The real good of Windows XP SP2...

Vince C.

Hi.

I wonder how MS considers working with Enterprises: installing SP2 will
simply cut-off Network Admins remote management possibilities!

I understand activating the firewall, shutting down netbios, disabling
Messenger service on a HOME version is justified. I also understand it's a
good thing on a PRO version that is NOT in a domain.

But, guys, an Enterprise that has a DOMAIN controller - hence most than
probably a Firewall too and, yes, there are still serious Admins, here -
expects at least to be ASKED whether to disable all those things or not!

Company + Domain + Windows XP + SP2 = more Admin headaches!

We're seriously thinking of a replacement to Windows XP.

Vince C.

Mike Brannigan [MSFT]

Vince C. said:
Hi.

I wonder how MS considers working with Enterprises: installing SP2 will
simply cut-off Network Admins remote management possibilities!

I understand activating the firewall, shutting down netbios, disabling
Messenger service on a HOME version is justified. I also understand it's a
good thing on a PRO version that is NOT in a domain.

But, guys, an Enterprise that has a DOMAIN controller - hence most than
probably a Firewall too and, yes, there are still serious Admins, here -
expects at least to be ASKED whether to disable all those things or not!

Company + Domain + Windows XP + SP2 = more Admin headaches!

We're seriously thinking of a replacement to Windows XP.

Vince C.

Vince,

There is No Problem at all with my corporate/Enterprise customers deploying
SP2 as they are using Group Policy under Active Directory to control the
settings in SP2 so they can choose to turn off the firewall or alter the
configuration to allow certain tools etc.
You need to look at our documentation on this and look deeper into the
proper configuration management of an Enterprise environment running Windows
XP and Active Directory.
see
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/howto/default.mspx
and
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/xpsp2man.mspx

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

Matt

I have had installed for almost a month and never had an
issue. Just make sure you have enable the GP for the
Windows firewall to off. The additions have been great
for us here.

Matthew Gilbert
Systems Engineer
Kyes Insurance/Dirigo Networks

Vince C.

"Mike Brannigan [MSFT]" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le
message de [...]
There is No Problem at all with my corporate/Enterprise customers deploying
SP2 as they are using Group Policy under Active Directory to control the
settings in SP2 so they can choose to turn off the firewall or alter the
configuration to allow certain tools etc.
You need to look at our documentation on this and look deeper into the
proper configuration management of an Enterprise environment running Windows
XP and Active Directory.
see
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/howto/default.mspx
and
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/xpsp2man.mspx

Thanks, Mike. It's Ok for Group Policies. But how about Messenger service
and any services that are needed but disabled by XP? Is there also a group
policy to specify services that *must* run?

Vince C.

Torgeir Bakken \(MVP\)

Vince said:
Thanks, Mike. It's Ok for Group Policies. But how about Messenger service
and any services that are needed but disabled by XP? Is there also a group
policy to specify services that *must* run?
Hi

Yes, please take a look at this post (I don't think you want to mess with
the security settings part of the GPO, only the startup mode)

http://groups.google.com/[email protected]

Robert Moir

Vince said:
Hi.

I wonder how MS considers working with Enterprises: installing SP2
will simply cut-off Network Admins remote management possibilities!

I'd say Microsoft expects Enterprise network administrators to be able to
read. They've provided no end of documentation about deployment,
configuration, troubleshooting, etc.

From that point on, I'd say that reading the documentation was *your*
problem.

Vince C.

Torgeir Bakken (MVP) said:
Hi

Yes, please take a look at this post (I don't think you want to mess with
the security settings part of the GPO, only the startup mode)
http://groups.google.com/[email protected]

Going on with Group Policies: our domain controller is a W2K Advanced
Server. We have both Windows 2K Pro and XP pro workstations. Can I manage
Windows XP firewall with group policies though?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...24-8CBD-4B35-9272-DD3CBFC81887&displaylang=en
says GPMC SP1 runs only on XP and server 2003.

I can read but I find that documentation unclear :). Supported OS means:
for management? or as an install target OS, i.e. OS where I can install and
run GPMC SP1?

"GPMC runs on Windows XP Professional SP1 and Windows Server 2003 computers
and can manage Group Policy in either Windows 2000 or Windows Server 2003
domains" - does it mean administration of W2K domains is only supported
through Win 2003 servers?

TIA,
Vince C.

Torgeir Bakken \(MVP\)

Vince said:
http://groups.google.com/[email protected]

Going on with Group Policies: our domain controller is a W2K Advanced
Server. We have both Windows 2K Pro and XP pro workstations. Can I manage
Windows XP firewall with group policies though?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...24-8CBD-4B35-9272-DD3CBFC81887&displaylang=en
says GPMC SP1 runs only on XP and server 2003.

I can read but I find that documentation unclear :). Supported OS means:
for management? or as an install target OS, i.e. OS where I can install and
run GPMC SP1?

"GPMC runs on Windows XP Professional SP1 and Windows Server 2003 computers
and can manage Group Policy in either Windows 2000 or Windows Server 2003
domains" - does it mean administration of W2K domains is only supported
through Win 2003 servers?
Hi

Yes, you can manage Windows XP firewall with group policies even if
the domain controller is only a W2k Server. What the text in the URL
above says is that you need to administer it from a Windows XP
computer in that case, and not from the W2k Server console.

Vince C.

Torgeir Bakken (MVP) said:
Hi

Yes, you can manage Windows XP firewall with group policies even if
the domain controller is only a W2k Server. What the text in the URL
above says is that you need to administer it from a Windows XP
computer in that case, and not from the W2k Server console.

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Vince C.

"Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le
message de [...]
Yes, you can manage Windows XP firewall with group policies even if
the domain controller is only a W2k Server. What the text in the URL
above says is that you need to administer it from a Windows XP
computer in that case, and not from the W2k Server console.

Thanks, Torgeir.

I still a few more questions. If I understood I must install the new
templates on a Windows XP computer, right? Otherwise the .ADM files would
not be usable from Windows 2K machines, including the servers, right?

Network admins all have Windows 2000 Pro workstations. Usually we access and
edit Group Policies for the domain running snap-in "Active Directory Users
and Computers" on the domain controller from a remote TSC session. Should I
also copy that MMC snap-in onto the XP machine I'll use to edit policies for
XP machines?

Vince C.

Torgeir Bakken \(MVP\)

Vince said:
[...]

On a WinXP computer, you need to use this MMC snap-in:

Administration Tools Pack (adminpak)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...15-c8f4-47ef-a1e4-a8dcbacff8e3&DisplayLang=en

If you are about to deploy WinXP SP2 as well, you should take a look
at the following links:

Managing Windows XP Service Pack 2 Features Using Group Policy
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/mangxpsp2/mngintro.mspx

From: Mark Williams [MSFT] ([email protected])
Subject: Windows XP Service Pack 2 .adm files available for download
http://groups.google.com/[email protected]