TextBox password char

Sebastian Fresta

Hi all,
I'm trying to create a small app for iPaq 5400 series that
need to login to a database.
My problem is that when I use a textbox with the
PasswordChar set, the application freezes as soon as i try
to input something from the SIP. To unlock the application
i have to click a number of times in the textbox, after
this, the text box displays the password characters and
the application runs normally.
I tried to put the focus directly on the text box, but the
problem persists.

I tried to create a new project with just a text box with
the PasswordChar set, but i have the same problem. I'm
using vb.net, but i tried also with c#.

When I use the emulator everything works fine.

Can someone help me with this problem?

Thanks.

William Ryan

I use PasswordChars frequently and haven 't had any problem. Can you post
the code that's causing it. Another thing you may want to consider is
Enabling the SIP WHEN the control gets focus like so (the coloring thing is
just a matter of formatting and unrelated to the task at hand..)

private void tbPassword_OnGotFocus(object sender, System.EventArgs e)

{

inputPanel1.Enabled = true;

tbPassword.BackColor = Color.WhiteSmoke;

}

private void tbPassword_OnLostFocus(object sender, System.EventArgs e)

{

inputPanel1.Enabled = false;

tbPassword.BackColor = Color.LightGray;

}

Katie Schaeffer [MSFT]

Hi Sebastian,

Are you using the InputPanel class? What version of PPC are you using -
2002, or 2003? Also, which input method is the SIP set to when you see
this problem (keyboard, transcriber, etc.)? Do you see the problem with
the emulator when you use the SIP and not the keyboard?

Thanks,
-Katie

| From: "Sebastian Fresta" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "Sebastian Fresta" <[email protected]>
| Subject: TextBox password char
| Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 03:12:47 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework
|
| Hi all,
| I'm trying to create a small app for iPaq 5400 series that
| need to login to a database.
| My problem is that when I use a textbox with the
| PasswordChar set, the application freezes as soon as i try
| to input something from the SIP. To unlock the application
| i have to click a number of times in the textbox, after
| this, the text box displays the password characters and
| the application runs normally.
| I tried to put the focus directly on the text box, but the
| problem persists.
|
| I tried to create a new project with just a text box with
| the PasswordChar set, but i have the same problem. I'm
| using vb.net, but i tried also with c#.
|
| When I use the emulator everything works fine.
|
| Can someone help me with this problem?
|
| Thanks.

Sebastian Fresta

Thanks for yout replies.

I'm using PPC 2002 and the SIP is set to keyboard, but i
tried also different input methods. I didn't encountered
this problem when I use the emulator, neither using the
keyboard, nor the SIP, and this is why I think it is a bug
related with the HP IPAQ 5400 series. Unfortunately, I do
not have the chance to try on other handhelds.

For the other reply, I didn't nothing special, I just
created a new project, put a normal textbox in it and set
the passwordchar to "*". If i try to run this application,
deploying it on the device, it freezes. If I put another
text box, without a passwordchar set, in the form, the
application runs normaly, but as soon as the 1st textbox
(the one with the passwordchar set) get focus, the
application freezes. It is like some processing is
running, because after a minute or two, everything i did
(typing, clicking, etc.) is displayed on screen.

Katie Schaeffer [MSFT]

Hi Sebastian,

There is a known issue with password textboxes and the InputPanel. The SIP
was fixed in later versions of PPC (including PPC2003). Basically setting
focus to the textbox causes the EnabledChanged event to fire, which can
lead to problems depending on what you are doing inside the event handler.
This was especially troublesome with the transcriber SIP, where the event
would fire a large number of times.

If you are not using the InputPanel class, then you should try SP2 once it
is released. When a password textbox receives focus, we disable word
completion of the SIP. Previously we were not checking the current state
of the SIP to see if it needed to be disabled (fixed in SP2)...purhaps the
setting the SIP to have word completion disabled is causing the textbox to
receive another focus message.

-Katie

| From: "Sebastian Fresta" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "Sebastian Fresta" <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: TextBox password char
| Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 23:13:54 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework
|
| Thanks for yout replies.
|
| I'm using PPC 2002 and the SIP is set to keyboard, but i
| tried also different input methods. I didn't encountered
| this problem when I use the emulator, neither using the
| keyboard, nor the SIP, and this is why I think it is a bug
| related with the HP IPAQ 5400 series. Unfortunately, I do
| not have the chance to try on other handhelds.
|
| For the other reply, I didn't nothing special, I just
| created a new project, put a normal textbox in it and set
| the passwordchar to "*". If i try to run this application,
| deploying it on the device, it freezes. If I put another
| text box, without a passwordchar set, in the form, the
| application runs normaly, but as soon as the 1st textbox
| (the one with the passwordchar set) get focus, the
| application freezes. It is like some processing is
| running, because after a minute or two, everything i did
| (typing, clicking, etc.) is displayed on screen.

| >|
| >| Hi all,
| >| I'm trying to create a small app for iPaq 5400 series
| that
| >| need to login to a database.
| >| My problem is that when I use a textbox with the
| >| PasswordChar set, the application freezes as soon as i
| try
| >| to input something from the SIP. To unlock the
| application
| >| i have to click a number of times in the textbox, after
| >| this, the text box displays the password characters and
| >| the application runs normally.
| >| I tried to put the focus directly on the text box, but
| the
| >| problem persists.
| >|
| >| I tried to create a new project with just a text box
| with
| >| the PasswordChar set, but i have the same problem. I'm
| >| using vb.net, but i tried also with c#.
| >|
| >| When I use the emulator everything works fine.
| >|
| >| Can someone help me with this problem?
| >|
| >| Thanks.