Text documents give error message on opening.

Frank Martin

If I make a text document (*.txt) in any
folder with notepad, and then try to access
it either by clicking on it, or by
right-click-opening it, the text opens, but
with an error message:

"Windows cannot find D:/text.txt make sure
you typed the name correctly and then try
again. To search for a file click the start
button and try search."

This error message is displayed no matter
where the notepad text is located.

Please help, Frank.

PS: How does one cut/paste these long error
messages?

David Candy

Message Boxes and Error Dialogs
Key Description
Ctrl + C Copies the text of a message box to the clipboard.
Alt + D Shows details in an error dialog. This was introduced in Windows ME and superceded in Windows XP.

In most property sheets text can be selected and copied even though it doesn't look like it can. In most windows applications right clicking the text field will popup the edit context menu. However in office there is no menu, office believe the What's This help feature is more important, and one must press Ctrl + C.

Note some message boxes are dialogs that look like a message box. Therefore the programmer needed to specifically add the feature.

Type the following in a command prompt

reg query HKCR\.txt /s >>"%userprofile%\desktop\TxtExport.txt"
reg query HKCR\txtfile /s >>"%userprofile%\desktop\TxtExport.txt"
reg query HKCR\SystemFileAssociations\.txt /s >>"%userprofile%\desktop\TxtExport.txt"
reg query HKCR\SystemFileAssociations\text /s >>"%userprofile%\desktop\TxtExport.txt"
reg query HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\notepad.exe /s >>"%userprofile%\desktop\TxtExport.txt"
reg query HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.txt /s >>"%userprofile%\desktop\TxtExport.txt"

Frank Martin

Thanks, I can copy the error dialogues now.

But the other problem is still there, and whenever I start up a text box, even in explorer, I get that error message.

Do you think I should reload Windows?

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message Message Boxes and Error Dialogs
[...]

Did you type the stuff I told you. Or did you think I typed it myself for my own amusement.

How to lose a war in Iraq
http://webdiary.com.au/cms/?q=node/1335#comment-48641
[...]

I tried copying the code line-by-line and as a block in both the "Run" window and the command prompt several times and rebooted afterwards.

The error message still occurs on opening any text file.

Incidentally the Command Prompt window (the black one) cannot be enlaged sideways, only in depth, and this may be a problem because the code overflows on to the next line causing an error message.

Can this be fixed?

Please advise, pecause I am close to panic!

Regards, Frtank