Sysprep "prefers" Windows driver instead of mine ...

nicolas.gendron

Hi,

I want to use Sysprep to make a ghost of our production PC.
We have a custom driver for our NIC. This driver is not signed.
In the factory mode, this driver is installed and working.
After the image as been sealed, the defaut Windows signed driver is
used.

I search in this group and foud that I have to use the [Unattended]
section of the .ini file.
So here is what I added in the .ini file :

[Unattended]
OemPnPDriversPath=\Drivers
DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

But, this does not seems to work.
I reinstall the drivers from the C:\Drivers location and it works, so
the drivers in there are the good one.

Any idea?

Thanks a lot.

Nicolas

Adam Leinss

(e-mail address removed) wrote in @h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:
[Unattended]
OemPnPDriversPath=\Drivers
DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

But, this does not seems to work.
I reinstall the drivers from the C:\Drivers location and it works, so
the drivers in there are the good one.

Are the drivers in the root of \drivers or in a folder below drivers?
Make sure they are in the root.

Also, purge any OEM*.INF from C:\windows\inf and then try the sysprep
again.

Adam

nicolas.gendron

Hi,

Thanks for your answer, however it still not works.

- My drivers are in the root of "\Drivers" folder.
- I don't have any OEM*.inf in Windows\inf folder.

Should I remove the .sys related to my driver in
Windows\System32\Drivers?
I don't use sysprep's mini-setup ... should I use it?
Is there any way to get a log of what sysprep is doing or a log of the
installation to know what append?

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Nicolas

Adam said:
(e-mail address removed) wrote in @h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:
[Unattended]
OemPnPDriversPath=\Drivers
DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

But, this does not seems to work.
I reinstall the drivers from the C:\Drivers location and it works, so
the drivers in there are the good one.

Are the drivers in the root of \drivers or in a folder below drivers?
Make sure they are in the root.

Also, purge any OEM*.INF from C:\windows\inf and then try the sysprep
again.

Adam

nicolas.gendron

It seems that I have a file named "unattend.txt" in the root of Sysprep
folder.

It is supposed to be there?
Can it be the source of my problem?

Thanks,

Nicolas

Adam said:
(e-mail address removed) wrote in @h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:
[Unattended]
OemPnPDriversPath=\Drivers
DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

But, this does not seems to work.
I reinstall the drivers from the C:\Drivers location and it works, so
the drivers in there are the good one.

Are the drivers in the root of \drivers or in a folder below drivers?
Make sure they are in the root.

Also, purge any OEM*.INF from C:\windows\inf and then try the sysprep
again.

Adam

nicolas.gendron

Here are some informations :

My [Unattended] section in sysprep.ini file looks like :

[Unattended]
DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
OemPnPDriversPath=drivers
OEMPreinstall=Yes
UpdateInstalledDrivers=Yes

however, it seem that DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore line is being ignore.
In setupapi.log there is the line :

#I087 Driver node not trusted, rank changed from 0x00000003 to
0x00008003.

Any ideas ???

Thanks a lot.

Nic

Adam said:
[...]

Interesting. You have me a bit stumped.

I did look up the above error message via Google and found this from
http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/b/a/eba1050f-a31d-436b-9281-
92cdfeae4b45/SetupAPILog.doc:

7.1.1.1.1.2 INF Cache Needs Updating

SetupAPI logs the following messages during the finding-the-drivers
stage of driver installation. These messages are associated with
locating the modified blender.inf file.
@ 20:41:06.656 #I382 "blender.PNF" migrate: INF may have been
modified.
@ 20:41:07.813 #V042 Opened INF "E:\WINDOWS\inf\blender.inf", PNF
created (Languge = 0409).
@ 20:41:07.829 #I022 Found "Blender_Hardware_ID" in E:\WINDOWS\inf
\blender.inf; Device: "Blender_Device_Description
"; Driver: "Blender_Driver_Description"; Provider:
"Blender_Provider_Name"; Mfg: "Blender_Manufacturer_Name"; Section
name: "Blender_install-section-name".
@ 20:41:07.829 #I087 Driver node not trusted, rank changed from
0x00000001 to 0x00008001.
@ 20:41:07.829 #I023 Actual install section: Blender_install-section-
name.NT]. Rank: 0x00008001. Driver date: 07/01/2003. Version:
5.1.3604.0.

In the previous example, the #I382 through #I023 messages indicate
that the dates of the INF and PNF files do not match and that the INF
file is unsigned. Due to the former condition, SetupAPI regenerates
the PNF file. Due to the latter condition, SetupAPI changes the INF
file’s rank to 0x00008001. (The date of the INF file is specified by
its DriverVer directive.)
If the log file contains a #I087 message for a signed INF file,
perform the following steps:

1. If the INF file is not in the default system INF file directory,
delete only the PNF file.
2. If the INF file is in the default system INF file directory, and
its name is oem*.inf, delete the INF file and the PNF file.
3. Re-install the device.

---------------------

So based on all that gibberish, I don't think it's rejecting the
driver, but it's just telling you the dates of the PNF and INF file
don't match and it changes the file "rank" accordingly. I have no
idea though why it uses PNF files to cache INF files.

I'm also not aware of any logs of sysprep action.

Is using NewSID instead of Sysprep an option in this case? Also, are
you specifying -pnp for sysprep on the command line? If you aren't
do so and vice versa and see what the results are.

Adam

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
It's changing the ranking based on the fact that the driver is unsigned.
So when we find a match of the PNP ID's we then use the better ranked
driver based on the rating.
Since the driver was unsigned the ranking is lowered.
The inbox driver now ranks higher than the non-signed drivers so the inbox
driver gets installed.
See also:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/DevInst_d/h
h/DevInst_d/install-over_806ed23a-ab2b-4891-bad1-33fc1dba7c13.xml.asp
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/DevInst_d/h
h/DevInst_d/install-over_276b1d55-635f-48c4-9f03-9e99426723df.xml.asp
You can override these settings while inside the OS.
The unattend setting allows you to install unsigned drivers, without
nofifications during setup. But it doesn't change the ranking of how
drivers get installed during setup.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
<Subject: Re: Sysprep "prefers" Windows driver instead of mine ...
<From: Adam Leinss <[email protected]>
<Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 03:50:56 GMT
<
<[email protected] wrote in
<<
<> Here are some informations :
<>
<---------------------
<
<So based on all that gibberish, I don't think it's rejecting the
<driver, but it's just telling you the dates of the PNF and INF file
<don't match and it changes the file "rank" accordingly. I have no
<idea though why it uses PNF files to cache INF files.
<
<I'm also not aware of any logs of sysprep action.
<
<Is using NewSID instead of Sysprep an option in this case? Also, are
<you specifying -pnp for sysprep on the command line? If you aren't
<do so and vice versa and see what the results are.
<
<Adam
<--
<Visit my PC Tech blog at www.leinss.com/blog
<

nicolas.gendron

Hi Darrell,

Where can I override the setting of ranking in the OS ?

On my Factory image (before running sysprep) in "System Properties",
tab "Hardware", "Driver Signing Options" the action regarding unsigned
drivers is set to "Ignore".

The problem still there so I think I'm not at the right place.

Thanks

Nicolas

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
The answer is to sign the driver automatically override the driver other
than remove the inbox driver(rename the inf)
That setting is just to allow the driver to install without prompts. That
settings is not to override the ranking process, it's designed to allow
drivers to install during setup that otherwise were not available.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

<From: (e-mail address removed)
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
<Date: 30 Aug 2006 09:06:26 -0700
<
<Hi Darrell,
<
<"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" wrote:
[...]
<> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights
<
<