The Energy Crisis

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Anyone affected? Well I imagine almost everyone is, even if its just a bigger DD each month.

I'm with Avro, well, I was until this afternoon. :rolleyes:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
What a pain for you! Have you heard anything from them?

I hope this isn't going to be a winter of discontent! It's going to ram up inflation these coming months, so could be compounded by higher mortgage rates :(.

I'm with Octopus energy, who seem to be ok as far as I'm aware - although I'm on a fixed rate until Jan 2022.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Have been with Avro on two previous occasions but now with Shell Energy. Hope they are big enough to withstand the increases in supply price; I am assuming that they are part of the vast Shell empire. On a fixed rate till January 2022 and have always used the Martin Lewis website to find the next year's best deal. I wonder who will be left standing by then. Whatever the situation it is going to cost a lot more. :(

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Yeah I was on a fix until May next year. Was a cracking deal when I signed up to it.... Didn't see this coming though. :wall:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Don't think anyone did! What happens to your account now, you're just transferred to any other supplier they choose?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Yep, waiting to find out who. Once that's done I'm free to switch to whoever. The new provider will take my credit from avro and reimburse me, although 5 months in and I'm yet to have a bill from them so I suspect that credit will cover the last 5 months.

Sadly, the current pick of tarrifs are a lot more than what I was paying.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Early last year I was with Green Network Energy on quite a good two year deal. They went bust and I was swapped over to EDF on a very good rolling deal.
Around May this year I heard this was going to change plus the price cap was going to be reassessed in the autumn. So I changed my contract. Best deal I could find apart from some offered by really small suppliers was still with EDF but prices were higher. I decided to go with them as I thought that prices would rise across the board and I might end up with an even more expensive deal.
Glad I made the change as I have a two year contract to August 2023 so it looks like I will miss the price hikes for a while, :D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Still waiting for my account to be officially transferred to Octopus, but I've sent them a meter reading and set up a DD. Sounds like Avro didn't made it easy. :rolleyes:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I used to chop and change energy suppliers but figured out in the end I end up paying the same amount to all of them after the initial discounted period they all offer so because of that I've stuck with British Gas for some time now for both Gas & Electric.

No smart meter, no direct debit and I pay quarterly, which suits me fine.

I may miss out on saving a few bob occasionally but I can't be bothered with all that messing about constantly changing and most suppliers would want me to pay monthly by direct debit but I'm happy paying once every three months.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I used (well, used to use) Martin Lewis' cheap energy club. Was a very simple way to save a few quid as some of the suppliers unit rates and standing charges used to vary massively.

No point with that that at the moment though.

If anyone's interested by the way, my Octopus transfer is complete, and I'm on their veritable tariff, which is apparently £10 under the price cap, probably best I'm gonna get for a while....

Ask a Question