Time synchronization

James Silverton

This may be a FAQ but I am puzzled. I have tried to synchronize
the time with time.nist.gov, pool.ntp.org and time.windows.com
but got the message "An error occurred....". All three addresses
can be sucessfully pinged. Has anyone any advice?

Thanks in advance.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Zilbandy

This may be a FAQ but I am puzzled. I have tried to synchronize
the time with time.nist.gov, pool.ntp.org and time.windows.com
but got the message "An error occurred....". All three addresses
can be sucessfully pinged. Has anyone any advice?

I had the same problem a few weeks back. I changed my time server to
tock.usno.navy.mil and it's working fine again. One of life's little
mysteries. :)

Ron Hardin

When my time sync fails, I have to put the time server in ZoneAlarm firewall's
trusted zone, usually.

James Silverton

Ron wrote on Tue, 16 Oct 2007 13:42:25 -0400:

RH> When my time sync fails, I have to put the time server in
RH> ZoneAlarm firewall's trusted zone, usually.
RH> --
RH> (e-mail address removed)

RH> On the internet, nobody knows you're a jerk.

Thanks everyone! I tried tock.usno.navy.mil with the same
result. I then restored my MacAfee firewall to its default
settings. Time synchronization stated that I had *never*
synchronized before: a blatant lie! However, I then used
pool.ntp.org and the synchronization was successful!

Scratching my head in bewilderment and hoping things will work
next week at the scheduled time!