Time Calculation

alex

Hello experts,

Question on how to add hours to a time...

E.g., I have a time in A1 (let's say 6:06 AM)
I want to add an amount to A1 (let's say 8.5 hrs in cell B1)
My formula in C1 = A1+ Time(B1,30,0) [i'm adding a half hour for
lunch]

My formula returns 2:36 PM, I want it to return 3:06 PM (6:06 AM plus
8.5 hrs plus 30 minutes).

This formula works well when the amount in B1 is an integer (I know
this is obvious because the Time function reads > Time(hour, minute,
second).

I need a way to calculate a partial hour. I'd like this formula to
remain dynamic; i.e., allowing me to dump my start time in one cell,
my hours (any hour(s)) in another cell, and my ending hours in the
final cell. Keep in mind the time in A1 will change daily, as well as
the hours in cell B1; the 30 min for lunch, however, will not.

Thoughts?

David Biddulph

Are you sure, Fred? That would work if B1 was 8:30, but I believe that the
OP meant that he had 8.5 in B1.
In that case, he needs
=A1+B1/24+time(0,30,0)
--
David Biddulph

Fred Smith said:
You want:

c1: =a1+b1+time(0,30,0)

Fred

alex said:
[...]

Thoughts?- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Fred for the quick response...
The formula does not seem to work; I get 6:36 PM when I use your
formula.
It doesn't seem to recognize cell B1 as hours. Maybe I need to format
the cell in another manner?

alex

You want:
c1: =a1+b1+time(0,30,0)
[...]

the cell in another manner?- Hide quoted text -

You nailed it David...thanks.

Fred Smith

Thanks for catching the error, Dave. I was fixated on the wrong parameters for
the Time function, I forgot to verify whether b1 was time or hours.

Fred

David Biddulph said:
Are you sure, Fred? That would work if B1 was 8:30, but I believe that the OP
meant that he had 8.5 in B1.
In that case, he needs
=A1+B1/24+time(0,30,0)
--