Title overlay duration

I want to decrease the length of a title overlay, but it will only decrease
so far. I click and drag the trim, but it will stop decreasing at a certain
length of time. Can I override this somehow and decrease the overlay to a
shorter time?

Rehan

Which title are you using ? And have you expanded the timeline by pressing
Page Down a few times (or clicking on the + magnifying glass icon right
above the timeline).

But note that each type of title has a minimum duration which is cooked in
its definition. For example the minimum duration for "Fade in and out" title
is 2.25 seconds while the "Basic title" can go as low as 0.25 seconds. Best
if you try out other title than what you are using now.

One trick you may be able to do is to first apply the "basic title" and
reduce its duration to 0.25 seconds say and then change the title animation
to be "fade, In and out". This sort of works... but you will see that the
title animation gets cut short destroying the intended effect.

Hope it helps.

John Kelly

Hello there,

Make sure you zoom in as far as you can by repeatedly pressing the tiny plus
sign on a button to the left of the time line......I think you will be able to
drag the side of the overlay as far as you want.

--
Best Wishes.....John Kelly
www.the-kellys.org

Rehan

John Kelly said:
Make sure you zoom in as far as you can by repeatedly pressing the tiny
plus
sign on a button to the left of the time line......I think you will be
able to
drag the side of the overlay as far as you want.

I have been trying to follow your advice... but I am not able to 'drag the
side of the overlay' for "Fade, In and Out" to less than 2.25 seconds... Am
I missing something ?

--
Rehan
www.rehanfx.org - get more effects and transitions for movie maker

John Kelly

I guess you are !!

--
Best Wishes.....John Kelly
www.the-kellys.org
www.the-kellys.co.uk
Just glad I don't live in Croydon, UK
\|||/
(o o)
----------ooO-(_)-Ooo-------------
All material gained from other sources is duly acknowledged. No Value is
obtained by publishing in any format other peoples work

John Kelly

For 5 minutes only...there is a demo on my site

--
Best Wishes.....John Kelly
www.the-kellys.org
www.the-kellys.co.uk
Just glad I don't live in Croydon, UK
\|||/
(o o)
----------ooO-(_)-Ooo-------------
All material gained from other sources is duly acknowledged. No Value is
obtained by publishing in any format other peoples work

John Kelly

I can't tell if you have seen the demo or not as there are quitr a few others on
the site...In any case the demo has now been removed

--
Best Wishes.....John Kelly
www.the-kellys.org
www.the-kellys.co.uk
Just glad I don't live in Croydon, UK
\|||/
(o o)
----------ooO-(_)-Ooo-------------
All material gained from other sources is duly acknowledged. No Value is
obtained by publishing in any format other peoples work

Rehan

I am sorry I havent.... Why so quick... surely many may benefit with such a
trick.

John Kelly

I wondered why my last message had not turned up...its because I attached the
video to the message and Microsoft server refused to accept it...so the next
message will have it as a zip file

--
Best Wishes.....John Kelly
www.the-kellys.org
www.the-kellys.co.uk
Just glad I don't live in Croydon, UK
\|||/
(o o)
----------ooO-(_)-Ooo-------------
All material gained from other sources is duly acknowledged. No Value is
obtained by publishing in any format other peoples work

John Kelly

Please take note that the normal popup window could not be captured by Media
Encoder....don't know why.

--
Best Wishes.....John Kelly
www.the-kellys.org
www.the-kellys.co.uk
Just glad I don't live in Croydon, UK
\|||/
(o o)
----------ooO-(_)-Ooo-------------
All material gained from other sources is duly acknowledged. No Value is
obtained by publishing in any format other peoples work

Rehan

Hmmm...

Thanks for making the effort but I am sorry John; I remain unconvinced.

Refer to my original message:
but I am not able to 'drag the side of the overlay' for
"Fade, In and Out" to less than 2.25 seconds
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

In the sceen capture you provided, it is not clear which Title you are
trying to manipulate. I specifically asked about the title named "Fade, In
and Out" which apparantly has a 2.25 sec lower limit. Are you doing this to
"Fade, in and out" ? Other titles such as "Basic title" (which I think you
are using there) also have a lower limit but it is much less: around 0.25
sec.

--
Rehan
www.rehanfx.org - get more effects and transitions for movie maker

John Kelly

Well thanks again...for calling some one else a liar...

For those at Microsoft, regarding my complaint about the behavior of rehan here
is further evidence of his attitude towards anyone who dares disagree with him.
the video attached to my prior message shows me moving the slider for a caption
down to the 0.25 second mark...rehan says he is not convinced. How can you not
be convinced? the recording is either genuine or its not...which means he thinks
I fixed it which means he is now calling the second person this week a liar.
What more proof would you need?

--
John Kelly
www.the-kellys.org
www.the-kellys.co.uk
Just glad I don't live in Croydon, UK
\|||/
(o o)
----------ooO-(_)-Ooo-------------
All material gained from other sources is duly acknowledged. No Value is
obtained by publishing in any format other peoples work

PapaJohn \(MVP\)

I figured that would he an easy one to check. I tried the title overlay
"Fade, In and Out" and can't get it to less than 2.25 seconds in duration.

I'm wondering if it might be confused with the Fade transition, which has a
minimum default duration of 0.25 seconds, and I can nudge it down to 0.13
seconds. But it's a transition, not a text overlay.
--
PapaJohn

Movie Maker 2 - www.papajohn.org
Photo Story 2 - www.photostory.papajohn.org

..

Dean Rowe [MS]

There are rules on how long a title can be based upon the animation. For
example if you add a title based on "Fade, In and Out" the minimum will be
2:25 as PapaJohn says below. Any quicker and the title wouldn't look very
good.

If you switch the title to be "Basic Title" then you can make the title very
short as there is no animation.

For the very keen among you, you'll notice that can switch the title to
Basic Title, change the duration to be very short, and then switch it back
to "Fade, In and Out", thereby defeating our duration checks :). Although
this is something I wouldn't recommend.

Regards
Dean Rowe

John Kelly

Hello Dean,

I must tell you that you are very badly out of order....you have yet again
demonstrated I am right and that once more rehan is wrong.

I have just received an email from your andrew brown he will not be at all
happy with you...naughty boy Dean....now go and wonder how you are going to
justify telling the truth.

--
Best Wishes.....John Kelly
www.the-kellys.org
www.the-kellys.co.uk
Just glad I don't live in Croydon, UK
\|||/
(o o)
----------ooO-(_)-Ooo-------------
All material gained from other sources is duly acknowledged. No Value is
obtained by publishing in any format other peoples work

Dean Rowe [MS]

I know I should have read the email thread more fully first, but my post
below is essentially the same as what Rehan said in his first reply to this
thread. So apologies to Rehan for saying the same thing he already said, but
I can confirm his analysis is correct.
Regards
Dean Rowe

John Kelly

Hello Dean,

So that you are fore warned about the amazing stance taken by mr andrew
brown....here is my reply to him together with his comments.....It seems that
its not OK to contradict people in here...so be carefull...the truth has no
place here...neither is the right to defend yourself...

Sir,
All I can say then is that you have been very selective in which messages you
chose to review....your impression of what has taken place is very wrong.
With regard to the slights against the person you call a valued
professional....I must say sir that I can not imagine what kind of measure you
are comparing him to.
I have said it many times publicly and I will say it again now....papajohn is a
joke, he demonstrates an ineptitude that can only be bettered by the people who
think he is good!!! Its clear that the people making decisions have no clue at
all.
Perhaps you missed where rehan demanded that Mr. Cees from Holland PROVE that he
had access to a certain type of machine...you appear to be saying that that
response is reasonable...you are on your own if you think that.
You make no mention of his insinuations about my personal health...WHY NOT???
WHY are you defending a person who is totally inept...he spins stories about
what XP does....he challenges anyone who dare contradict him...the very long
running battle with the man over how many pixels are in a 16:9 ratio
image.......he was finally put down by a person from Microsoft who actually
knows what he is talking about...you should gain his view on that particular
event.
Perhaps you have not seen the more recent messages where rehan called me a liar
even after I sent a video showing what can take place in movie maker....I am
very disappointed in your attitude....I rather think that the matter should not
be put to rest at this time and that I should find someone within your company
that can both review ALL remarks made and have the technical ability enabling a
decission based on facts rather than, as papajohn once told me, "fixing things
through the back channels"
You also seem to believe that anyone can attack me by the use of personal
attacks but its not ok for me to respond......I used far less violent
terminology than those who berated me when I previously dared to point out that
papajohn was yet again wrong....I did not receive a single reply from you when I
complained. You are clearly very inconsistent Mr. Brown...and its easy to
demonstrate it.
It would seem that the only community you are interested in is one where no one
dare challenge anything thats said when they can see that it is wrong and that
you would rather stop the rights of anyone to free speech in continuing to point
out that the information is wrong and bringing that situation to the notice of
the person needing it. When are you going to make an evaluation on how RELIABLE
the information is...will you threaten the next person who dares to contradict
some of the absolute rubish that is publ;ished by these people and rigourously
stands up against them when they become personal????
Finaly, you have just been shot in the foot by another MS techy who agrees that
I am correct and rehan is not on the more recent issue of how short a title can
be.......how do you propose to justify your self now?
John Kelly