time spent editing?

Peter T. Daniels

Long ago, there was discussion of a notation somewhere in a Word
document file that tells you how long (cumulatively) a document has
been open. It wouldn't be useful for billing, because it doesn't tell
you how long you actually worked on a file, but it could give a
general idea of time spent if you remember to close it after each
session.

I can't find such a thing under "Properties," nor anywhere else one
might plausibly look.

Word2007, but a Compatibility Mode .doc.

Is that reckoning available somewhere?

Peter T. Daniels

So I searched the group archive and found this message (referring to
Word97!) from Graham Mayor in 2000:

"Have a look at the DocProperty field - the 'total editing time'
option might
be what you require. This will show the time in minutes on opening the
file."

Incredibly, entering "DocProperty" in Word Help (2007) turned up
exactly one response, which directed me to exactly what I was looking
for:

Office button > Prepare > Properties > Document Properties > Advanced
Properties > Statistics

Peter T. Daniels

(But Customize the Ribbon won't get me any closer to it than
"Properties.")

Suzanne S. Barnhill

It's still in Properties, on the Statistics tab ("Total editing time"). The
trick is to actually access that dialog. Ultimately, your best bet is to go
to Office Button | Word Options | Customize Quick Access Tool Bar, select
"Commands Not in the Ribbon," look for "Advanced Document Properties," and
add it to the QAT.

Until you do that, however, if you have the Developer tab displayed, you can
open the Document Panel (bypassing the useless intervening dialog by
clicking OK without filling any boxes) and then click on the useless
Document Properties arrow, which gives you a menu of (only) "Advanced
Properties." This opens the familiar dialog.

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in message

Long ago, there was discussion of a notation somewhere in a Word
document file that tells you how long (cumulatively) a document has
been open. It wouldn't be useful for billing, because it doesn't tell
you how long you actually worked on a file, but it could give a
general idea of time spent if you remember to close it after each
session.

I can't find such a thing under "Properties," nor anywhere else one
might plausibly look.

Word2007, but a Compatibility Mode .doc.

Is that reckoning available somewhere?

Suzanne S. Barnhill

See my reply to your earlier post.

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in message

(But Customize the Ribbon won't get me any closer to it than
"Properties.")

Peter T. Daniels

That saves all but one click, so it's a considerable improvement.
Merci beaucoup.

But there's a much easier way to get at customizing the QAT: at the
right end of the QAT is a double down-pointing chevron. Click that.
Near the bottom of its list is something like "More Commands," which
opens the large QAT customization panel.