Time Service in Windows XP

Dani

Hello

What is the best practise to configure the W32Time Service on a laptop with windows xp?

When the Laptop is conected to the domain, then it will get the time from the time server(W2K3 DC with PDC).
But when the Laptop is on the Road, then I get the following message:
Source: W32Time / EventID: 14
The time provider NtpClient was unable to find a domain controller to use as a time source. NtpClient will try again in 15 minutes.
For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Source: W32Time / EventID: 29
The time provider NtpClient is configured to acquire time from one or more time sources, however none of the sources are currently accessible. No attempt to contact a source will be made for 15 minutes. NtpClient has no source of accurate time.
For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Is it possible, that I can confgure to settings. 1 for internal an one if the client is on the road

Thanks for any advise

Kind Regards

Dani

Mike C#

PD43 said:
Forget about it and buy a cheap wristwatch.

Or you could buy a really expensive wristwatch like this one:
http://www.romainjerome.ch/en/les-inatendus/day-and-night-en.aspx

It costs $300K and doesn't tell you hours, minutes, or seconds. But it will
tell you whether it's day or night. A little something for rich people who
can't tell whether or not it's dark outside. For $150K I would stay on call
24 hours a day to tell people whether it's daytime or nighttime. And I'd
throw in the current hour for free. :)

David E. Ross

[...]

I also disabled the Windows capability. Instead, I purchased
SocketWatch from Robomagic Software Corp at
<http://www.locutuscodeware.com/>. It costs $10.

SocketWatch's database includes ~100 public time servers across the
Internet. It polls a subset (user set, defaulting to 5) of servers.
Scoring the quality of each response, it picks the response with the
best score. A response with a really bad score is automatically dropped
from the subset and replaced with another server in the database.

The user can set the frequency of clock synchronizations. I
resynchronize every hour. Other options provide for a timeout
threshold, setting timezone, etc. Updating the database to add new
servers and delete defunct servers is possible, but it requires doing
your own research and editing an ASCII file.

--
David Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Have you been using Netscape and now feel abandoned by AOL?
Then use SeaMonkey. Go to <http://www.seamonkey-project.org/>.

Jian-Ping Zhu [MSFT]

Hello,

I think the simplest solution is just ignore the warning message when the
laptop is on the road.

After your computer is joined to the domain, your computer clock is
synchronized automatically by a network time server. If all the network
time servers are not available, the warning messages like your current one
will occur. This will happen when the laptop is offline. However, you could
just ignore these warning messages and the clock will be synchronized when
it is reconnected to the domain. Moreover, it is not recommended to disable
clock synchronization on your computer. It is important to synchronized all
clients clock in the domain. Otherwise, some services and applications
might not work properly.

If you really want to use different settings, you can configure a laptop to
use an internet time server on road and then configure the laptop to use a
domain time server in domain environment.

To automate the operation, you can consider creating two batch files.

For more information on how to configure time server, please refer to the
following Microsoft Knowledge Base articles:

307897 How to synchronize the time with the Windows Time
service in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;307897

314054 How to configure an authoritative time server in
Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314054

Please refer to the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article to get a
list of internet time server:

262680 A list of the Simple Network Time Protocol (SNTP) time
servers that are available on the Internet
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;262680

I hope this helps. Thanks.

Sincerely,
Neo Zhu,
Microsoft Online Support

| From: "Dani" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Time Service in Windows XP
| Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 00:54:59 +0200
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
|
| Hello
| What is the best practise to configure the W32Time Service on a laptop
with windows xp?
| When the Laptop is conected to the domain, then it will get the time from
the time server(W2K3 DC with PDC).
| But when the Laptop is on the Road, then I get the following message:
| Source: W32Time / EventID: 14
| The time provider NtpClient was unable to find a domain controller to use
as a time source. NtpClient will try again in 15 minutes.
| For more information, see Help and Support Center at
| Source: W32Time / EventID: 29
| The time provider NtpClient is configured to acquire time from one or
more time sources, however none of the sources are currently accessible. No
attempt to contact a source will be made for 15 minutes. NtpClient has no
source of accurate time.
| For more information, see Help and Support Center at
| Is it possible, that I can confgure to settings. 1 for internal an one if
the client is on the road
| Thanks for any advise
| Kind Regards
| Dani

Dani

Hello

Is there any help?

[...]

Hello Dani,

Thank you for your feedback.

It's my pleasure to help you.

If you still need any assistance, please feel free to post back.

Thanks again for using newsgroup!

Sincerely,
Neo Zhu,
Microsoft Online Support