third time

Naveed

hello all,

this is probably the third time that i am posting this problem on this
message board, and i would REALLY appreicate if i get any help. (thanks)

The problem is as follows:

i have a windowsXP pro running on a P4 machine. i am the only administrator
and my brother is the other limited accounts user.the system is not on a
network.
recently becuase of the MSBLAST worm, i installed the Microsoft patch for
winxp 32 bit version. before that i had also installed Mcaffee anti virus.

the patch installed without any hassels and everytyhing was working ok.
until my brother logged into the system.

whenever he tries to access any files he gets a VC++ runtime error dialog
saying that the explorer.exe has done something wrong.Pressing ok reloaded
the Explorer.exe (closing the previous process)but the problem persists. he
can't access anything but look at his desktop.

the only resolution to the problem is that if i make him the system
administrator, everything works fine.

can anyone tell me how i can get around this without giving him that
privilege?? (btw i uninstalled mcaffee and the .NEt framework in desperation
:)

any help would be highly appreciated.

Jim Macklin

The patch is designed to lock out unwanted access. As
administrator you must re-authorize his use of the
applications in his account.
Reinstall McAfee, make sure your firewall is active. McAfee
has a firewall which is better than XPs, but I like Zone
Alarm.

You need the patches, an updated a/v and a working firewall.

Make sure you place the programs you want your brother to
use in his user account program folder.

| hello all,
|
| this is probably the third time that i am posting this
problem on this
| message board, and i would REALLY appreicate if i get any
help. (thanks)

| The problem is as follows:
|
| i have a windowsXP pro running on a P4 machine. i am the
only administrator
| and my brother is the other limited accounts user.the
system is not on a
| network.
| recently becuase of the MSBLAST worm, i installed the
Microsoft patch for
| winxp 32 bit version. before that i had also installed
Mcaffee anti virus.

| the patch installed without any hassels and everytyhing
was working ok.
| until my brother logged into the system.
|
| whenever he tries to access any files he gets a VC++
runtime error dialog
| saying that the explorer.exe has done something
wrong.Pressing ok reloaded
| the Explorer.exe (closing the previous process)but the
problem persists. he
| can't access anything but look at his desktop.
|
| the only resolution to the problem is that if i make him
the system
| administrator, everything works fine.
|
| can anyone tell me how i can get around this without
giving him that
| privilege?? (btw i uninstalled mcaffee and the .NEt
framework in desperation
| :)
|
| any help would be highly appreciated.

Naveed

thanks a lot jim,

agreed, Mcafee does look impressive with it's latest outing.

i guess i'll create a new account for him since he wasnt doing much with the
old one.just surfing the net.

thanks again.

Jim Macklin

You can create a limited account and put it in a power user
group if he needs more than a limited account and still
restrict his access to most system settings or changes.

wrote in message
| | > The patch is designed to lock out unwanted access. As
| > administrator you must re-authorize his use of the
| > applications in his account.
| > Reinstall McAfee, make sure your firewall is active.
McAfee
| > has a firewall which is better than XPs, but I like Zone
| > Alarm.
| >
| > You need the patches, an updated a/v and a working
firewall.

| > Make sure you place the programs you want your brother
| > use in his user account program folder.

| > | > |
| > | hello all,
| > |
| > | this is probably the third time that i am posting this
| > problem on this
| > | message board, and i would REALLY appreicate if i get
any
| > help. (thanks)
| > |
| > | The problem is as follows:
| > |
| > | i have a windowsXP pro running on a P4 machine. i am
the
| > only administrator
| > | and my brother is the other limited accounts user.the
| > system is not on a
| > | network.
| > | recently becuase of the MSBLAST worm, i installed the
| > Microsoft patch for
| > | winxp 32 bit version. before that i had also installed
| > Mcaffee anti virus.
| > |
| > | the patch installed without any hassels and
everytyhing
| > was working ok.
| > | until my brother logged into the system.
| > |
| > | whenever he tries to access any files he gets a VC++
| > runtime error dialog
| > | saying that the explorer.exe has done something
| > wrong.Pressing ok reloaded
| > | the Explorer.exe (closing the previous process)but the
| > problem persists. he
| > | can't access anything but look at his desktop.
| > |
| > | the only resolution to the problem is that if i make
him
| > the system
| > | administrator, everything works fine.
| > |
| > | can anyone tell me how i can get around this without
| > giving him that
| > | privilege?? (btw i uninstalled mcaffee and the .NEt
| > framework in desperation
| > | :)
| > |