Thread: macro for exctracting data from another workbook

Reaction score
hey i need to make a tool that extracts data from different workbooks and paste it in the current workbook.
Right now i am using vlookup function

VLOOKUP(A5,[workbook1.xlsx]$B$8:$AN$319,26,False) but it extracts data from workbook1 only one time. My job requires me to replace the old workbook1 with the new one daily so i want the cells to update themselves
whenever the workbook1 is updated or replaced with new1

need help asap

Reaction score
The problem you're going to run into here is that Excel is only good at replacing values from other workbooks a couple different ways. One way is to have both files open, and save the file with the references to the new workbook. Another possible solution is to use the Edit Links window in the workbook with the formulas to Update Links. How you do this will vary quite a bit depending on the version of Excel you have. You can also open both workbooks, and then to force an update, press F9 in the file with the formulas. Basically, Excel won't automatically pull values from a file that is closed unless you do something. I'll see if I can find a better answer for you though...

Ask a Question