TCP Handshake Question

G

I'm an experienced VB developer who has recently started working in .NET. I'm trying to figure out how the .NET framework exposes option negotiation when the Connect method of a socket is called. In general, I've found that option negotiation can be ignored. But occasionally the connect method times out because the target telnet server insists on appropriate responses from the client for each do/dont option request. In VB 6 I simply used the Winsock data_arrival event to intercept these and respond with wont to each option

Fiske

T

Tom Shelton

I'm an experienced VB developer who has recently started working in .NET. I'm trying to figure out how the .NET framework exposes option negotiation when the Connect method of a socket is called. In general, I've found that option negotiation can be ignored. But occasionally the connect method times out because the target telnet server insists on appropriate responses from the client for each do/dont option request. In VB 6 I simply used the Winsock data_arrival event to intercept these and respond with wont to each option.

Fiske

Fiske,

Once the connection is open, you need to read it's requests and respond
appropriately.

' open connection

' read request

' send response

' read request

The opening of the connection should not timeout unless the host is
unreachable. Telnet uses a challenge response negotiation protocol to
determin terminal capabilities. It has nothing to do with the actuall
connecting to the port.