System Tray Issues

Reaction score
When I start my laptop my system tray doesn't load everytime. Sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't. Does anyone know why? I don't (as far as I'm aware) have anything untoward loading in my systerm tray - MSN, Printer, Norton, Sound, Bluetooth, Active Sync.

Can anyone HELP Please

Regards
B

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
Tool Tray issues

Is that running on XP Home or Pro?

I have got exactly the same thing with a new machine (XP Pro), and the only way I can get around it is to log-off then back in, and then they all appear as expected! Rather annoying!

The only guess I had is something to do with the nVidia Desktop application which keeps trying to enforce SLI mode, despite this not being the case.

I'm going to keep trying, by don't hold out too much hope:(

Reaction score
I've seem (touch wood) to have got mine sorted. I'm running XP Prop (SP2) on a Sony Laptop. I contacted Sony and they came back to me with the following:-

We would advise you to disable your start up icons in msconfig.
Before doing this make sure you disconnect from the Internet as your antivirus software would be stopped for this period

To do this go to
Start - Run - Msconfig
http://www.vaio-link.com/uk/kb/2000_0/2454.html
Select disable all Apply - Close - Restart

On reboot - Put a tick in the message where it states do not show this message again.
This should stop the error message appearing on shut down

Does this solve the issue? If so, it may indicate that one of th programs on the startup menu is hanging, freezing, or corrupting the system.

Also, this type of behaviour you experience could be caused by spyware which has installed itself on your VAIO while you were connected to the internet. If you cannot make the problems disappear by deleting your cookie content, you will need to go for a more thorough solution. There are programs available for download on the internet which are able to look for spyware on your computer and consequently remove it. You will easily find them by typing in the correct keywords in any search engine. Please understand that we cannot advise you to use any specific third party program.

The above might only be for Sony VAIO I don't know sorry. Also copy this link into your web browser http://www.vaio-link.com/uk/kb/2000_0/2454.html this might help.

One other thing I did do was loaded my XP disc in again and went to upgrade software. I was doing about 3 things at once as I was getting very p**sed off with it all. I did find that Norton AntiVirus was also causing me problems so I unistalled it and installed Sophos instead.

Sorry can't pin point it to one thing but hopefully one of the above help u..

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
MSCONFIG solutions

Hi

Looks like we are working down the same path. I'm running on XP Pro but not on Sony.

I'm working my way thru' the msconfig boot options every time I restart the machine so it is only a matter of time, but I just haven't found the right configuration yet.

It doesn't help when it's an intermittent fault, because I have to backtrack to try ro re-create the problem, just to make sure it was a proper solution and not just a fluke.

Wish me luck!:D

Reaction score
Solution to missing icons

The following worked for me:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/trayicons.htm

A lot of sources have suggested the same thing, but this puts it best.
Please let me know if this works for you.

Mij
============================
CITech said:
Hi

Looks like we are working down the same path. I'm running on XP Pro but not on Sony.

I'm working my way thru' the msconfig boot options every time I restart the machine so it is only a matter of time, but I just haven't found the right configuration yet.

It doesn't help when it's an intermittent fault, because I have to backtrack to try ro re-create the problem, just to make sure it was a proper solution and not just a fluke.

Wish me luck!:D

Ask a Question