Tagging File in TS to be User specific

G

I have a question regarding how TS works in tagging files to be user specific. I know that to install an application on a TS I need to put the server in install mode by initiating the install from the Control Panel, or by putting the server in install mode from a command prompt. I have done that correctly and the applications works well
My problem is that the application makes use of a file (named HPAPP.DAT) that resides in the WINNT directory, however this file is not created during the installation program. I have tried to create the HPAPP.DAT file manually in the WINNT directory before exiting from install mode hoping that somehow TS would pick up on it and replicate it to the user's home directories, but it did not work
Is there a way of telling TS that this file needs to be copied to the user's home directories? Even if there was would it work? In other words is reading the file from the user's home directory rather than from the WINNT directory up to how the program is written, or is it a redirection that happend automatically if the file is tagged as being user specific
My last questions regards the reason why the file was not detected when I created it in the WINNT directory while in install mode. Did this happen because the extension was not INI? Would it work if the file I created was HPAPP.INI ( I believe I can rename the file and have the program still work, because access to the file is determined by a system variable that is set to "C:\WINNT\HPAPP.DAT". On my server I renamed the file HPAPP.INI and changed the system variable accordigly and everything worked
Any help will be apprecaited

Best Regard
Claudio Cavalli

V

Vera Noest [MVP]

The best way to deal with these issues (applications that complete
their installation with the first use of the app) is to start the
application while still in install mode.
You can still do this, but you will have to do it under a
administrator account that has never run the application before.

G

HI Vera
and thank you for your reply. The problem is that the file is not automatically created by the program at any time. It has to be manually created. That is why I am trying to find a way to "manually tag it"

Best Regard
Claudio Cavalli

V

Vera Noest [MVP]

I see. That makes it more difficult. You might want to read this
article, and then *maybe* you could fix the problem by renaming
the file to .ini and creating it in install mode. I would check
the shadow area of the registry to see if the timestamp gets
updated.
Warning: untested! Be sure to have a full backup!

297379 - Programs Can Revert to the Default Settings on Terminal
Server
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=297379

If that doesn't work, the only option seems to be to contact the
vendor of the program and ask them to make their software TS
compatible.

--
Vera Noest
MCSE, CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
--- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---

=?Utf-8?B?Q2xhdWRpbyBDYXZhbGxp?=

G

Vera
thank you for your help. I will try it and see what happens. Luckyly I am working with some test servers before going "live" so I can affrod some trial and error

Best Regard
Claudio Cavalli

Ask a Question