that might help? Should I do point 2 anyway (presume it will
cause no harm to my pc?)

Thanks!!

Don Varnau

Hi,
In Internet Options> Security> Trusted Sites> Sites, "Require server
verification" should be unchecked.

Internet Options> General> Temporary Internet Files> Settings> View Objects,
choose Details view. Remove any "damaged" objects. Remove any objects from
crucial.com or microsoft/office update.

Are you sure that a third-party security/ad-blocking program isn't blocking
scripts, scripting, active content?

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Require server verification" was and is unchecked.

Remove any "damaged" objects. Remove any objects - nothing was listed as
damaged and nothing from microsoft or crucial listed at all, just the
following:-
Java Runtime Enviroment 1.5.0 (3 0f them all the same version, one 4KB, the
other 2 noneKB)
MsnMessenger SetupDownloadControl Class
Shockwave Active Control
Shockwave Flash Object
Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool

All of these have the status of "Installed"

3rd party products that could be causing problem (but where on my other pc
before I did a rebuild on this one, so should not be) are:-

Microsoft Antispyware
AVG Free Edition Antivirus
Linksys Wireless router (this lets my old pc download activeX and my work
Notebook)

I turned off the above 2 and still could not get it to work - however I was
not asked if I wanted to install ActiveX ("This site might require the...")
on the toolbar, it just went straight to "Your security settings do not allow
Web sites to use ActiveX......"

Same thing when I activeted them again.......on the office.microsoft update
site I am not even getting the notification tool bar anymore, it gets to 10%
then stops.

Thanks for the help!!!

:

"jomuir" wrote in message
[...]

Try deleting the Temporary Internet Files folder for the affected user
account. Make sure that you can see hidden files (Folder Options> View) Then
login as another user with administrator privileges, or from the machine's
default administrator account (startup in safe mode) and delete the affected
TIF folder from Windows Explorer. It will be at [C:\Documents and
Settings\username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files]

315222 - A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP:

You would not be able to delete this folder when logged in as
yourself- it's "In use." You should be able to delete it from the
Administrator account.

It's often recommended that the TIF folder size be set to about 50 MB.
That's set at Internet Options> General> Temporary Internet Files> Settings.

Also, delete any cookies from Microsoft or Crucial. In Internet Options>
Privacy, set the slider to Accept all (briefly- as a test ) or put these two
sites in the Always allow list.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"jomuir" wrote in message
[...]

(KB896688_fix.exe;

"jomuir" wrote in message
[...]

Still not joy!! I had to reduce the size to get it to 50MB, it was
automatically set over 2000MB......deleted the files and moved the slider
(about to move it back) but still no joy.

Thanks again.

"jomuir" wrote in message
[...]

Not sure if this has anything to do with this or not, but when I download a
file, then click on open nothing happens - I need to go to the location that
I saved the file and then open it.

The same thing if I click on run and not download - I will see the timer
going and once it has finished downloading nothing happens, so need to
download it and go to the downloaded location and open it from there.

As I said not sure if this is related to the same problem or not but if it
is I thought I had better say.

Thanks!

Hi,

"jomuir" wrote in message
[...]

Did you delete the Temporary Internet Files *folder* or just clear out the
files? The TIF folder may be corrupted. Deleting it will allow a new one to
be created. And, the TIF folder (cache) will be less prone to corruption if
you keep it below 100 MB. 50-60 MB is large enough, but not too large for
most users.

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Hi,

jomuir said:
[...]

10%
then stops.
:

"jomuir" wrote in message
[...]

Click here for optionsâà ¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚¦"

[...]

yes, I changed the cahche to 50MB and Internet Options/General Delete
Cookies, Delete Files and Clear History. Then I logged out and signed in as
admin and deleted the actual folder. Rebooted and tried to access these sites
again, but with no joy.

Thanks

Don Varnau said:
Hi,
Did you delete the Temporary Internet Files *folder* or just clear out the
files? The TIF folder may be corrupted. Deleting it will allow a new one to
be created. And, the TIF folder (cache) will be less prone to corruption if
you keep it below 100 MB. 50-60 MB is large enough, but not too large for
most users.

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Hi,

"jomuir" wrote in message
[...]

Sorry. I don't know what to try next...

Maybe there's something in one of these articles that hasn't been tried:

818018- How to troubleshoot problems connecting to Windows Update [ActiveX]:
870700 - How to troubleshoot problems accessing secure Web pages with IE 6
[XP] SP2: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;870700

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

yes, I changed the cache to 50MB and Internet Options/General Delete

"jomuir" wrote in message
[...]

Click here for optionsÃÃ
‚¢Ã
¢â€šÂ¬à ƒâ€šÃ‚¦"
[...]

Robert Aldwinckle

jomuir said:
4 values are correct, added both to trusted site and still no luck (however
it did seem to take longer to say no - I thought it was working!!)

Use the Privacy Report (e.g. press Alt-V,v)
to see if all the domains referred to are trusted.

Otherwise it may help to be more specific about your symptoms
while discussing a specific example. You can break down the
process of rendering a page by using maximal prompting,
e.g. by modifying the Security settings so that any setting which
is currently enabled is changed to a prompt.

In addition when a prompt occurs you will be able to take note
of any other changes which have happened between prompts.
In particular you can be more aware of changes in the Status bar,
Title bar, and Address bar; so it is a good idea to do your testing
in a maximized window to be able to capture as much of that information
as possible.

To provide maximum prompting safely I suggest you change only settings
which are currently Enabled (e.g. Green dot beside the Enable choice.)
The procedure I use then to do this is:
1. doubleclick on the security zone icon in the IE status bar
(to open the Security settings dialog)
2. click Default Level (to reset settings to Medium)
3. click on Custom Level
4. press P (finds the first/next Prompt choice)
5. if Enable for that option is green press Space
(changes the Enable choice to Prompt)
6. repeat to 4 through 5 to the end of the list.

When you are through testing repeat steps 1 and 2.

Note: the above diagnostic is especially useful when you know
what a successful sequence of prompts for a particular site should look like.
That's why I suggest discussing a particular example. Then others can
tell you where your sequence diverges from theirs. Etc.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Not too sure what I am doing, but clicked on one of the initial links and
ended up looking through files (not making changes or saving anything!!):-

So in System Information/Tool/Dr Watson....Application error:-
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe c0000005 flash(1001CFD3)

Moire info:-
Application exception occurred:
App: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe (pid=752)
When: 13/12/2005 @ 20:33:44.281
Exception number: c0000005 (access violation)

Could this have anythign to do withn it? I will continue to read through
both the replies...

Thanks

Robert Aldwinckle

jomuir said:
Not too sure what I am doing, but clicked on one of the initial links and
ended up looking through files (not making changes or saving anything!!):-

So in System Information/Tool/Dr Watson....Application error:-
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe c0000005 flash(1001CFD3)

Ok. I guess you have been reading some of my replies to others? ;}

This shows that the crashing module is flash
BTW was there no extension listed? E.g. flash.ocx perhaps?

Don already had you looking at View Objects to remove damaged ones.
Now that you know which one is involved in a crash perhaps you should
remove it too even if it doesn't show as damaged. After you remove it
and go to a site which features Flash content you should be prompted
to go to the Macromedia site (assuming it is still called that.) to download
the latest version of the plugin.

Moire info:-
Application exception occurred:
App: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe (pid=752)
When: 13/12/2005 @ 20:33:44.281
Exception number: c0000005 (access violation)

This shows that you have found a drwtsn32.log (or viewed and copied
the first few lines of a dump using drwtsn32.exe). The most useful part
is the Stack Back Trace which follows the line prefixed by FAULT ->
(in an English dump). Please don't post a whole dump to the newsgroup.

In this case it would just be additional detail to show how the crash in
flash.ocx was occurring.

Could this have anythign to do withn it? I will continue to read through
both the replies...

Try getting rid of the Flash object you have now
and see if your symptoms change.

BTW I can find only an indirect reference to flash.ocx
using the Shockwave Flash Object Properties, General tab.
E.g. on mine I see ID: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000}
I had to take that CLSID, open RegEdit and do a find in there for a key
which is named that. Then expand that to show its InprocServer32 subkey.
That subkey contains a direct full reference to the flash.ocx module.

Good luck

Robert
---