These are links!

micky

Hi,

I'm trying, remotely using Teamviewer, (for a friend who spent years
telling me she didn't want me using Teamviewer) to download and install
AVG and avg.com sends me to
http://download.cnet.com/AVG-AntiVi...2.html?part=dl-avg_free_us&subj=dl&tag=button

it has two buttons to download with:

http://dw.cbsi.com/redir?ttag=downl...viewguid=Oy-PHxla4jyhFbgOK54ugv1vry2duHwoQcKX

and

http://googleads.g.doubleclick.net/...mpaign=dcomnewspdr728&nm=3&nx=404&ny=-19&mb=2

With names like these, how can one believe they will give me AVG.exe?

Okay, I went through it again on my own computer, and it started giving
the AVG name again with a suffix of -CNET, so I took a chance and it's
working on her computer, scanning now, but why do the links have names
like this.

Doubleclick is famous for advertising, afaik and nothing else.

mynews.ath.cx

I put Avist on this PC too @ cnet.com
Doubleclick is famous for advertising,
afaik and nothing else.

Paul

micky said:
[...]

This is CNET, a.k.a. "Toolbars For All". Very democratic of them. /s

This is what the browser of a happy CNET customer looks like.
I bet this browser runs fast.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3100/2651970411_b210f8f3ac.jpg

*******

I must confess, I've run into pages with so many download
buttons, it must have taken me 20 minutes to figure out where
the download is. With some web pages, you really need to (in Firefox),
Save As for the page, and have it dropped as a set of files in
your download folder (that is, just the source code for the web
page, including style sheets and other crap). Then go through the
files one by one, for hints as to where the download might be hiding.
Some pages of course, have no downloads on them, and we've all run
into sham sites before, that only exist to get advertising
views and have no content at all to offer.

I tried your cbsi.com download, and the easy availability of files
in my copy of 7-ZIP, hints it is probably a "green" file. When
downloads contain UPX packed content, where your hex editor
encounters "high-density binary" in sector 0 of the file,
that's generally a hint they're hiding something. Sometimes in
7-ZIP, you can even see a "$PLUGINS" folder, which contains
the toolbars, ready to go.

I extracted the executables from the download, and all are clean
from an AV perspective. If there was a toolbar, the reaction
would not be all that strenuous in any case. So this is not
a guarantee of anything. The AV companies, for the most
part, "think toolbars are A-OK" and represent rough frontier
justice.

1ef311c44b22c97ab69fe19266ced618 *HtmLayout.dll
709094d39e92084a8d7d5b069f051b06 *avgmfapx.exe
4b614be8b8443d17e63b5215cafab79e *avgmfarx.dll
d5fa717d00111fe245f1536fd3fde709 *avgntdumpx.exe
7fe6b5b624f60cd8dc18f22d8957f28f *avgrdtesta.exe
ab7cf7d136993b6be86e7825e1913bb1 *avgrdtestx.exe
b39df70fff7cfb7f26ec3ea91d9bfc7c *avgrunasx.exe

(We don't know what they do, but they're nominally clean.)

HtmLayout.dll https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/...e03010fb5a5735d60b56fe577ae4455b8c4/analysis/
avgmfapx.exe https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/...9ddfa96759057060d2bfd4f8556c65ac41b/analysis/
avgmfarx.dll https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/...ba9290d69a82b7d576fd5b75d2de2a01cc4/analysis/
avgntdumpx.exe https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/...dc222e94a278bdfc263488c7e58cce9ed18/analysis/
avgrdtesta.exe https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/...95e1e53de78914ebd20c1c5a3fb630f2dd8/analysis/
avgrdtestx.exe https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/...e473d05e4cf20c9c2e96941713d9c193866/analysis/
avgrunasx.exe https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/...9bb3461bc1c29528c4443602b76460edfe4/analysis/

Have fun on teh interNetz,

Paul

Mayayana

CNet is now owned by CBS. That's probably what
cbsi.com is. The second link seems to be to get some
kind of nonsense "cleaner" that probaly tracks you
and shows ads. It hands you off to doubleclick,
undoubtedly for a cookie, in the process.

The rest is serverside parameters that allow information
to be transferred as you go from one webpage to another.
Each parameter is separated by &. Such parameters are often
used in lieu of cookies, to transfer info from one page to the
next, for instance if you click "Add to Cart" and then click
"check Out". Some parameters are obvious: "devicetype=desktop".
Some are not. As with Google search URLs, much of it can't be
known unless they tell you. But it's safe to assume they're
transferring information about what you're doing and who you
are, to the extent they can do that, and that they're tracking
you to show you ads, at the very least.

Personally I would always try not to download anything
from CNet. Their links can be bad. They try to sell you
on their downloader software. Basically it's a big company
trying to make a buck giving away free software. It's not
easy to do that honestly and still make a buck. Probably AVG
lets CNet show you ads and track you in exchange for the
CNet handling the download traffic.
If you have to download from places like that just try
to confirm the validity of the package and try to get
it without the "download manager".

I usually just search. I found this link that looks
clean:
http://www.filehippo.com/download_avg_antivirus_32/
It actually links to here:
http://aa-download.avg.com/filedir/inst/avg_free_x86_all_2014_4714a7694.exe

Also, anything from Major Geeks is usually OK.

I recently found someone trying to download my
software through a CNet link. The link was for a very
old version. CNet hasn't been authorized to list
my software for many years, since I refused to pay
them for listings. I don't know where they come up
with these links. They used to have a *very* old,
discontinued program of mine listed with a link coming
from Russia. I have no idea what was on the other end
of that link! I tried to contact them but as usual, couldn't
get through.
So... in other words.... CNet is a slimy swamp,
best avoided.

------ Interesting side story about Google that demonstrates
usage of url parameters:

If you go to Google these days they proxy you through their
server, unless you clean up the link yourself. Here's an
example. I searched for "green tray". This is one of the returns:

https://www.google.com/url?q=http:/...QQFjAH&usg=AFQjCNGHlSZfkd8aP5DMipfABYeUifNFdA

Google would send me to Yelp, but only after they've
run my click through their own server for tracking, unless
I clean up the link, using just what's between "q=" and
the next ampersand. They will then typically send a referrer
to Yelp. They don't send as much info as they used to in
most cases because they want webmasters to use Google
Analytics, but here's an example of a pretty good referrer I
got today:

http://www.google.ru/url?sa=t&rct=j...xFMOy1fgY-Q-9WA&bvm=bv.69837884,d.bGQ&cad=rjt

What does it tell? It tells more to Google than to me, but
I can figure out some of it. The searcher was from Russia
or E. Europe.

"q=windows%20installer%20unpacker"
The "q=" indicates the search terms typed in. So they
were searching for "windows installer unpacker"

"cd=2"
The "cd=" indicates the link number.
cd=2 indicates the link to my site was second
in the returns.

The actual link destination is also
in the referrer. Aside from that, I don't know what the
other parameters mean. Probably at least one is simply
a unique ID for tracking purposes.

VanguardLH

micky said:

Lot of freeware is hosted at download sites. It eliminates the cost of
the vendor having to supply the file server and bandwidth for a product
that generates them no revenue. The download sites qualify their free
downloads (not free software but just the downloads) by showing you ads.

That part of the URL tracks from where the download was obtained and
attributes of the page where the download link was provided. See:

http://www.whois.com/whois/cbsi.com

to see who owns that domain. Download is rife with ads. You expecting
them not to harvest demographics on their ads or to assist a site with
analytics on their downloads? Also, if you scroll to the bottom of
Cnet's page, you'll see "© CBS Interactive Inc." and the quicklinks
panel at the bottom has "About CBS Interactive". The acquisition was
back in 2008 yet they still have a mix of domains in links at Cnet.
When you hover the mouse over the images on that page, most of them go
to cbsi.com.

....&destUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fdownload.cnet.com%2FAVG-AntiVirus-Free-2014%2F3001-2239_4-10320142.html%3FhasJs%3Dn%26hlndr%3D1%26part%3Ddl-avg_free_us&onid=2239&oid=3000-2239_4-10320142&rsid=cbsidownloadcomsite&sl=en&sc=us&pdguid=download%3A13799210&topicguid=security%2Fantivirus&topicbrcrm=windows%20software&pid=13799210&mfgid=10044820&merid=10044820&ctype=dm&cval=NONE&ltype=dl_dlnow&spi=08cd3e00b35171064cc5fdf08464c257&devicetype=desktop&pguid=5f847b1c60eb70aac748ca0b&viewguid=Oy-PHxla4jyhFbgOK54ugv1vry2duHwoQcKX

And therein lies the URL to CNet's actual download. The destURL (domain
and path) say where is the download while all the other attributes
provide CNet with their own stats on the download.

Yep, they have ads from Google, too, and Google can use Doubleclick to
gather stats on link clicks.

....&adurl=http://systemspeedup.systweak.com/?...mpaign=dcomnewspdr728&nm=3&nx=404&ny=-19&mb=2

So that link isn't for AVG but for some (probably bogus or hazardous)
tweaker utility that costs money for functions it provides that you can
find for free (i.e., create your own best-of-breed freeware to do the
same or more than some weak all-purpose tweaker).

It looks like you gave a link from the intro download page where you
click on a big green Download Now button. That takes you to another
page that should start the download. If it fails, you click on the
"restart the download link", not somewhere else, and especially not on
some ad.

You need to differentiate content, like download links, from ads. If
you go clicking on links, regardless of what they claim, who knows what
crap you'll end up getting pointed at.

I use TPLs (tracking protection lists) in IE. I use the EasyList,
EasyPrivacy, and Stop Google Tracking blocklists via TPL in IE. For
Firefox, you can use the Adblock Plus add-on. For example, me clicking
on the bogus Google Ad that says it is for AVG but actually points to
some ripoff tweaker tool gets blocked when I click on it. Doubleclick
in in the blocklists to which I subscribe. Or it could've simply been
and defunct link.

Mayayana

| Yep, they have ads from Google, too, and Google can use Doubleclick to
| gather stats on link clicks.

And for those who don't know, Google IS Doubleclick.
Doubleclick ads are so ubiquitous that the typical Doubleclick
URLs should be in everyone's HOSTS file. Doubleclick
is spyware ads, tracking the average person almost
everywhere they go, so that even someone who blocks
script and cookies can be tracked in most of their activites
by Google.

Surprisingly, Google makes little effort to vary or hide the
Doubleclick ad URLs, which is an indicator of just how
unusual it is for people to use their HOSTS file. A few
lines, or even one line -- 127.0.0.1 ads.doublick.net --
can remove probably more than half of all ads online,
along with the respective Google tracking. Adding a few
more lines can stop most Google spying:

127.0.0.1 pagead2.googlesyndication.com
127.0.0.1 imageads.googleadservices.com
127.0.0.1 www.google-analytics.com

Yet very few people bother or even know about the
HOSTS file.

VanguardLH

Mayayana said:
| Yep, they have ads from Google, too, and Google can use Doubleclick to
| gather stats on link clicks.

And for those who don't know, Google IS Doubleclick.
Doubleclick ads are so ubiquitous that the typical Doubleclick
URLs should be in everyone's HOSTS file. Doubleclick
is spyware ads, tracking the average person almost
everywhere they go, so that even someone who blocks
script and cookies can be tracked in most of their activites
by Google.

Surprisingly, Google makes little effort to vary or hide the
Doubleclick ad URLs, which is an indicator of just how
unusual it is for people to use their HOSTS file. A few
lines, or even one line -- 127.0.0.1 ads.doublick.net --
can remove probably more than half of all ads online,
along with the respective Google tracking. Adding a few
more lines can stop most Google spying:

127.0.0.1 pagead2.googlesyndication.com
127.0.0.1 imageads.googleadservices.com
127.0.0.1 www.google-analytics.com

Yet very few people bother or even know about the
HOSTS file.

The problem with a hosts file is that, well, it lists only *hosts*.
That's why, for example, the MVPs hosts file has over 50 host entries
just for the doubleclick domain. You cannot block on a domain, like
just on doubleclick.com. You cannot block on a string somewhere within
a URL, like *googleads*. There is no easy way to temporarily disable
the hosts file and then reenable it. Any server can detect that you did
not retrieve some of its content and then alter what content it delivers
to you. You may be extremely interested in some content and am willing
on a case-by-case basis to allow the ads to see the collateral content
that got blocked by blocking the ads. That's why I find TPLs in IE and
Adblock Plus in FF so much more convenient: easy to disable and enable.

The longer the host file, the longer it takes to search it. It's
entries do not get cached in the DNS cache service (assuming you left it
running). Search are linear from top to bottom of the list. The hosts
file is search on *every* lookup and there can be hundreds of links
within just one page. The problems aren't exhibited in short hosts
files compiled by each user but they are evidenced when using a
pre-compiled hosts file that has 16 thousand entries, or more. After
all, it has to list EVERY [known] host at a domain instead of just the
domain.

Even before I used TPLs in IE (EasyList, EasyPrivacy, and StopGoogle),
just 50 entries in my own compiled blacklist eliminated tons of ads,
especially those very nuisancesome Intellitext popups when you happen to
move the mouse cursor over a hotspot in the web page. No, I didn't use
the hosts file since it would be a hell of a lot longer in having to
lists every host I discovered Google/DoubleClick/etc was using. I use
Avast Free which has a site block feature. I can list just domains to,
say, block Doubleclick, than a slew of hosts at their domains. I can
filter on subtrings within URLs.

With TPLs, I can simply click on the blue hazard symbol in the toolbar
row in IE to enable or disable those blocklists (and AX support, too).
Click it's off. Click it's on. With Avast's site blocker feature,
there is a bit more navigation to get at the option to disable or enable
it but I've rarely had to do that except at a few sites where I found
that I had to tweak my filters, or when I want to add a new filter.

The hosts file is an antiquated and clumsy trick to block hosts. By the
way, you'll get a quicker rejection by using 127.0.0.0 than 127.0.0.1
plus you can still run your own web server without trying to connect to
it for all those host lookups listed in the hosts file.

mynews.ath.cx

Mayayana said:
| Yep, they have ads from Google, too, and Google can use Doubleclick to
| gather stats on link clicks.

And for those who don't know, Google IS Doubleclick.
Doubleclick ads are so ubiquitous that the typical Doubleclick
URLs should be in everyone's HOSTS file. Doubleclick
is spyware ads, tracking the average person almost
everywhere they go, so that even someone who blocks
script and cookies can be tracked in most of their activites
by Google.

Google pay to have Check Mark click on
< http://store.mynews.ath.cx/users/Avist/Avist005.jpg >

That why Google Chrome the number one Down Load Browser

The funny thing is a Toolbar for internet Explorer 5,6,7 and 8 for XP
why?

Mayayana

I've always found a HOSTS file works pretty well. I would
never use IE online, so I have no opinion about your "TPLs",
though it sounds similar to a HOSTS file. Probably some kind
of mime filter.

As I noted before, Google doesn't make much attempt
to foil HOSTS entries. Most Doubleclick ads are something
like ads.doubleclick.net. Likewise with Google Analytics.
They don't use server1.google-analytics.com,
server2.google-analytics.com, etc. So a HOSTS file can
stop a great deal without many entries.

Personally I use 3rd-party file blocking in Pale Moon
and only allow *any* 3rd-party content when I need to,
using Firefox for that. I also use Acrylic DNS server,
which allows for wildcards. So I only need *.doubleclick.com
and *.doubleclick.net.

There are various approaches. Yours may work well
for anyone who doesn't mind using IE. But even a fairly
simple HOSTS file can block the vast majority of online
ads and tracking because they're coming from such a
small number of sources. There's nothing "clumsy"
about that.

mynews.ath.cx

Mayayana said:
| Google pay to have Check Mark click on
| < http://store.mynews.ath.cx/users/Avist/Avist005.jpg >
| That why Google Chrome the number one Down Load Browser
| The funny thing is a Toolbar for internet Explorer 5,6,7 and 8 for XP
| why?

I'm sorry but I don't understand what you're saying.

Maybe So looking at
You said:

I've always found a HOSTS file works pretty well.
I would never use IE online, <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<,
so I have no opinion about your
"TPLs"

So Mayayana you maybe one of the them
That have install Google Toolbar on internet Explorer
With out knowing it...........

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Mayayana said:
| Google pay to have Check Mark click on
| < http://store.mynews.ath.cx/users/Avist/Avist005.jpg >
|
| That why Google Chrome the number one Down Load Browser
|
| The funny thing is a Toolbar for internet Explorer 5,6,7 and 8 for XP
| why?

I'm sorry but I don't understand what you're saying.
Have you not met hot-text before? English is definitely not his first
language, and often his posts have me really scratching my head to work
out what he's on about! (Or I skip them.) But I haven't killfiled him,
as (a) he genuinely is often trying to help, and (b) sometimes he does
actually come up with some useful (to me anyway) information, once I've
managed to parse a post!

micky

[...]

Thaank you all for some very interesting answers. It's going to take a
while to digest it all, for the sake my computer and them my friend's
(who even though she gets free help, doesn't sufficiently appreciate
when it goes well, and is even worse when it doesn't. I'm not going to
tell her about this. )

Over the past 5 or 10 years, I've dl'd AVG half a dozen times but this
was the first time it sent me somewhere else. Next time, with any dl,
I'll take a step back and look for a better dl page. (I was like those
guys who are cheated out of money and say "I was suspicious, but I did
it anyhow.")

And iirc, I've used CNET in the past too, without paying a price. I
knew the generous days of the 90's and 00's. with lots of free download
pages, could not last forever, and I've skipped other dl pages which
seemed to want to install other software, but I guess I was weak on
Monday.

I might have been better off emailing her my AVG exe file, which came
straight from AVG. Didn't think of that until just now.

When I have time, I'm going to compare the files that Paul listed with
my installation and see if I have them too.

mynews.ath.cx

This is why Google Chrome
Is the number one
Down Load Browser

Because Google pay
Software Company to add
Chrome to there Software push list

Funny thing is a Google Toolbar for internet Explorer
Kill internet Explorer
So you will go Chrome

I bet you can not put Bing Toolbar on Chrome
or can you?
But I do not have Chrome too
So how would I know
Have you not met hot-text before? English is definitely not his first
language, and often his posts have me really scratching my head to work
out what he's on about! (Or I skip them.) But I haven't killfiled him, as
(a) he genuinely is often trying to help, and (b) sometimes he does
actually come up with some useful (to me anyway) information, once I've
managed to parse a post!

J. P.
I know Mayayana
Information useful to us here
And I believe he started a good Subject too

This is News
"(e-mail address removed)"
Ez-missing The hot-text

Mayayana

| This is why Google Chrome
| Is the number one
| Down Load Browser
|
| Because Google pay
| Software Company to add
| Chrome to there Software push list
| < http://store.mynews.ath.cx/users/Avist/ >

Ah. I think I finally get what you're saying. But you
don't have to worry about me. I don't use Chrome and
wouldn't touch anything from Google. I even try to avoid
their search these days. I don't use AV. And I'm running IE6,
which I mostly just use for writing HTAs and testing webpage
design. (IE "quirks mode" webpage rendering is designed to
mimic IE6 rendering, so I can just leave out the DOCTYPE
tag in webpages, test in IE6, and know that I've covered all
versions of IE.) Even the Googlites have a little pride. I don't
think they'd put their toolbar on IE6. :)

It's an interesting issue, though. I hadn't noticed that
Chrome was being pushed in 3rd-party venues. I do know
that Firefox makes nearly all of their $100 million+ per year
from Google, in exchange for adding the Google search box.
So Mozilla has pretty much been bought out by Google. (And
it shows.) It's a shame. I can remember when Google was an
endearing, idealistic company that was making a fortune by
simply providing good, honest search with relevant, contextual
ads - targeted ads without spying. They got rich by *not*
being exploitive. But billions of dollars just wasn't enough for
them.

mynews.ath.cx

Mayayana said:
| This is why Google Chrome
| Is the number one
| Down Load Browser
|
| Because Google pay
| Software Company to add
| Chrome to there Software push list
| < http://store.mynews.ath.cx/users/Avist/ >

Ah. I think I finally get what you're saying. But you
don't have to worry about me. I don't use Chrome and
wouldn't touch anything from Google. I even try to avoid
their search these days. I don't use AV. And I'm running IE6,
which I mostly just use for writing HTAs and testing webpage
design. (IE "quirks mode" webpage rendering is designed to
mimic IE6 rendering, so I can just leave out the DOCTYPE
tag in webpages, test in IE6, and know that I've covered all
versions of IE.) Even the Googlites have a little pride. I don't
think they'd put their toolbar on IE6. :)

That maybe 100% right now days

As a webmaster you know
There is no pride with
The crawl-*-*-*-*. googlebot.com

I always gave Google-bot a
Response Code of
403 Forbidden (Blocked IP}
And they love it
and always come back of more
It's an interesting issue, though. I hadn't noticed that
Chrome was being pushed in 3rd-party venues. I do know
that Firefox makes nearly all of their $100 million+ per year
from Google, in exchange for adding the Google search box.
So Mozilla has pretty much been bought out by Google. (And
it shows.) It's a shame. I can remember when Google was an
endearing, idealistic company that was making a fortune by
simply providing good, honest search with relevant, contextual
ads - targeted ads without spying. They got rich by *not*
being exploitive. But billions of dollars just wasn't enough for
them.

They all work NYSE
Stands for the New York
Shame Exchange.
And get rich on a
Google Internet Dreams

VanguardLH

Mayayana said:
[...]

I'm not sure where you acquire your statistics that the number of
sources for ads and tracking services is small. The number of CDNs
(content delivery networks) alone is rather large not only in the number
of such providers but in the number of the hosts they each use. The
pre-compiled MVPs hosts file does seem severely oversized at 16+
thousand entries but that's because they're throwing in all the "bad"
hosts into that file, not just those you will happen to visit directly
or indirectly via linked-in content.

What is clumsy is the inability to disable and reenable the use of the
hosts file. If a page isn't painting correctly, and you want its
content, then you need to start disabling stuff, including the hosts
file, to see what might be affecting that page. If you find, as BillW50
pointing out in another thread, users may have to figure out what entry
is causing the problem and comment it out. They may want to add entries
that aren't in the pre-compiled list to add their own. However, when
next they update to a new version of the pre-compiled hosts file then
they lose all their commented out entries (so the web pages won't work
again) and their added entries. As you mention, there are ways to
maintain a personalized blacklist outside the hosts file but then why do
you need the hosts file? As for the commented out entries, the user has
to go searching the existing hosts file to extract or save those entries
so they can inject them into the new version of the hosts file. Clumsy.

A lot of folks don't realize that a site's own content may be off-site
at another domain that the hosts file is blocking. They have some of
their CSS files or scripts over there. When blocked, the vars expected
in the web page aren't defined so the page misbehaves. For example,
what would happen if Google's jquery code project got blocked. Some
sites use their own local copy of jquery but some get Google's copy. A
lot of sites would fail. It is unlikely that someone would be so stupid
as to block jquery yet you get the idea of blocking 3rd party content
which really isn't 3rd party to the site you visit so you've blocked
some of their CSS, scripts, or content. Lots of sites use CDNs to host
their own content so blocking a CDN because you don't want to see 3rd
party ads at one site means you've blocked 2nd party content that
belongs to the site you chose to visit.

The notion that blocking 3rd party content is going to protect you from
getting tracked is antiquated. The site you visit can generate a
"fingerprint" or demographics that the advertisers want. So the site
you chose to visit is providing the information you think blocking the
3rd party content would save you from divulging. You can block the ads
but blocking the analytics means the site may not behave. Some users
know about cookies used for tracking but the vast majority of users
don't know about disabling the DOM storage intrinsic to their web
browser which allows any site to track you from visit to visit. So much
for the hosts file avoiding someone tracking your site visit history.

There are sites whose nameserver will return the same PTR record no
matter what hostname is requested for a DNS lookup. That is, any
hostname you use will resolve to an IP address at that domain. There
isn't enough disk space in the entire world for a hosts file that could
contain every possible hostname plus the time to serially search the
hosts file on every DNS lookup would render the web unusable to such a
user of that humungus hosts file. As you mentioned, using something
more intelligent than a hosts file lets you wildcard on either a domain
or perhaps even a URL substring to be a more effective tools for
blocking unwanted content. I had a blacklist of about 200 entries that
made my web experience as good as when trialing the 16K MVPS hosts file.

While it sounds appropriate to block, say, *.doubleclick.com* and
*.doubleclick.net* to get rid of some ads and tracking, and as an
example of that blocking can screw up a web page, at one time some
Microsoft downloads were through Doubleclick links. Microsoft was
utilizing the analytics, like demographics, for determining who was
downloading their stuff, from where and when, and other stats. They
used it presumably to tweak their own service. So if you blocked
Doubleclick then you couldn't get the downloads from Microsoft (unless
they were stupid enough to use URL parameters to specify the target file
which meant you could decode the destination URL to get the file).

Note that I was not attempting to block every ad that showed up in every
web page that I happen to visit. That's a self-defeating effort plus,
for the reasons already named, more and more sites are using the CDNs
for their own content that you are blocking for 3rd party content shown
at other sites. I only need to block ad sources whose content is
disruptive either to using a site's web page or even disrupts that
site's content (i.e., popping up content outside the area the web page
allocated to the 3rd party content). An example is a site that uses
Intellitext (pseudo-popups that appear when the mouse cursor slides over
a hotspot on a web page). That script is in the very web page you chose
to visit, not somewhere else to block. The script may choose to show
on- or off-domain content. You can block the off-domain content which
typically disables the popup balloon from showing up. If it selects
on-domain content then you can't block it because that would also block
you visiting the site you chose to visit. I feel those trying to block
all ads (3rd party content) at the sites they chose to visit are over
sensitive. They don't like the Mona Lisa so they're going to spray
paint the parts they don't want to see. They're modifying someone
else's property. A lot of that sensitivity would wane if the behavior
of the ads were controlled. Ads that flash between differing contrast
layouts to grab your attention, use animation or sound, or extend
outside the area the parent web site had allocated to them are the ones
that should get targeted.

If ad blocking were really an effective means of quarantining all the
advertising and tracking content, there is really one very simple means
for any web site to ensure you WILL see all that 3rd party content
(whether text, images, CSS, or scripts): make it on-domain (2nd party)
content. Instead of delivering the content through linkage to some
other domain, having that content delivered through the same domain as
the web page you visit. If you block that unwanted content then you
also block the entire source for the page you wanted to visit. You
don't get to go there anymore. Sites don't do this yet because they
would have to handle all the bandwidth and allocate the resources (e.g.,
disk space) for that content. They could use streaming to eliminate the
disk resource but that still incurs more bandwidth between them and you
as the content comes from them instead of from the off-domain source.
Some sites are actually hosted at the CDNs so the overall bandwidth to
the CDN doesn't change for all content delivered through a site. So all
content comes from the "site", including ads, analytics, etc which means
you can't block any of it. There must be some financial hurdle or
perhaps lack of experience of knowledge that keeps sites from adopting
the "flat" model where all content, including ads, is delivered from
their own domain. Maybe sites just aren't yet losing enough revenue
from ad blockers.

As for tracking, a hosts file or any other means to block off-domain
content totally disregards and is ignorant of how the site you visit can
fingerprint you to report that info to their advertisers. You don't
trust the 3rd party content in tracking you but you trust the site you
visit that uses or allows that tracking 3rd party content? That's like
saying you have an anti-virus program that only detects and blocks
viruses that are years old but not the newer ones. Yes, a hosts file
and other blocking schemes has some effect on the old methods of pushing
ads at you and where they or they let someone else track you.

Mayayana

| I'm not sure where you acquire your statistics that the number of
| sources for ads and tracking services is small.

It's not statistics. It's my own experience. I occasionally
run my own script to retrieve URLs from webpages. I don't
come across many that are not already in my HOSTS file.
As I said, I find that even just having a few entries, like
Doubleclick, will block the majority of ads. Most sites don't
operate their own ad selling. They just sign up with Google/
Doubleclick.
I may be a bit unusual. I don't shop at Amazon or bank online
or visit big interactive sites like Hulu, ESPN, Facebook, Twitter...
I don't stream movies or TV. Most of the sites I visit are cleaner
than those highly commercial sites.

| As you mention, there are ways to
| maintain a personalized blacklist outside the hosts file but then why do
| you need the hosts file?

I don't know what you're talking about there.
I only use a HOSTS file.

| For example,
| what would happen if Google's jquery code project got blocked.

Good riddance. I rarely enable script and don't want
1/4 MB of jquery crap loading with every page. There are
an increasing number of webpages that are not actually
webpages at all but rather are complex javascript programs,
often with obfuscated code. I simply don't visit those sites.
If people can't make a site that works without script then
in the vast majority of cases I don't need them. In the rare
cases where I really have to enable script, I fire up Firefox.
I've got FF pre-configured to be generally functional, allowing
cookies, script, 3rd-party images, IFRAMES, etc. I have Pale
Moon set to block all those things. 99% of the time I use PM.

| It is unlikely that someone would be so stupid
| as to block jquery......

| I feel those trying to block
| all ads (3rd party content) at the sites they chose to visit are over
| sensitive. They don't like the Mona Lisa so they're going to spray
| paint the parts they don't want to see. They're modifying someone
| else's property.

Wow, you sure do have a lot of strong opinions on this subject.
Everyone who doesn't do it exactly your way is stupid, exploitive,
or both. I'm grateful that you're not policing the Internet.

To my mind it's a very creative leap of logic to say that I'm
defacing someone else's property by not allowing them to send me
-- often clandestinely -- to another domain I never chose to visit!
The dishonesty is on their part.
Further, they put their site out there to be freely accessed. I
didn't break in.
I have a blind friend who has all images disabled, for obvious reasons.
Should he be required to listen to audio ads before accessing a website,
or should he just be banned from the Internet because he's not loading
pages as they may have been intended to be loaded?

I rarely enable script. I block 3rd-party content. I'm not
blocking any honest ads that are actually on the websites I
visit. I don't filter ads. I filter 3rd-party content. Some sites,
it's true, don't look so good because they have integral images or
CSS coming from other domains. But in general I find the sites I
visit work fine, don't need script, and don't jump around or pop
up windows. Without script it's a lot more civilized. It's also a
lot safer. With script you're a sitting duck in two ways: 1) It's
nearly impossible to go online safely. 2) Allowing script allows
websites to impose all sorts of dynamic activity that is often
at odds with the site's functionality. (For instance, Netflix
is a beautifully done site that uses script to make the site work
well. But many sites are just using script to run cartoons,
change the content periodically, animate ads, run videos, or
do various other things that actually make the webpage itself
unreadable.)

As for other limitations with a HOSTS file, like needing to
dynamically change it, I just don't find that. I don't disable
it or comment out domains because I simply don't need to.
I haven't had the experience of needing to allow content from
somewhere I've blocked.

So... as long as you don't own the Internet, I think I'll continue
to use a HOSTS file. Hopefully you won't lose too much sleep
over it. :)

VanguardLH

Mayayana said:
I only use a HOSTS file.

Whose hosts file? Your own compilation that you maintain (build,
verify, add, delete)? Or a pre-compiled hosts file, like the MVPs one?
Good riddance. I rarely enable script and don't want
1/4 MB of jquery crap loading with every page. There are
an increasing number of webpages that are not actually
webpages at all but rather are complex javascript programs,
often with obfuscated code.

They're called dynamic web pages (instead of static content). The page
modifies it content based on the visitor. It also helps to protect
THEIR property from thieves that want to steal (copy) it. It's not an
ideal lock but neither is the one on your car.
If people can't make a site that works without script then
in the vast majority of cases I don't need them.

A chisel, hammer, and stone still work, too, to write and communicate.
Gladly we've evolved a long ways beyond that. I know layman that feel
like you do that they don't need all the fluff available today. I grew
up with computers and have worked on or with them ever since, so even
being old fuddy duddy doesn't mean I've become staid but instead have
become accustomed to constant change.

Would you still want to be using that old wringer-washer your grandma
used when she was young or that automatic cycled laundry machine you now
have? The old one was very simple to use: just an on-off switch and a
hand-operated wringer. The new ones can be daunting to figure out what
to select for all the options: hose temperature mix or sensor-measured
temperature, 2nd rinse cycle or not, varying agitator speeds, etc. The
old one was simple but would you want to be using it?

Why are you using one of the latest web browsers instead Lynx?
In the rare
cases where I really have to enable script, I fire up Firefox.
I've got FF pre-configured to be generally functional, allowing
cookies, script, 3rd-party images, IFRAMES, etc. I have Pale
Moon set to block all those things. 99% of the time I use PM.

Did you also disable DOM storage in Pale Moon? All the major web
browsers have supported DOM storage for quite a while now, like Internet
Explorer, Chromium, and Firefox. Since Pale Moon is a variant of
Firefox then it probably supports DOM storage (far superior for a site
to store their info on your host than using the limited size of
cookies).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOM_storage

In IE, it's an easy advanced setting that can be enabled or disabled.
In Firefox, and probably the variants, like Pale Moon, you have to delve
into the config editor to set dom.storage.enabled = FALSE.

Do you also somehow rotate or modify your web browser's User Agent
string, change identification of your OS and web browser version, your
IP address each time you connect to a site (and have the new one in a
different geographic locale), block the Referer string, somehow modify
the window title (an object attribute) of the doc frame for the web page
display area in the web browser to prevent it being used as a substitute
for Referer, and so on and on so that a site cannot establish a
"fingerprint" of you to either reuse later or provide as demographics to
their advertisers? Disabling Javascript eliminates the attributes that
venue grants in adding to your fingerprint but not eliminate the use of
a fingerprint, especially across a history of visits. You might want to
visit the Panoptclick site to check on how anonymous you think you are.

https://panopticlick.eff.org/

My IE11 as it is configured (without DOM storage) still provides 22 bits
of identification of my Internet identity. Even with DOM storage
enabled, my score is still only 22 yet DOM storage means a site can
always identity you specifically when you revisit them. They don't need
any other tricks to identify you upon your return. DOM storage is like
the nuclear bomb. The only reason why it your web browser hasn't become
radioactive is not many sites have yet started using DOM storage
although it's been available for quite awhile. IE had it first and
Mozilla followed. It was supposed to, for example, allow a site to know
your account details upon your return, a order that's still in progress
(i.e., you left without cancelling or completing your order), show you
the ebook you were last reading at the page you left at, and so on. It
was to provide convenience but, of course, it has its dark uses, too.

What's your score? I don't play with the User Agent string to conceal
my web browser, its version, and OS. Too often I've found sites that
will malfunction because their table of UAs don't have the one that I
picked or customized. They don't know which version of [a portion of]
their web page to present to me when they can't tell which web browser
I'm using to connect to them. I have a shortcut to load IE with
scripting disable, meta-refresh disabled, all add-ons disabled, and uses
Private Browsing mode. When I use that throttled instance of IE at
Panoptclick, my score goes down to 19.02 bits in my fingerprint. The
more bits, the more unique is the fingerprint identification. Of
course, you and I are discussing topics that the vast majority of users
don't know about or ever heard about. Cookies is about all they know
might be a privacy issue.

Since you disable Javascript (but obviously have the option to enable it
on that web page that you just have to see or use), presumably you also
have nothing in Pale Moon to support Flash. If you do support Flash,
have you configured it so sites can't store anything on your host using
the .sol cookies? Some sites simply won't function without storing some
of their variables on your host when Flash is used. You could allow
Flash to store some cookies but then follow a web session with a cleanup
utility, like CCleaner, that gets rid of the .sol cookies (except, of
course, the one used to store your configuration of the Flash player).
I've hit some sites where almost their entire content is Flash. Of
course, that would be one of those sites you claim that you would never
visit again (since you'd have to visit the site at least once to know it
was a site you won't revisit, and the same for knowing which sites not
to visit that are heavy into AJAX to provide dynamic web pages).

There is a lot of shit that can be used to identify you (whether it is
your or an recurrent "Internet identity"). It can be quite a waste of
time to eliminate all possible methods for some perceived violation of
your privacy for your choices of where to visit.
| It is unlikely that someone would be so stupid
| as to block jquery......

| I feel those trying to block
| all ads (3rd party content) at the sites they chose to visit are over
| sensitive. They don't like the Mona Lisa so they're going to spray
| paint the parts they don't want to see. They're modifying someone
| else's property.

Wow, you sure do have a lot of strong opinions on this subject.
Everyone who doesn't do it exactly your way is stupid, exploitive,
or both. I'm grateful that you're not policing the Internet.

I've seen users get irate because, gee, they got 1 spam per week rather
than they share of the 50 billion that are sent every week. There are
folks that want to eliminate every ad or 3rd party content that shows in
any web page that any user has ever visited despite it is not their
property. Just like you said as your resolution, don't go there.
However, even you realize that for the general users that "don't go
there" really isn't a viable solution.

If I were policing the Internet, I'd first force every advertiser to be
polite in their content. No flashing or animation, sound, or other
deliberate method to distract a visitor, no expanding content outside of
the region the web site allocated for their content. If ads had
remained unobtrusive then users wouldn't have complained about their bad
behavior and we wouldn't be trying to make polite a site that is not.

https://adblockplus.org/en/acceptable-ads#criteria

Rather than trying to "vote" on what are good versus bad ads, and
because I is da poleece, I'd make them obey those rules ... as a start.

For now, you and I and many others like us are Buzz Lightyear aiming our
LED "laser" thinking we're doing any damage to the trackers. We take
satisfaction that we can somewhat modify what we see but sometimes, and
sometimes too often, cause misbehavior due to that modification, like
playing Jenga with a web site: what can I pull out before it falls.
[...]

Tis why I have shortcuts that disable features in the web browser before
I visit an unknown and untrusted web site. Yes, I still use Internet
Explorer because it is secure (you must be thinking how it was back
pre-IE7). I have shortcuts for:

- Unfettered use (all features enabled except those specifically
configured to be disabled, like DOM storage).
- InPrivate Mode.
- InPrivate Mode + No Add-ons Mode
- InPrivate Mode + No Scripting + No Meta-Refresh
- InPrivate Mode + No Add-ons Mode + No Scripting + No Meta-Refresh

I'll admit that the NoScript add-on for Firefox lets me default that web
browser from allow scripts and Flash but I would have to whitelist every
site in my Favorites (about 250 of them). Like a firewall with HIPS,
I'd be manually configuring for awhile until the protection became
quiescent. The problem with Firefox that as soon as I install it then I
find at least 6 add-ons are required before I get back the features lost
in Firefox that are in IE. Each add-on consumes more space (I think the
minimum is like 6KB just for the presence of an add-on) and each gets
replicated in each shell so Firefox can eat up quite a bit of memory.
Plus add-ons, like Adblock Plus, will signifcantly slow the load of FF:
the size of the subscription (blacklist) and the number of subscriptions
affect load time because all those entries get loaded into memory
(another reason for bloat in FF's memory footprint). I've noticed no
increased memory footprint or slowness in loading IE by using TPLs
(which use the same blacklists to which I subscribed in Adblock Plus for
FF). Scripting is faster in FF (although the benchmarks showing the web
browser bouncing around) but then you wouldn't care because you disable
scripting. If I hit a site that is so script intensive, like massive
looping, then I add it to the Restricted Sites security zone (a concept
not available in FF or Chrome) to kill scripting at that site assuming I
even want to go back there.

In fact, there are security settings in IE that have been around for 12
years before Mozilla got off their ass to add them, like letting users
decide if mixed content is allowed in a web page that was supposed to be
delivered via HTTPS. A page is secure or it is not secure, not
somewhere between. Google still doesn't provide the option. I can
disable meta-refresh to eliminate the use of interstitial pages which
can be abused to show ad pages before you get to the intended
destination page. I think Firefox has that, too, but neither IE or
Firefox tell you to where the redirection goes for the user to know if
they want to allow it or not. Back for IE6/7, there was the IE7Pro
add-on to IE that would let me know to where the redirection went and
let me kill the redirection or allow it. I knew where it went so I
could decide. Alas, it got abandoned it and I really miss it. It was
just as usable, if not more, than NoScript for FF and long before
NoScript even showed up. Google's Chrome won't let you disable
meta-refresh.
As for other limitations with a HOSTS file, like needing to
dynamically change it, I just don't find that. I don't disable
it or comment out domains because I simply don't need to.

But others do. I wasn't commenting on the use of a hosts file for one
person's criteria. BillW50 already expressed a need to modify the hosts
file that I've seen many times before. The pre-compiled list doesn't
exactly fit his needs at the sites he revisits. He and others have to
comment out entries to get the wanted sites to render or behave
correctly. I'm pointing out some of the deficiencies of using a hosts
file. You get buy without editing it. Others cannot. If they get a
new version of the pre-compiled list or use a hosts file updater tool
then they lose all their edits and those pages fail again.

By the way, what do you use to eliminate advertizing content from web
pages where filtering on a host doesn't work? You cannot specify a
domain to block. You cannot specify a substring in a URL to block ads
delivering on-domain at the site you visit. I believe you mentioned
using an external but local proxy (Acrylic DNS) where you could do some
more filtering. Does that let you filter on URL substrings or only on
domains (since DNS only returns IP address for hosts or domains and not
on URL substrings)? I would be interested in trialing Acrylic but only
if it let me filter on more than just FQDNs. I'm not sure a program
designed to be a local DNS cache (is it better thant the DNS Client
service already in Windows?) would have a URL filter feature. I usually
only find that in some firewalls and a few anti-virus programs.

I know you're going to deny visiting there because of their use of
scripts and Flash, but say you visited YouTube. Filtering out on the
URL substrings of "*/iv3_module*" and "*/annotations_invideo*" get rid
of those annoying annotation popups that show during playback of the
video. Can you do that with Acrylic DNS?

If I only wanted to filter out on hosts or entire domains, I could use
OpenDNS which has their wildcarded blacklist (but only works on the
domain portion of a URL and nothing in the path or attributes sections).
It was very handy. Alas, the free account only permits up to 50 entries
yet I could get a lot of impolite ad crap removed using that. Like you,
I could blacklist *.doubleclick.com and *.doubleclick.net (I'm not sure
I'd try *.doubleclick.*). Also like you, I'd have to install some
software to facilitate that DNS approach to filtering out unwanted
content: their DNS updater client. This reports my current dynamically
assigned IP address from my ISP to my OpenDNS account so it know what
rules from which account to apply to DNS queries coming from me. The
only reason I stopped using OpenDNS is their use of a "helper" page. On
a failed DNS lookup, they didn't return a fail status but instead
returned a success status because they delivered their helper page. My
family liked it because incorrect URLs resulted in giving them an
automatic search. I didn't care to get a helper page using redirection
links to record my web nagivation; i.e., OpenDNS became themself a
tracker. I also didn't like their attitude that they would punish you
by disabling many handy features if you disabled their helper page. So
I could do with OpenDNS what you do with Acrylic DNS; however, OpenDNS
has the nice feature that you can select categories of sites to block
(although stay away from their Academic category and way too many sites
get miscategorized to there). In my long unused account where I had a
custom select of categories, the Web Spam, Typo Squatter, and Parked
Domains categories are selected. Also, you can report sites to them;
for example, when you find a cybersquatter then you can report that site
to OpenDNS to add to their Parked DOmains category. Now that I
discussed it again, I might go back to using OpenDNS and endure their
helper page on what should've been failed DNS lookups. I just checked
and it looks like OpenDNS took away the option to disable their helper
page so all their customers get it on DNS failures.
I haven't had the experience of needing to allow content from
somewhere I've blocked.

Consider yourself lucky that the web pages you do visit all function
properly with scripting disabled and with off-domain blocked. Or you
simply didn't realize this blocking was the result of some abnormal
operation at the site you visited. When employing all this blocking,
blacklisting, content modification, DNS and URL filtering, web browser
feature disabling, anti-virus, firewall, and everything else used to
modify the web experience or to enhance security or privacy, it can be
sometimes very difficult to know where to begin to resolve the issue.
So... as long as you don't own the Internet, I think I'll continue
to use a HOSTS file. Hopefully you won't lose too much sleep
over it. :)

If you're using a hosts file or blacklists in proxies or web browser
add-ons to eliminate the noise in web pages then those methods are
successful. However, often users cite a hosts file or blacklist as also
a privacy measure to prevent tracking your web navigation and that's
just naive or logic stuck back to how tracking was done a decade ago.
Hiding or obfuscating your "Internet identity" requires a hell of a lot
more work than just sliding in a hosts file or using blacklists.

I only suggest using using a hosts file but usually recommend something
more robust merely to neaten up the web pages. Get rid of those
multiple "download" links where only one of them is the program you
wanted to download. Get rid of Intellitext popups that obliterate the
text you were just trying to read. Eliminate ads that startle you with
sound, flashing banners, or extend outside the region the web site
intended for their display. For that, whatever method you like to
reduce that noise is okay. You're reacting to rudeness. It's just that
some methods let you more easily toggle between blocked and unblocked
state. As for avoiding getting tracked, those blacklists are as
[im]potent as a "Do Not Disturb" sign hanging from a door knob. How to
track you has long gone beyond just blocking some off-domain content.

Mayayana

| > I only use a HOSTS file.
|
| Whose hosts file? Your own compilation that you maintain (build,
| verify, add, delete)? Or a pre-compiled hosts file, like the MVPs one?

It's not anyone's HOSTS file. It's just a HOSTS file.
Plain text. It's potentially misleading to call it compiled.
As I explained earlier, I have the basic problem URLs
in my HOSTS file and I add others occasionally by
using a Desktop script that parse webpages. It's all
in the download I linked.

| > If people can't make a site that works without script then
| > in the vast majority of cases I don't need them.
|
| Would you still want to be using that old wringer-washer your grandma
| used when she was young or that automatic cycled laundry machine you now
| have?

Your conflating ideas of progress and improvement
with heavy use of javascript. There's no logic in
that. It's an emotional reaction.

| Since you disable Javascript (but obviously have the option to enable it
| on that web page that you just have to see or use), presumably you also
| have nothing in Pale Moon to support Flash.

You're such a card. :) I've never had Flash installed.
I don't need to see dancing car ads, and I certainly don't
need the extra malware attacks.

| >| I feel those trying to block
| >| all ads (3rd party content) at the sites they chose to visit are over
| >| sensitive. They don't like the Mona Lisa so they're going to spray
| >| paint the parts they don't want to see. They're modifying someone
| >| else's property.
| >
| > Wow, you sure do have a lot of strong opinions on this subject.
| > Everyone who doesn't do it exactly your way is stupid, exploitive,
| > or both. I'm grateful that you're not policing the Internet.
|
| I've seen users get irate because, gee, they got 1 spam per week rather
| than they share of the 50 billion that are sent every week.

Again you're voicing a reactive, emotional response,
equating 3rd-party ad blocking with crazed phobia. I
know people who wash their hands with those trendy
alcohol products because they're obsessed with germs.
But it doesn't follow that washing my kitchen floor is
therefore a paranoid act. You're simply not being
intellectually honest.

| I'll admit that the NoScript add-on for Firefox lets me default that web
| browser from allow scripts and Flash but I would have to whitelist every
| site in my Favorites (about 250 of them).

You and I clearly have different habits. I'm not
sure I've visited 250 domains in the past few years.
Most of the sites I visit don't need script. My typical
rounds take me to some combination of register.co.uk,
slashdot, arstechnica, Washington Post, techmeme,
bbc news, alternet, atlantic monthly, wired, NPR news,
itworld.... None of them needs javascript or cookies.
Sometimes I search for info or programming code. Those
rarely require script. The sites that I find do need script
are mostly shopping sites, but I generally don't shop
online. I forego being able to check the Staples weekly
flier for the sake of security. It works for me.
| By the way, what do you use to eliminate advertizing content from web
| pages where filtering on a host doesn't work? You cannot specify a
| domain to block. You cannot specify a substring in a URL to block ads
| delivering on-domain at the site you visit.

I already said, I don't block honest ads that are on
a website. I'm not an anti-ad maniac. I only block
3rd-party content. With the exception of some images
and CSS on poorly designed websites, that simply
means that I block corporate spyware ads and web
bug tracking. As it turns out, though, very few ads
are actually on the websites where they appear. People
can make more money, more easily, by letting Google/
Doubleclick spy on their visitors and then show targetted

| I believe you mentioned
| using an external but local proxy (Acrylic DNS) where you could do some
| more filtering. Does that let you filter on URL substrings or only on
| domains

It allows wildcards to ignore subdomains. As
far as I know it doesn't filter substrings, but I've
never tried that. I can't think of a case where
I'd want to block someplace.com/dest1 but not
block someplace.com/dest2. I'm only blocking
known tracking/spying/3rd-party ad companies.

| I know you're going to deny visiting there because of their use of
| scripts and Flash, but say you visited YouTube. Filtering out on the
| URL substrings of "*/iv3_module*" and "*/annotations_invideo*" get rid
| of those annoying annotation popups that show during playback of the
| video. Can you do that with Acrylic DNS?

You don't need script and Flash at Youtube, silly. :)
I don't watch anything I have to stream. When I go
to Youtube I use DownloadHelper to download the
video. I see no ads or popups. Nor do I see any
video running that I didn't choose to play.

Ironically, one of the worst sites for script has
become Google itself. I mostly use duckduckgo these
days, but when I have used Google I've noticed that
they've partially broken functionality for people
who disable script.

| Hiding or obfuscating your "Internet identity" requires a hell of a lot
| more work than just sliding in a hosts file or using blacklists.

I'd go along with that. Privacy is a constant project
online. And unless one uses something like Tor there's
always the IP address as an ID. I just do what I can, and
try to share with others who don't want to or can't do
the legwork. Your discussion of "supercookie" DOM
storage and Flash storage, for instance. Most people
will never know about such things, but they can still at
least stop Google and Facebook from logging every
website they visit, without too much work. That's
better than nothing.

Top