System file checker

G

My OS is Windows XP Home Edition which has been installed from a genuine full version. In the past I have run System file checker (sfc /scannow) without any problems using the original CD but now when I try to run sfc /scannow I am asked to use cd Windows XP Professional Series Pack 2 which obviously I don't have. What has gone wrong?

D

dev

/Barry/ said:
My OS is Windows XP Home Edition which has been installed from a genuine full version. In the past I have run System file checker (sfc /scannow) without any problems using the original CD but now when I try to run sfc /scannow I am asked to use cd Windows XP Professional Series Pack 2 which obviously I don't have. What has gone wrong?

Place the CD in the drive, then invoke the SCANNOW command. If the
message appears, try clicking past (ignoring) it. If that fails, report
same here, and further tips may be suggested.

G

Dev

I followed you instructions and I clicked past (retry) numerious times for the file checker to finish but during the middle of the check I was asked to put in cd Windows XP Home edition service pack 1 but all I had was service pack 1 downloaded to a cd. This did not work so I put back the original cd Windows XP Home edition and file checker kept going to the end but with no information how the check went. Does this seem ok to you, if not what else can I do. Thanks.

S

Steve C. Ray

Insert the XP CD before you run SFC.

--
Steve C. Ray
(Replace "mail" with "36db"
Barry said:
Dev,

I followed you instructions and I clicked past (retry) numerious times for
the file checker to finish but during the middle of the check I was asked to
put in cd Windows XP Home edition service pack 1 but all I had was service
pack 1 downloaded to a cd. This did not work so I put back the original cd