Tables and Forms

yeshwant

wrewr

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Schapel
Posted At: Friday, May 20, 2005 11:40 PM
Posted To: microsoft.public.access
Conversation: Tables and Forms
Subject: Re: Tables and Forms

John,

From your description, there is a one-to-many relationship between
Students and Enrolments. This should be reflected in your table
structure. There is also a one-to-many relationship between Courses and
Enrolments. Therefore, you need at least 3 tables: Courses, Students,
Enrolments. The Enrolments table will need a Foreign Key field to
relate it to both of the other two tables. For example, it might have
fields something like this...
EnrolmentID
StudentID
CourseCode
EnrolmentDate

Therefore, John Smith's details (name, address, etc) only get entered
once into the database, and every time he enrols in a course, all you
need is to get his StudentID into the Enrolments table.

Not a complete answer, but hopefully it will help point you in a useful
direction.

3

345

67657
From: tina
[...]

Hello,

I am working on a school database. Previously I entered the student’s names
and information thru the form. Now, I like to avoid typing the names of the
students again if they decide to enroll into another class. For example: If
john smith enrolled into English 110 last week, and now enrolled into English
111, I don't want to add his information again if its already in the system.
I need hints on what to do first. I know table is what I need to focus on.
Thank you.

tina

[...]

Steve Schapel

John,

From your description, there is a one-to-many relationship between
Students and Enrolments. This should be reflected in your table
structure. There is also a one-to-many relationship between Courses and
Enrolments. Therefore, you need at least 3 tables: Courses, Students,
Enrolments. The Enrolments table will need a Foreign Key field to
relate it to both of the other two tables. For example, it might have
fields something like this...
EnrolmentID
StudentID
CourseCode
EnrolmentDate

Therefore, John Smith's details (name, address, etc) only get entered
once into the database, and every time he enrols in a course, all you
need is to get his StudentID into the Enrolments table.

Not a complete answer, but hopefully it will help point you in a useful
direction.

G. Vaught

Did you know that at the Microsoft Template for Office site, there is a
database already created to track students, classes, grades etc. Why
reinvent the wheel. I use this database to track my students in the class I
teach. I even modified it to track attendance. This would give you a
starting point where you could modify this database to suite your needs.