To MSFT Employees...32Bit v 64Bit

Chris Lanier

I dont know much about ActiveX, but would their not be a way to put an
ActiveX script on a page and users could click it to see if they have 32Bit
or 64Bit? This seems like an incresing problem and their has got to be a
script you can put on the Security Patch pages to find out this info. The
basic user would most likly find this very helpful.

kurttrail

Chris said:
I dont know much about ActiveX, but would their not be a way to put an
ActiveX script on a page and users could click it to see if they have
32Bit or 64Bit? This seems like an incresing problem and their has
got to be a script you can put on the Security Patch pages to find
out this info. The basic user would most likly find this very
helpful.

Or just calling the 64bit version, the "Itanium Version," and calling
the 32bit version, "Just-About-Everybody-In-The-World Version."

--
Peace!
Kurt

Chris Lanier

You need to read the question next time Nick! :)
You have the 32-bit version of Windows XP. The 64-bit version is
only commercially available for very expensive, high-end Itanium processors.

Blaster Worm: Critical Security Patch for Windows XP (32-bit version)
http://microsoft.com/downloads/deta...6C-C5B6-44AC-9532-3DE40F69C074&displaylang=en

--
Nicholas

------------

| I dont know much about ActiveX, but would their not be a way to put an
| ActiveX script on a page and users could click it to see if they have
32Bit
| or 64Bit? This seems like an incresing problem and their has got to be a
| script you can put on the Security Patch pages to find out this info. The
| basic user would most likly find this very helpful.

Chris Lanier

Thats not true. i bet their are ppl at work who maybe dont have a IT
department to install things like this is use 64 Bit systems.

Jim Macklin

Government school ?

Everybody with a "home or small office PC" has the 32 bit
OS. You need to spend big bucks to get a computer that will
run a 64 bit OS.

MS does have a note that the 32 bit OS is the common
version.

message | Thats not true. i bet their are ppl at work who maybe
dont have a IT
| department to install things like this is use 64 Bit
systems.

| | > : I dont know much about ActiveX, but would their not be
| > : way to put an ActiveX script on a page and users could
| > : click it to see if they have 32Bit or 64Bit? This
seems
| > : like an incresing problem and their has got to be a
| > : script you can put on the Security Patch pages to find
| > : out this info. The basic user would most likly find
this
| > : very helpful.
| >
| > Why not just put up a web page that tells people that
they

(http://www.grisoft.com).
| > 8/12/2003

Randall Arnold

"Let me know when you find a company that uses XP-64 that does not have any
IT staff"

LOL!

Too true!

Randall Arnold

Chris Lanier

That perfect, it would just be great it something like it was on the
Knowbase articles when they have the 32bit and 64bit patchs for XP listed.

Mike Mueller

But they probably have consultants that they use and/or
someone there knows they are not using XP-32. I never made
out XP-64 to be overly expensive, just the systems they run
on. The cheapest I found was 1750 used, usually above 5000.

: These a small company rigth here in houston that uses
: AutoCAD with 64Bit XP on Itanium's. Only about 5 ppl
: work there. No IT group. Windows XP 64Bit is not that
: big expersive thing you guys make it out to be.
:
: :: Let me know when you find a company that uses XP-64 that
:: does not have any IT staff.
::
::: Thats not true. i bet their are ppl at work who maybe
::: dont have a IT department to install things like this is
::: use 64 Bit systems.
:::
::: ::::: I dont know much about ActiveX, but would their not
::::: be a
::::: way to put an ActiveX script on a page and users could
::::: click it to see if they have 32Bit or 64Bit? This
::::: seems
::::: like an incresing problem and their has got to be a
::::: script you can put on the Security Patch pages to find
::::: out this info. The basic user would most likly find
::::: this
::::: very helpful.
::::
:::: Why not just put up a web page that tells people that
:::: they
:::: have the 32 bit version if they need to ask
::::
::::
::::
:::: ---
:::: Checked by AVG anti-virus system
:::: (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.509 / Virus
:::: Database: 306 - Release Date: 8/12/2003
::
::
::
::
:: ---
:: Checked by AVG anti-virus system
:: (http://www.grisoft.com).
:: 8/12/2003

Chris Lanier

I'm not going to sit an aruge, but
http://www.hp.com/workstations/itanium/index.html

yes it is very true that home users are not likely at all to have it, but it
does seem to be an issue Microsoft needs to address. and they cant just say
that "you have 32bit if you need to ask", that would be very unprofessional
and the ppl who do pay for 64bit would get screwed to. that's why it would
just be a good idea for Microsoft to come up with a way for you to click a
button on the site and have it tell you if you have 32bit or 64bit.

GSV Three Minds in a Can

from the wonderful said:
"Let me know when you find a company that uses XP-64 that does not have any
IT staff"

Or even 'let me know if you find anyone using the 64 bit version who
doesn't know they have the 64 bit version'. I doubt there are even 10k
of them (paying users) on the whole planet yet.

Chris Lanier

so your saying that an very computer literate cant own a 64bit computer in
their house for use with AutoCAD or something and a family member who gets a
virus and needs to know howto it. Is their not a chance that could happen?
you guys have no idea.

mrtee

They already do, "Scan for updates", the correct update is automatically selected and installed. It is when you go looking for things (as in the Windows update catalogue) to download and install that it becomes "complicated".

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff
| I'm not going to sit an aruge, but
| http://www.hp.com/workstations/itanium/index.html
|
| yes it is very true that home users are not likely at all to have it, but it
| does seem to be an issue Microsoft needs to address. and they cant just say
| that "you have 32bit if you need to ask", that would be very unprofessional
| and the ppl who do pay for 64bit would get screwed to. that's why it would
| just be a good idea for Microsoft to come up with a way for you to click a
| button on the site and have it tell you if you have 32bit or 64bit.

Chris Lanier

You do know that tomarrow the windows update site will be attacked, right?
Windowsupdate.com is offline right now in preporation of this. half the
users are posting that they cant access the site b/c they dont know the
address of the site in with Windowsupdate.com directs you to.

http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp

"mrtee" <hingelickeratnew.rr.com> wrote in message
They already do, "Scan for updates", the correct update is automatically
selected and installed. It is when you go looking for things (as in the
Windows update catalogue) to download and install that it becomes
"complicated".

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff
| I'm not going to sit an aruge, but
| http://www.hp.com/workstations/itanium/index.html
|
| yes it is very true that home users are not likely at all to have it, but
it
| does seem to be an issue Microsoft needs to address. and they cant just
say
| that "you have 32bit if you need to ask", that would be very
unprofessional
| and the ppl who do pay for 64bit would get screwed to. that's why it
would
| just be a good idea for Microsoft to come up with a way for you to click a
| button on the site and have it tell you if you have 32bit or 64bit.

MCL

In Chris Lanier deftly
typed:
so your saying that an very computer literate cant own a 64bit
computer in their house for use with AutoCAD or something and a
family member who gets a virus and needs to know howto it. Is their
not a chance that could happen?

NO.

mrtee

And that has what to do with what I wrote? I have been using
http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp for over 2 years. Yes, I did know that.
--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff
| You do know that tomarrow the windows update site will be attacked, right?
| Windowsupdate.com is offline right now in preporation of this. half the
| users are posting that they cant access the site b/c they dont know the
| address of the site in with Windowsupdate.com directs you to.
|
| http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp
|
| "mrtee" <hingelickeratnew.rr.com> wrote in message
| | They already do, "Scan for updates", the correct update is automatically
| selected and installed. It is when you go looking for things (as in the
| Windows update catalogue) to download and install that it becomes
| "complicated".
|
| --
| Just my 2¢ worth,
| Jeff

Duncan McNutt

When is the RTM date of XP pro 64bit? Will it be before or after Athlon 64's
are out on the shelf?

CZ

When is the RTM date of XP pro 64bit? Will it be before or after Athlon
64's
are out on the shelf?

Duncan:

"August 6, 2003, 4:47 PM PT
The Athlon 64 chip from Advanced Micro Devices is coming out toward the end
of September, and software that takes full advantage of the chip won't be
that far behind.
Microsoft will release a version of Windows optimized for the chip in the
fourth quarter of this year or the first quarter of 2004, Marty Seyer, vice
president and general manager of AMD's microprocessor business unit, said in
an interview this week.
The beta version of the operating system will become available in "late Q3,"
he added. That's slightly later than the midyear release of the beta
Microsoft had promised earlier, but the estimated release schedule of the
final version conforms to the expectations of most analysts.
Microsoft declined to give a timetable for the final release of the product,
but it reiterated that the beta would come out "toward the middle of the
year." The Redmond, Wash.-based software developer has said it will offer
desktop and server versions of the 64-bit Windows for the AMD chip. "