system config. utility problem

Marcy

Because i was having trouble getting into safe mode so I could do some
virus/malware clean up, I went into the system config utility > boot.ini>
then placed a check in the safemode box.
I rebooted. It still wont go into safe mode and wont even reboot normally to
reg windows mode.

It trys to reboot on its own after 30 seconds. But the blue screen flashes,
then it tries to reboot over and over again. No matter which option I pick
(last known config, safe mode networking, safe mode, etc), it just tries to
reboot over and over again like a broken record.
I can get into BIOS by pushing F10 (or F12 I think), but I dont know what I
can do there.
At this point, i just want my pc to be able to boot normally and I will see
what I can do in reg windows mode as far as cleaning.
Please help in easy terms.
Thanks for your help in advance...

Jose

[...]

This is a common symptom of a malware infection.

Troubleshooters will sometimes (too often) use msconfig to change
boot.ini settings (like add the /SAFEBOOT option) and once that is
done, the malicious software will prevent the system from booting in
any kind of mode every again to undo the changes. This is the
malware's lame effort to keep you from removing it, so you must
outsmart it.

The easiest method of resolution is to boot into the XP Recovery
Console using either a genuine bootable XP installation CD or a
bootable Recovery Console CD you can create yourself (no XP media is
required). Any system recovery or system restore CDs that may have
come with a store bought system will not help you.

A lot of people don't have or don't know of they have a genuine
bootable XP installation CD, so to be 100% sure of what you have, make
your own bootable Recovery Console CD. It is a good thing to have for
days when you need it - like today.

Once you boot into the Recovery Console, you can rebuild you boot.ini
file without the extra option, or simply rename the afflicted boot.ini
file to something like boot.ini.bak and reboot. The boot.ini file is
not required to boot a typical XP installation. XP will complain
about the missing file, but it will still boot.

Once the system boots, rename the boot.ini.bak file back to boot.ini,
run msconfig and undo the changes you made which is usually to remove
the /SAFEBOOT option.

Once the system boots successfully, you know now not to add options to
your boot.ini file, use other methods to detect and remove the malware
from your system. Adding the /SAFEBOOT option is not on the list.

Marcy

Hi Jose, I DO have the original discs that came with my infected Windows Xp
sp2 IE7 Home edition OEM LAPTOP, since it was bought new. But I would like
to make a "bootable Recovery Console CD that I can create yourself", as you
said.
I hope you can show me step by step instructions how to 'make' this copy.
Right now I am using my desktop computer that have the same OS as Laptop.
Can I use the desktop to make this 'copy'??

ALso, the steps that you gave me below on how to do the recovery.....are
they step by step? Because I will be following it step by step.
Thanks for your reply

--
Thanks so very much for your help-! ! ! !
[...]

The bootable ISO image file you need to download is called:

xp_rec_con.iso

Download the ISO file from here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?ueyyzfymmig

Use this free and easy program to create your bootable CD:

http://www.imgburn.com/

Instructions for how to burn:

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=61

It would be a good idea to test your bootable CD on a computer that is
working.

You may need to adjust the computer BIOS settings to use the CD ROM
drive as the first boot device instead of the hard disk. These
adjustments are made before Windows tries to load. If you miss it,
you will have to reboot the system again.

When you boot on the CD, follow the prompts:

Press any key to boot from CD...

The Windows Setup... will proceed.

Press 'R' to enter the Recovery Console.

Select the installation you want to access (usually 1: C:\WINDOWS)

You may be asked to enter the Administrator password (usually empty).

You should be in the C:\WINDOWS folder. This is the same as the C:
\WINDOWS folder you see in explorer.

RC allows basic file commands - copy, rename, replace, delete, cd,
chkdsk, fixboot, fixmbr, etc.

For you, it should go something like this:

cd \
attrib -shr boot.ini
ren boot.ini boot.ini.bak

Remove the CD, type exit to reboot the system, ignore the complaining.

In Windows Explorer, browse to c:\ and rename boot.ini.bak (or copy
it) back to boot.ini, run msconfig, undo the /SAFEBOOT.

Download, install, update and do a full scan with these free malware
detection programs:

Malwarebytes (MBAM): http://malwarebytes.org/
SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS): http://www.superantispyware.com/

They can be uninstalled later if desired.

Marcy

HI,
Jose I decided to use the CD that came with my WIndows XP Home Edition
Laptop so that I can avoid more steps & messing up more...

I started the CD....
Windows did the set up in blue background. Then it stopped and went to
Welcome to setup.

I Pressed 'R' to enter the Recovery Console.

Then it says, Which Windows installation would you like to log onto ( 1:
C:\WINDOWS), I clicked on the number "1" then enter. Then it asked for the
Admin password, I just clicked enter cause there was never a pw made.

THen this came up C:\WINDOWS>
So I typed " ren boot.ini boot.ini.bak " after the C:\WINDOWS>.... to look
like this
C:\WINDOWS>ren boot.ini boot.ini.bak

I clicked enter. The message came up " The parameter is not valid. Try /?
for help.
I retyped it without a space after "ren". This came up: "The command is not
recognized.Type help for a list of supported commands."
I also typed it cd \attrib -shr boot.ini ren boot.ini boot.ini.bak
I also got the same error , "The command is not recognized.Type help for a
list of supported commands."
I dont know if placing or removing spaces between the words makes a
difference but I did try it with or without spaces...... Anyways....

I remember you said to ignore windows complaining, so I figured that THIS
must be the part where Windows is complaining. So, I removed the disc, typed
EXIT. And the machine rebooted. But, it instantly went back to the Black
screen page with the safemode options and the countdown began again of the
cycle of rebooting endlessly after 30 seconds. So I assumed that the
Boot.ini file infact did NOT get re-named sucessfully.

What is going wrong here? ANy ideas what I might have missed or why the
renaming thing did not work?
I really appreciate your help. Thanks

Thanks so very much for your help-! ! ! !
Hi Jose, I DO have the original discs that came with my infected Windows
Xp
sp2 IE7 Home edition OEM LAPTOP, since it was bought new. But I would like
to make a "bootable Recovery Console CD that I can create yourself", as
you
said.
I hope you can show me step by step instructions how to 'make' this copy.
Right now I am using my desktop computer that have the same OS as Laptop.
Can I use the desktop to make this 'copy'??

ALso, the steps that you gave me below on how to do the recovery.....are
they step by step? Because I will be following it step by step.
Thanks for your reply

--
Thanks so very much for your help-! ! ! !"Jose" <[email protected]>
wrote in message

[...]

Unfortunetly, that is what my prob has been all this time. No matter what I
do, I cant get out of the area the windows adv options OR the other one that
other one that looks like that one ( both have black background and white
letters with options like: Safe mode, S-mode with networking, S-mode with
Command prompt, Last known, etc.) No matter which of these I select, it trys
to reboot and ends up back to this screen.

Getting into the Phoenix Bios (pressing F10) is the only thing that I have
been able to do that is different (not inc when using the CD)-And that area
is not black background with white letters, but rather bluish old fashioned
looking text and boxes.

I tried what you said (F12 then F8) >took me to the advanced screen again.
Tried normal and safe mode start up. It did the same thing its been
doing>>>>>the reboot pattern that takes me back to this screen.

Like I told Jose, I have the CD that came with my Laptop and I can not
rename the boot.ini file so that I can reboot in norm mode so that I can
UNCHECK the box in Msconfig.......Once I do that,I can start cleaning up the
malware and get my laptop scanned.
Any other things I can try???
Luckly I have a desktop pc I can use to read all this .
Thanks

Marcy

I have suceeded in rebooting my machine to norm windows mode. I renamed the
file from boot.ini.bak to boot.ini OR boot.ini file>>>> And now I am stuck
on the following: When I go to run>msconfig>system config utility, the
boot.ini tab is not showing. So I am unable to UNCHECK the 'safeboot' box
becasue that tab is not there.
TAsk manager has been disabled by the malware. ugh
_____________

John John - MVP

The boot.ini tab isn't showing in the Msconfig utility because the
boot.ini file is not in its proper location, the file has to be in the
root of the system drive, usually C:\, alongside the NTDETECT.COM &
ntldr files.

John

Jose

I have suceeded in rebooting my machine to norm windows mode. I renamed the
file from boot.ini.bak to boot.ini OR boot.ini file>>>> And now I am stuck
on the following: When I go to run>msconfig>system config utility, the
boot.ini tab is not showing. So I am unable to UNCHECK the 'safeboot' box
becasue that tab is not there.
TAsk manager has been disabled by the malware. ugh
_____________

You need to be sure to use explorer after booting to rename
boot.ini.bak to boot.ini. msconfig can't find it...

If you cannot see the boot.ini file, in Explorer navigate to C:\,
click View, Folder Options, tick "Show hidden files and folders" and
UNtick Hide extensions for known file types.

The boot.ini needs to be in C:\

You almost got it!

Be sure to run those scans.

Marcy

Jose:
I have long ago unhidden my files and folders (hence was able to see the
boot.ini.bak file and rename it) from the folder view tab-
What I can't do is UNCHECK the safeboot box in msconfig because its not
there to uncheck.
You said that " The boot.ini needs to be in C:\" .....well the boot.ini was
not in C:\ but rather this area: C:\windows.
While I await for some answers from you all, I am doing a AVG scan.

John:
you said: The boot.ini tab isn't showing in the Msconfig utility because the
boot.ini file is not in its proper location, the file has to be in the
root of the system drive, usually C:\, alongside the NTDETECT.COM &
ntldr files.

Me: How do I get it back to the Msconfig Utility OR do I really need to do
this. I need to UNCHECK the safeboot box in Msconfig or wherever I can do
this. If I were to shut down my pc before I do this, I will have to do all
these steps over again (recovery consel) and fear damage to my pc can
happen.

I thank you and all for your help and patience.

--

Marcy said:
John:
you said: The boot.ini tab isn't showing in the Msconfig utility because the
boot.ini file is not in its proper location, the file has to be in the
root of the system drive, usually C:\, alongside the NTDETECT.COM &
ntldr files.

Me: How do I get it back to the Msconfig Utility OR do I really need to do
this. I need to UNCHECK the safeboot box in Msconfig or wherever I can do
this. If I were to shut down my pc before I do this, I will have to do all
these steps over again (recovery consel) and fear damage to my pc can
happen.

You said that you found a copy of it in C:\windows, copy it from there
to C:\. Msconfig looks for the boot.ini file in the root of the system
drive, if the file isn't there msconfig doesn't display the boot.ini tab.

John

Marcy

Horray. Simple enough. I actually thought of MOVING the boot.ini file to the
correct location but I did nt want to risk messing up. Thanks. Now I can
proceed with my malware cleanup.
Thanks to all.

John John - MVP

Marcy said:
Horray. Simple enough. I actually thought of MOVING the boot.ini file to the
correct location but I did nt want to risk messing up. Thanks. Now I can
proceed with my malware cleanup.
Thanks to all.

You're welcome.

John

Jose

Jose:
I have long ago unhidden my files and folders (hence was able to see the
boot.ini.bak file and rename it) from the folder view tab-
What I can't do is UNCHECK the safeboot box in msconfig because its not
there to uncheck.
You said that " The boot.ini needs to be in C:\" .....well the boot.ini was
not in  C:\ but rather this area: C:\windows.
While I await for some answers from you all,  I am doing a AVG scan.

Well, that is not where it is supposed to be of course.

What part of my instructions were incorrect - tell me what was wrong
so I can fix it so it is more clear the next time!

I think I said after you are sure you are in C:\WINDOWS (which you
were)...

cd \
attrib -shr boot.ini
ren boot.ini boot.ini.bak

Daave

Marcy said:
HI,
Jose I decided to use the CD that came with my WIndows XP Home Edition
Laptop so that I can avoid more steps & messing up more...

I started the CD....
Windows did the set up in blue background. Then it stopped and went to
Welcome to setup.

I Pressed 'R' to enter the Recovery Console.

Then it says, Which Windows installation would you like to log onto (
1: C:\WINDOWS), I clicked on the number "1" then enter. Then it asked
for the Admin password, I just clicked enter cause there was never a
pw made.
THen this came up C:\WINDOWS>
So I typed " ren boot.ini boot.ini.bak " after the C:\WINDOWS>....
to look like this
C:\WINDOWS>ren boot.ini boot.ini.bak

You need to change C:\WINDOWS to C:\

So, when you see C:\WINDOWS>

.... type "cd \" (including a space, but with no quotation marks), then
press enter

You will then see

C:\>

*Now* you can enter your rename command. :)

John John - MVP

Jose said:
Well, that is not where it is supposed to be of course.

What part of my instructions were incorrect - tell me what was wrong
so I can fix it so it is more clear the next time!

I think I said after you are sure you are in C:\WINDOWS (which you
were)...

cd \
attrib -shr boot.ini
ren boot.ini boot.ini.bak

The commands run in the current folder, you need to cd to the root
folder or use a fully qualified path.

John

Jose

You need to change C:\WINDOWS to C:\

So, when you see C:\WINDOWS>

... type "cd \" (including a space, but with no quotation marks), then
press enter

You will then see

C:\>

*Now* you can enter your rename command. :)

So you did not follow my steps even after using your own CD:

cd \
attrib -shr boot.ini
ren boot.ini boot.ini.bak

I will add a few sentences to my instructions to try to make them
better.

This has happened once before and I just don't understand it - cockpit
error!

I will fix it and thanks for the feedback.

Marcy

HI Jose,
This is what I typed in order to get the boot.ini renamed sucessfully...
C:WINDOWS>ren C:\Boot.ini Boot.ini.bak

What was missing in your instructions was the C:\ in AFTER the "ren".
I tried and tried to make your instructions work. But that C:\ was missing.

DOint that worked & I was able to log into windows and went to the system
congif utility to UNCHECK the safeboot box. THat was accomplished.

Unfortunately, I did an AVG scan at that time and it found some malware. It
is possible that this scan or another I used days before, was
quaratined/removed a virus that attached itself to the winlogon.exe file...

ANyways, I rebooted after that AVG scan and now my machine wont let me go
past the windows welcome logon screen......(blue screen)
I read somewhere that I can use my recovery concole (on my cd) to install or
copy a clean winlogon.exe file or somethng, to fix this prob...
SO that is where I am now.....Stuck again and I dont know what command to
put in the C:\windows> to do this....

Do you know what to do, or anyone else?
Thanks
Please remember I need step by step instructions.

[...]

You did not follow the directions and by enhancing the instructions by
adding the unnecessary c:\ created your issue by merely renaming (in
effect - moving) the c:\boot.ini to the c:\windows folder. It did
just what you told it!

If you would have typed the:

cd \

at the C:\WINDOWS prompt, all would have been well.

There is nothing missing from my instructions, I will try to make them
more clear. I just copy and paste from my list of how to fix these
common problems.

I am not trying to be an arse, I have used those instructions many,
many times and just want to figure out what part it not clear and
eliminate another message session if possible.

When you try to login to Windows now, do you enter your credentials
and it looks like it is starting to work and then see a "Saving your
settings" type message and just can't get past that with another logon
attempt?

You can fix that too, but now I am not so sure about my instructions
anymore!

Are you getting into Recovery Console using your Windows installation
CD or did you make the Recovery Console CD from the other instructions
(which also mentions the Administrator password thing).

Marcy

Hi Jose, You have been ery helpful and I appreciate that.
It was my lack of 'know how' that more likely keeps me from interpreting
your (or any ones instructions) the way it should be interpreted. This is
all new to me, so I thank you for your patience.
You asked this:
" When you try to login to Windows now, do you enter your credentials
and it looks like it is starting to work and then see a "Saving your
settings" type message and just can't get past that with another logon
attempt? "...answer is YES. I dont have my user acct where I type a
password. My user acct is the only one on there.

I am in the recovery console because I used my original CD that came with my
system. At this point, I know I have the I386 and the "winlogon.exe" . My
computer is at that screen where the winlogon.exe thing is at......

I am just waiting for the next step...
thank you again