Takes Too Long to Logon after reboot

Mike L

I have XP home
While it seems to take too long from start up to the logon window (about 1
minute), It takes over 3 additional minutes to go from the logon screen to
the desk top.

It only happens when I startup or reboot. I click the userid and the
desktop comes up in about 30 seconds without any icons, tool bars, or quick
start bar. It takes an additional 2 or 3 minutes for these to come up.

Once I have waited and everything is up, if I log off and then log on as any
user, everything comes in in about 15 seconds. It is only a problem when I
start up or reboot.

I have run adaware, spybot, and done a full scan with Norton. Everyrthing
seems clean.

I am getting ready - Tue or Wed - to take it to a computer shop but thought
I would try here for suggestions first.

Appreciate the help.

Mike

Alias

If you use Outlook Express a lot, when was the last time you compacted
messages? When was the last time you did a clean up (including elimiating
cookies, Internet files, both on and offline), chkdsk and defrag?

Alias

Patrick Smith

Mike said:
[...]

Maybe try running msconfig from Start/Run and then go to Startup Tab and
post all the items in there so we can see what is starting up and give
make suggestions about getting rid of some of the things starting up in
your profile. Another thing to try is recreating your profile for
something in it may be corrupt. To do this, you log into another
profile and rename your profile in "Documents and Settings". Then you
log back into your profile and copy anything you need into your new
profile from your old one, like IE favorites and My Documents and such.

Rock

Mike said:
[...]

Something could be hanging up at startup. In Msconfig on the start up
tab you can disable the start up items one by one and reboot to see if
you can identify the culprit. Here is a link to several MS knowledge
base articles that talk about how to do this.

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310560

How to perform advanced clean-boot troubleshooting in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com

Mike L

I rarely use OE on that machine. I did a defrag 2 days ago. I cleaned out
all the temp and internet temp files - to include all but about 3 cookies -
those that I have used for a long time.

I just did a chkdsk

nothing seems to have helped.

Alias

Well, as others suggested, take a look at MSCONFIG and see what's loading up
at start up.

Alias

Jon

The key advice you've received is to check which programs load at startup.

You either have too many or a particular program which is causing problems
(not necessarily a virus or spyware)

A program like autoruns can help you to examine startup programs and remove
unnecessary programs

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/autoruns.html

Jon

Mike L

The following is what is checked in STARTUP:
ATI2mdxx (for my graphics)
ATIptaxx Graphics
CTSysvol sound
CTDVDdet sound
ccapp Norton
zlclient zonealarm
msmsgs
APC UPS status power supply

Thats it.

Mike L

I also tried the profile change and that didn't work either.

I guess it isn't a simple fix. I am a little intimidated to try the
diagnostics. My luck in the past has not been too good in that area.

I appreciate all the good suggestions, however, it looks like it might be a
little over my head for this.

I really appreciate all the suggestions.

Mike

Frankster

Mike,

What all the other replies missed, up to this point, is that you are trying
to figure out why the time to login is much greater after a reboot.

THIS IS NORMAL!

After rebooting, your system has to start all services from a scratch and
re-write the swap file, among other things. The "logon screen" is displayed
long before there are enough services stared to handle your logon. So...
the system waits for all those services to start before allowing you to
logon fully, and show the desktop.

Bottom line, this takes longer on a lower performing computer and longer
when you load a lot of things at startup. However, the fact that the logon
process takes longer after a reboot is perfectly normal.

Relax :)

-Frank

Feng Mao

Hi Mike,

Thank you as well as others for posting and discussion.

Mike, I wonder when the problem first occur. If it happened recently,
perform a System Restore might be helpful.

Using System Restore to Restore Windows XP

1. Log on to Windows as Administrator or as a member of the Administrators
group.
2. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to
System Tools, and then click System Restore. System Restore starts.
3. On the "Welcome to System Restore" page, click "Restore my computer to
an earlier time" (if it is not already selected), and then click Next.
4. On the "Select a Restore Point" page, click the most recent system
checkpoint in the "On this list, click a restore point" list, and then
click Next. A System Restore message may appear that lists configuration
changes that System Restore will make. Click OK.
5. On the "Confirm Restore Point Selection" page, click Next. System
Restore restores the previous Windows XP configuration, and then restarts
the computer.
6. Log on to the computer as Administrator. The System Restore Restoration
Complete page appears.
7. Click OK.

Troubleshooting
---------------

You may inadvertently restore Windows XP to a previous configuration that
you do not want. To undo the restoration:

1. Log on to Windows as Administrator.
2. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to
System Tools, and then click System Restore. System Restore starts.
3. On the "Welcome to System Restore" page, click "Undo my last
restoration", and then click Next. A System Restore message may appear that
lists configuration changes that System Restore will make. Click OK.
4. On the Confirm Restoration Undo page, click Next. System Restore
restores the original Windows XP configuration, and then restarts the
computer.
5. Log on to the computer as Administrator. The System Restore Undo
Complete page appears.
6. Click OK.

For more information about system restore in Windows XP, please refer to
our KB article
Q306084: HOW TO: Restore Windows XP to a Previous State

From your previous message, I know you have several component enabled in
Startup tab of MSCONFIG. Could you please uncheck ccapp Norton and zlclient
zonealarm. As I know, such applicaton might be time consuming to be loaded.
In addition, you may go to Service tab of MSCONFIG, mark the option "Hide
All Microsoft Services" and uncheck all items in the list and restart your
computer. Will you feel better after the reboot.

I hope that the above information will be useful.

Have a nice day!

Thanks & Regards,

Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "Mike L" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Takes Too Long to Logon after reboot
| Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 12:11:52 -0400
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
|
| The following is what is checked in STARTUP:
| ATI2mdxx (for my graphics)
| ATIptaxx Graphics
| CTSysvol sound
| CTDVDdet sound
| ccapp Norton
| zlclient zonealarm
| msmsgs
| APC UPS status power supply
|
| Thats it.
| | > Mike L wrote:
| >
| > > I have XP home
| > > While it seems to take too long from start up to the logon window
(about
| 1
| > > minute), It takes over 3 additional minutes to go from the logon
screen
| > > the desk top.
| > >
| > > It only happens when I startup or reboot. I click the userid and the
| > > desktop comes up in about 30 seconds without any icons, tool bars, or
| quick
| > > start bar. It takes an additional 2 or 3 minutes for these to come up.
| > >
| > > Once I have waited and everything is up, if I log off and then log on
as
| any
| > > user, everything comes in in about 15 seconds. It is only a problem
| when I
| > > start up or reboot.
| > >
| > > I have run adaware, spybot, and done a full scan with Norton.
| Everyrthing
| > > seems clean.
| > >
| > > I am getting ready - Tue or Wed - to take it to a computer shop but
| thought
| > > I would try here for suggestions first.
| > >
| > > Appreciate the help.
| > >
| > > Mike
| > >

| > Maybe try running msconfig from Start/Run and then go to Startup Tab and
| > post all the items in there so we can see what is starting up and give
| > make suggestions about getting rid of some of the things starting up in
| > your profile. Another thing to try is recreating your profile for
| > something in it may be corrupt. To do this, you log into another
| > profile and rename your profile in "Documents and Settings". Then you
| > log back into your profile and copy anything you need into your new
| > profile from your old one, like IE favorites and My Documents and such.

mike l.

I tried that. I went back 5 days and no change. My problem is that if I
don't restart, everything seems to work just fine and I only reboot after my
UPS shuts me down or I update a program. I can't remember either case in
the past 3 weeks.

Appreciate the help.

Mike
Feng Mao said:
[...]

From your previous message, I know you have several component enabled in
Startup tab of MSCONFIG. Could you please uncheck ccapp Norton and zlclient
zonealarm. As I know, such applicaton might be time consuming to be loaded.
In addition, you may go to Service tab of MSCONFIG, mark the option "Hide
All Microsoft Services" and uncheck all items in the list and restart your
computer. Will you feel better after the reboot.

I hope that the above information will be useful.

Have a nice day!

Thanks & Regards,

Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "Mike L" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Takes Too Long to Logon after reboot
| Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 12:11:52 -0400
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
|
| The following is what is checked in STARTUP:
| ATI2mdxx (for my graphics)
| ATIptaxx Graphics
| CTSysvol sound
| CTDVDdet sound
| ccapp Norton
| zlclient zonealarm
| msmsgs
| APC UPS status power supply
|
| Thats it.
| | > Mike L wrote:
| >
| > > I have XP home
| > > While it seems to take too long from start up to the logon window
(about
| 1
| > > minute), It takes over 3 additional minutes to go from the logon
screen
| > > the desk top.
| > >
| > > It only happens when I startup or reboot. I click the userid and the
| > > desktop comes up in about 30 seconds without any icons, tool bars, or
| quick
| > > start bar. It takes an additional 2 or 3 minutes for these to come up.
| > >
| > > Once I have waited and everything is up, if I log off and then log on
as
| any
| > > user, everything comes in in about 15 seconds. It is only a problem
| when I
| > > start up or reboot.
| > >
| > > I have run adaware, spybot, and done a full scan with Norton.
| Everyrthing
| > > seems clean.
| > >
| > > I am getting ready - Tue or Wed - to take it to a computer shop but
| thought
| > > I would try here for suggestions first.
| > >
| > > Appreciate the help.
| > >
| > > Mike
| > >

| > Maybe try running msconfig from Start/Run and then go to Startup Tab and
| > post all the items in there so we can see what is starting up and give
| > make suggestions about getting rid of some of the things starting up in
| > your profile. Another thing to try is recreating your profile for
| > something in it may be corrupt. To do this, you log into another
| > profile and rename your profile in "Documents and Settings". Then you
| > log back into your profile and copy anything you need into your new
| > profile from your old one, like IE favorites and My Documents and such.

mike l.

Understand. On initial logon, it used to take maybe 30 seconds. Now it
takes 3 minutes or more from the time I click on the icon until when the
desktop is up with all icons and bars.

I have a 3 GHz processor with 512 RAM. The only non essential programs are
msmsg and the APC app.

Mike

Alias

mike l. said:
Understand. On initial logon, it used to take maybe 30 seconds. Now it
takes 3 minutes or more from the time I click on the icon until when the
desktop is up with all icons and bars.

I have a 3 GHz processor with 512 RAM. The only non essential programs are
msmsg and the APC app.

Mike

Have you tried taking those two out of the MSCONFIG start up one at a time
to see if one of them is the culprit?

Alias

Feng Mao

Hi Mike,

As system restore does not work, I think we need figure what the system
does during the startup. For troubleshooting purpose, I suggest unchecking
all items in Startup tab and the items in Services tab except Microsoft
services. If the system boots normally without these items, we can proceed
isolating the culprit. Otherwise, we have to consider it is the problem of
system files.

Have a good day!

> [...]

| > From your previous message, I know you have several component enabled in
| > Startup tab of MSCONFIG. Could you please uncheck ccapp Norton and
| zlclient
| > zonealarm. As I know, such applicaton might be time consuming to be
| loaded.
| > In addition, you may go to Service tab of MSCONFIG, mark the option
"Hide
| > All Microsoft Services" and uncheck all items in the list and restart
your
| > computer. Will you feel better after the reboot.
| >
| > I hope that the above information will be useful.
| >
| > Have a nice day!
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support

| > =====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so

| > |
| > | The following is what is checked in STARTUP:
| > | ATI2mdxx (for my graphics)
| > | ATIptaxx Graphics
| > | CTSysvol sound
| > | CTDVDdet sound