The OnePlus 5

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Apple gonna lawyer up! :eek:

http://www.gsmarena.com/new_alleged...g_a_lot_like_the_iphone_7_plus-news-25453.php

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/06/06/exclusive-this-is-the-oneplus-5/

sx7PqX3.png

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Despite this looking a bit too much like an iPhone to me, I quite like it so will be interested in the final product.

OnePlus 5 - Launch Live Event tonight at 5pm UK time.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
So then, I ordered one of these and received it the Friday before last. We left for Cornwall the next day for a week and I took the OP5 with me. Here are my thoughts.....

- Battery life is very impressive, messing about setting up etc and it held up very well.
- Fingerprint scanner is crazy fast and accurate.
- The screen is great, uniform colours etc. (I'm using sRGB) You really can't tell 1080p and 1440p apart on a 5.5" screen, if you think you can you need to go outside more.
- Stock Android with some great little subtle tweaks.
- Build quality is on point.
- I don't have this 'jelly effect' I keep reading about at all.

I do miss the wireless charging of the S7E, that is the main thing I knew I'd miss, its just so damn handy. However dash charging and battery life means that's less of an issue then I thought it would be. But the curved screen was starting to really get to me, hence the change.

So as I said, I've been away for the last week in the depth's of Cornwall. We stayed with some friends in a house that had no mobile signal at all and crap WiFi.

Here's how my battery held up over the course of one day, which is with everything on - WiFi, Mobile data, BT (Android Wear watch, car and Bluetooth speaker), with Spotify and GoneMad Media Player on pretty much all day.

Five and a half hours of screen on time with little to no signal all day and a poor WiFi signal while streaming via BT all day is a fine effort, I thought I'd need to charge it in the evening but I din't as I wanted to see how long I could get out of it!

Battery stats:

5cpyCpj.png
95Ruflm.png
uAamMZ0.png
M2ZTajG.png

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Really glad you're enjoying it!

That's really good going from the battery - my S7 will only just see me through the day if I really cane it. I've finally moved to wireless charging, so I can dock it later in the day if I'm going to head out in the evening.

I remember you weren't too keen on the S7 fingerprint scanner and you mention that this one is fast and accurate - is it a big difference between the two?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
The wireless charging is great, I do miss it. Shame the OP5 doesn't have it.

I found the S7 fps when it worked was good, but it would have a habit of failing after a time, and re adding your prints would make it work again. A little annoying.

The scanner on the OP5 is amazing though, I barely have to touch it and its unlocked.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
An update. I returned the OP5. :(

Why? Mainly because I've been underwhelmed by the camera (coming from my S7E, I expected it to be at least on par with it) and I'm concerned with the possible issues and lack of support going on. Jelly screen, your looking at it/holding it wrong etc. Example being this deleted tweet from OP support: http://i.imgur.com/2lF48Yl.png

Even though I didn't have the jelly scrolling effect I was worried that if any other issues came up what how would OP deal with them?

Don't get me wrong, I loved it hardware wise, and really like the near stock Android software with the cool little tweaks, but I don't like the way OP have dealt with the issues since its release.

I really was in two minds about it, but I just don't want to take the risk of having to fight with their support later on down the line if I need to. I've been there and done that already thanks.

I'm a bit disappointed tbh, I genuinely loved the phone but I didn't want the worry of having to possibly have a fight on my hands if anything were to go wrong etc.

Shame about the camera too, it was touted at being so amazing and the 'best camera on a phone' etc, but its not that good. Its an OK camera, its not bad, but certainly not the greatest. My S7E takes better pictures.

So anyway, for now I'm sticking with my S7E. Lets see what comes of the new Pixel devices.....

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Ah, that's a shame :(. Do you know what the story is behind this jelly effect? I had a quick Google and watched the videos that demonstrate it - it looks very strange. Is it something that some phones have, or just that certain people notice?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Its apparently due to them mounting the screen upside down. Why it only affects some and not others though is a mystery.

Ask a Question