Theme Changed After FP2003 Upgrade??

Outdoor Us

I upgraded from FP-XP to FP2003 and (at least) two
elements in my "Expedition" theme changed:

1) Page Banner became one size smaller (24 -> 18pts)

2) Horizontal Line went from a styled design to a plain,
straight bar

I also noticed another theme (Romanesque) had the SAME
problems.

Any ideas what this could be related to? How can I
restore the original elements? If I want to change
anything, I need to save as a NEW theme because the
default ones are marked "Read Only"??

Thx in advance.

Thomas A. Rowe

Each version of FP has always had some minor changes in various themes, so
when you open the web with a previous version of a theme that has changed,
the new changes will be applied to your current theme. The only way that
this would not happen is if you had chosen to modify the theme and saved it
under a new name.

To have the original element you need to open the web in the original
version it was created in, modify the theme and save under a new name, then
when you open in FP2003 it should retain the original elements.

All themes are read-only.

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, Forums, WebCircle,
MS KB Quick Links, etc.

Outdoor Us

I figured out what this "minor" change was...they
completely removed the graphical (gif) capability of the
Horizonal Line function with a plain-old LINE. Now any
images that one used to use are all replaced by lines.

In the Theme editing function you cannot even select
the "line" anymore. Looks like they decided to go
BACKWARDS on this because it makes web pages look archaic
instead of elegant. Bad decision IMHO.

Stefan B Rusynko

All the themes have been modified to be more css compatible
- that's one of the areas affected that is not supported by css

If you want to preserve you specific older themes modify them and save them as a new theme

IMHO, just insert your lines as images instead of using the HR tag
- cleaner and more compatible
- use a Search & replace in your web for <HR>

PS
Not sure this will work, but if you want images for the lines, You could also try
Format Theme Modify Text More Text Styles (select .ms-navline)
Format Borders Shading and try a background image
--

| I figured out what this "minor" change was...they
| completely removed the graphical (gif) capability of the
| Horizonal Line function with a plain-old LINE. Now any
| images that one used to use are all replaced by lines.
|
| In the Theme editing function you cannot even select
| the "line" anymore. Looks like they decided to go
| BACKWARDS on this because it makes web pages look archaic
| instead of elegant. Bad decision IMHO.

You are joking I hope! See my embedded comments below...

Cheers, Paul

Stefan B Rusynko said:
IMHO, just insert your lines as images instead of using the HR tag
- cleaner and more compatible
- use a Search & replace in your web for <HR>

Isn't the whole idea of a theme that the style and content are kept
separate? A well-established design technique by now I would have thought.

I use <HR> tags on my FP2000 pages like I use Bullets, Buttons, and other
style elements. If I want to make a global change to the look of the site
all I have to do is apply a new (or modified) Theme. Clean and simple.

If FP2003 imposes restrictions on Theme usage in the name of compatibility
with CSS, that's a good reason *not* to upgrade IMHO!

Stefan B Rusynko

Nope

HR is actually content - not style
- you can apply styles to the HR tag

The prior versions of FP used an image instead of applying a style, which actually converted your content code from an HR tag to an
image tag (view source in some of your pages)

That violates separation of content and style, and prevented the HR tag from being used as it was intended (plus you could not apply
styles to the "image" and it was not ADA compliant)

Use the HR tag as intended and apply a style or use an image
- your choice
--

<paul at holland dot name> wrote in message | You are joking I hope! See my embedded comments below...

| Cheers, Paul
|
| | > IMHO, just insert your lines as images instead of using the HR tag
| > - cleaner and more compatible
| > - use a Search & replace in your web for <HR>
|
| Isn't the whole idea of a theme that the style and content are kept
| separate? A well-established design technique by now I would have thought.
|
| I use <HR> tags on my FP2000 pages like I use Bullets, Buttons, and other
| style elements. If I want to make a global change to the look of the site
| all I have to do is apply a new (or modified) Theme. Clean and simple.
|
| If FP2003 imposes restrictions on Theme usage in the name of compatibility
| with CSS, that's a good reason *not* to upgrade IMHO!
|

| > _____________________________________________
| > SBR @ ENJOY (-: [ Microsoft MVP - FrontPage ]
| > "Warning - Using the F1 Key will not break anything!" (-;
| > To find the best Newsgroup for FrontPage support see:
| > http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp
| > _____________________________________________

| > | completely removed the graphical (gif) capability of the
| > | Horizonal Line function with a plain-old LINE. Now any
| > | images that one used to use are all replaced by lines.
| > |
| > | In the Theme editing function you cannot even select
| > | the "line" anymore. Looks like they decided to go
| > | BACKWARDS on this because it makes web pages look archaic
| > | instead of elegant. Bad decision IMHO.
| > |

Oh really,? So will I have to manually insert glyphs for all my
bullet-pointed items too?

Stefan B Rusynko said:
Nope

HR is actually content - not style
- you can apply styles to the HR tag

The prior versions of FP used an image instead of applying a style, which
actually converted your content code from an HR tag to an
image tag (view source in some of your pages)

That violates separation of content and style, and prevented the HR tag
from being used as it was intended (plus you could not apply

Stefan B Rusynko

No - CSS supports image styles for lists
ul { list-style-image: url(http://www.foo.com/bullet.gif) }