time format

afdmello

How can type 0700hrs in a cell ? it always reverts to 700hrs.

Is there any way that fill series does not work? for eg I have typed 1 and 2
in column when I click and drag to fill series it only fills as 1 not the
sequence 3, 4 ...

Rick Rothstein \(MVP - VB\)

How can type 0700hrs in a cell ? it always reverts to 700hrs.

Select the cell, right click it, select Format Cells, choose Custom in the
Category list on the Number tab and enter 0000 in the Type field.
Is there any way that fill series does not work? for eg I have
typed 1 and 2 in column when I click and drag to fill series it
only fills as 1 not the sequence 3, 4 ...

Select both the cells with 1 and 2 in them, then drag to fill the series.

Rick

Gord Dibben

See Rick's response about formatting to 0000 to enter 700 and get 0700

But take note...........this will not be a real time with which you do
calculations.

On the second item.

Enter 1 in a cell, select a range of cells below and Edit>Fill>Series>Linear and
Step Value of 1 and OK.

Without selecting a range other than active cell, enter a Stop Value also.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

*alan*

Just curious --- is there any particular advantage doing it that way rather
than the much simpler method ("Select both the cells with 1 and 2 in them,
then drag to fill the series") proposed by Rick?

[..]

Gord Dibben

None that I know of except you don't have to enter numbers in both cells.

If you are looking for "much simpler", another method which I think is easiest
is to enter a 1 in top cell then right-click and drag.

Release button and "Fill Series".

Gord

Just curious --- is there any particular advantage doing it that way rather
than the much simpler method ("Select both the cells with 1 and 2 in them,
then drag to fill the series") proposed by Rick?

[..]
On the second item.

Enter 1 in a cell, select a range of cells below and
Edit>Fill>Series>Linear and
Step Value of 1 and OK.

Without selecting a range other than active cell, enter a Stop Value also.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

afdmello

thanks
Gord Dibben said:
See Rick's response about formatting to 0000 to enter 700 and get 0700

But take note...........this will not be a real time with which you do
calculations.

On the second item.

Enter 1 in a cell, select a range of cells below and
Edit>Fill>Series>Linear and
Step Value of 1 and OK.

Without selecting a range other than active cell, enter a Stop Value also.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

*alan*

Thank you Gord,
That is indeed much simpler. Being a very lazy person, my main criteria for
the choosing to use a particular method are:
1. Does it take the least number of keystrokes and mouse-movements?
2. Is it easy to remember?
... and that wins on both counts.
I just started using Excel a few months ago at work and I'm continually
impressed that there always seem to be at least 3 or 4 ways of achieving the
same result.
Thanks again.
Alan

Gord Dibben said:
[...]

The one advantage of using the Edit>Fill>Series>Linear is that you can change
the step value to a number other than 1 and you can enter a stop value so's you
don't have to drag anything.

Gord

Gord Dibben said:
[...]

Aside from the fact that you have to drag it, you can do that with the "drag
method". Put 1 in A1, 3 in A2, highlight/drag them and only odd numbers will
be inserted. Put "January" in A1, "April" in A2, highlight/drag them and the
cells will be filled in with the quarterly months.

Rick