terminal help

G

hi, i'm fairly knowledgable with computer skills and own a couple retail stores. I am trying to have them all run off of a centralized server at one of my locations to run point of sale (POS) transactions. The server is running Windows 2003 Server Evaulation which is supposed to be a full version that expires in 180 days. In the location that has the server I have all my workstations able to use the POS Software properly. All my locations have static IP addresses. How do I get the remote locations to be able to access the POS Software on my server. I.E. How can I map a drive from the server at one of my other locations. Also, on the server I have two network cards, one for the internet and another for the LAN. When I tried to set up internet connect sharing on my server it said that I have to first disable routing and remote access. I couldn't figure out how to do this but for some reason the workstations are still able to access the internet even with the ICS being on. Please help.

Thanks,
Danny

G

When using terminal services there usually is no need to map drives to access programs the way you do on a normal client/server network. Instead you setup a terminal server (like a multi-user workstation) with your applications, that people access from anywhere using the Remote Desktop Client software, i.e. from a Windows, Mac, Linux, DOS or thin-client workstation. These connections can be securely made on the local area network or over a WAN or public Internet connection by utilizing TCP Port 3389

The terminal server is located on the same LAN as the data, i.e. in the corporate data center where the databases & user files are stored & backed-up. The data is however usually NOT stored on the Terminal Server, just like you normally don't have critical data stored on end-user's workstations. Data is NOT transferred between the terminal server & Remote Desktop Clients, whereas only screen images, mouse/keyboard clicks are transmitted to the client, utilizing minimal bandwidth

It's possible to map drives/ports/printers to user's local devices so they can utilize them, i.e. to print to a local printer, copy paste files, use serial devices..

Lots of info on my website

Patrick Rous
Microsoft MVP - Terminal Serve
http://www.workthin.co

----- Daniel wrote: ----

hi, i'm fairly knowledgable with computer skills and own a couple retail stores. I am trying to have them all run off of a centralized server at one of my locations to run point of sale (POS) transactions. The server is running Windows 2003 Server Evaulation which is supposed to be a full version that expires in 180 days. In the location that has the server I have all my workstations able to use the POS Software properly. All my locations have static IP addresses. How do I get the remote locations to be able to access the POS Software on my server. I.E. How can I map a drive from the server at one of my other locations. Also, on the server I have two network cards, one for the internet and another for the LAN. When I tried to set up internet connect sharing on my server it said that I have to first disable routing and remote access. I couldn't figure out how to do this but for some reason the workstations are still able to access the internet even with the ICS being on. Please help

Thanks
Dann

M

Mark Mancini

Most POS apps work fine under TS, I've set a few up. No need for a static
on any but where the server is. Since retail is your thing and you probably
don't want to compromise the security of your data, I would recommend a
professional install. You would have the POS software launch upon login
with the environment tab. I would not use ICS, but a hardware based
firewall. As for mapping drives, I would not suggest that!!!!! Not only is
it a security risk, but you are a RETAIL store....let's face it....you don't
get the brightest employees!!! don;t take that risk!

--
Sincerely,
Mark Mancini, CCA, CCNA, Master CIW&CI, CNE 4&5, MCSE+I 4&2000
www.MCSE2000.com
www.AppLauncher.com

Daniel said:
hi, i'm fairly knowledgable with computer skills and own a couple retail
stores. I am trying to have them all run off of a centralized server at one
of my locations to run point of sale (POS) transactions. The server is
running Windows 2003 Server Evaulation which is supposed to be a full
version that expires in 180 days. In the location that has the server I
have all my workstations able to use the POS Software properly. All my
locations have static IP addresses. How do I get the remote locations to be
able to access the POS Software on my server. I.E. How can I map a drive
from the server at one of my other locations. Also, on the server I have
two network cards, one for the internet and another for the LAN. When I
tried to set up internet connect sharing on my server it said that I have to
first disable routing and remote access. I couldn't figure out how to do
this but for some reason the workstations are still able to access the
internet even with the ICS being on. Please help.

G

ok so i need to use remote desktop connection in windows to log into the server correct? where in remote desktop assistance to I put in the server's IP address?? Is there a different part of windows xp where I have to set up the initial connection with the server?

Daniel

G

There is no initial connection to the server, you connect directly with RDP using the remote desktop client. You open Remote Desktop, type in the ip address or FQDN of the Terminal Server, then click connect

You'll have to open port 3389 on your firewall to allow access from remote users

As Mark stated, this is something you should hire a server based computing consultant to help you with, if you want it done right the first time. Where are you located, as we may be able to recommend someone to you

Patrick Rous
Microsoft MVP - Terminal Serve
http://www.workthin.co

----- daniel wrote: ----

ok so i need to use remote desktop connection in windows to log into the server correct? where in remote desktop assistance to I put in the server's IP address?? Is there a different part of windows xp where I have to set up the initial connection with the server?

Daniel

Ask a Question